Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #91
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
>I ordered the original purple one. <

Did you order the same case as me? Copycat. j/k I look forward to hearing what you think of it.

As far as some other questions that came up:

- The inside cover sure feels like suede to me. So much so that I wondered if the thin layer of leather is actually on the inside! I have no idea if it's really suede, but it does feel nice when you hold the case.

- The whole thing feels very sturdy, it doesn't feel like an envelope at all. In fact the sturdiness makes it feel more like an all plastic case. It doesn't have any give at all. Again, I have never seen nor felt the Amazon case but I wonder if it has a bit of a softer feel.

- It seems to be well-constructed and the suede or suede-like inside cover seems to be perfectly glued on. Is it durable? Check back with me in six months!

- I am concerned that it isn't always turning off the light. I have "caught" it leaving the light on once for sure (now I spot check by looking for a glow between the cover and the bottom buttons. Easier to see in the dark). I think my battery is draining faster but I haven't had my pw for very long, so I'm not certain. Could be paranoia.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #92
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange! View Post

Has anyone tried a TPU cover (or is that a different thread altogether)?
That is all I ever use on my Kindles. I don't like dealing with the folded back cover, and the tpu is lighter still, and easier to hold when reading. Should I decide to take it on a trip, I use my old nook leather Hutton envelope, or a built slipcover. I have this Blue, search ebay for tpu paperwhite for other colors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fosmon-Durab...#ht_3307wt_980

Last edited by Tabatha; 09-25-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #93
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Meh. I should have known that I shouldn't have ordered that Amazon knock-off cover (Googleproduct version 3).

1. It's bigger... MUCH bigger than Googleproduct version 1. (And heavier too.)
2. The magnetic clasp is in my way. After folding the cover back, it's exactly where I place my right index finger.
3. I like the smooth feeling of Version 1 better than the heavy texture of Version 3.

This is all just personal preference; the cover is sturdy and well made, with a felt lining inside. The closing magnet works as expected, and the sleep/wake function works as it should. No problems there. I think you'd be hard pressed to differentiate the black one from the original black Amazon one. If you handle your Kindle roughly like throwing it into bags and such, you may prefer Version 3 (or the original) because of the closing magnet and the fact that it's bigger and thicker than version 1.

This particular cover has a defect though: it has a scuff mark, on the top edge of the rim/bezel, in the middle. I'm one of those persons that will be *very* irritated by that because I'll always be looking at it. (See picture in attachment.)

Because of that I won't sell the cover; I'll return it to the seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
LOL. That first icon made me think one thing: "Wax on, Wax off"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	damage.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	112123  

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-25-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #94
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
@element: Which one are you describing in your last post ? In our cover frenzy, I am losing track of who ordered what....

Edit: ON TOPIC : I had breakfast this morning while I was reading, and I must have had a tiny drop of olive oil on my finger. Well, it marked immediately on the purple cover and I can't take it off...

It's not a big stain at all, it is the size of a needle head, but it shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Meh. I should have known that I shouldn't have ordered that Amazon knock-off cover (Googleproduct version 3).

1. It's bigger... MUCH bigger than Googleproduct version 1. (And heavier too.)
2. The magnetic clasp is in my way. After folding the cover back, it's exactly where I place my right index finger.
3. I like the smooth feeling of Version 1 better than the heavy texture of Version 3.

This is all just personal preference; the cover is sturdy and well made, with a felt lining inside. The closing magnet works as expected, and the sleep/wake function works as it should. No problems there. I think you'd be hard pressed to differentiate the black one from the original black Amazon one. If you handle your Kindle roughly like throwing it into bags and such, you may prefer Version 3 (or the original) because of the closing magnet and the fact that it's bigger and thicker than version 1.

This particular cover has a defect though: it has a scuff mark, on the top edge of the rim/bezel, in the middle. I'm one of those persons that will be *very* irritated by that because I'll always be looking at it. (See picture in attachment.)

Because of that I won't sell the cover; I'll return it to the seller.
I have a word for that, but I can't post it here It's an adjective and starts with an "a"..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
LOL. That first icon made me think one thing: "Wax on, Wax off"
Is the bar open yet ?

Last edited by aceflor; 09-25-2013 at 02:27 PM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #95
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post

Edit: ON TOPIC : I had breakfast this morning while I was reading, and I must have had a tiny drop of olive oil on my finger. Well, it marked immediately on the purple cover and I can't take it off...

My purple cover also got a small stain after the fisrt night I used it. I have no idea what it is, maybe I put lotion on my hands and some of it was still on my fingertips - dunno, but it is not coming off. Very disappointing. This makes me appreciate the official cover so much more, if only they could add a few new colors this year!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 03:14 AM   #96
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:

Sometimes those oil stains dissolve and disappear with time. Give it a week. I did that to my new leather wallet and was also angry. But after a while the stain was gone. The worst thing to do is to try to remove it.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #97
kledor
dreamer
kledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange! View Post
Thanks! Looking forward to hearing your opinion.
So Tabatha already gave you an answer above, but I just got my TPU cover and I'll share my first thoughts.
This is the cover I ordered: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (I considered the Fosmon one, too, but in the end this won).
The cover's purple was surprisingly light, I expected it to be darker. As you can see, it's both matte and shiny, a bit seethrough on the back (it looks really awesome from the side). It feels really nice, you get a good grip. It's still fresh out of the box, so the 'lip' on the front is not seamless around the device, but I expect with a little bit of use it will mold to the edges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fr_825.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	112173  

Last edited by kledor; 09-26-2013 at 07:46 AM.
kledor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #98
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by kledor View Post
So Tabatha already gave you an answer above, but I just got my TPU cover and I'll share my first thoughts.
This is the cover I ordered: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (I considered the Fosmon one, too, but in the end this won).
The cover's purple was surprisingly light, I expected it to be darker. As you can see, it's both matte and shiny, a bit seethrough on the back (it looks really awesome from the side). It feels really nice, you get a good grip. It's still fresh out of the box, so the 'lip' on the front is not seamless around the device, but I expect with a little bit of use it will mold to the edges.
You could photocopy a page out of your favorite book and stick it between the PW and the case, that way the writing could shine through
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #99
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
That is all I ever use on my Kindles. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kledor View Post
So Tabatha already gave you an answer above, but I just got my TPU cover and I'll share my first thoughts....
Thanks. I like the idea of a TPU case and the price is right, so I'll probably give one of these a try.

Quote:
You could photocopy a page out of your favorite book and stick it between the PW and the case, that way the writing could shine through
What a creative idea--thanks!
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #100
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The original purple case has arrived and is my favorite one. I'll keep the orange one and this one, the others still to arrive will be xmas presents.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #101
kledor
dreamer
kledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
I tried it with a note to see how it looks and you're right, it looks great. I don't have custon screensavers, maybe I could do the custon thing on the back
kledor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #102
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Aceflor, is this the one you bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smart-Ultra-...61281774727%26

That's the one I bought, in purple.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #103
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
Quote:
I always bought the clear tpu case and a decalgirl skin for all my past kindles, which showed thru nicely, but unfortunately, they have not made a clear for the paperwhite. Maybe now that the new one is the same size as last years model, hopefully a clear will be made.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #104
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Aceflor, is this the one you bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smart-Ultra-...61281774727%26

That's the one I bought, in purple.

eP
I bought this one in purple, and it's the first one that arrived with an orange one that has the almost exact design of the kindle original cover. I liked the orange much better and decided to order the kindle original cover in purple.

So i will use the kindle original cover in purple for the pw2 and the orange one for the pw1.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #105
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I bought this one in purple, and it's the first one that arrived with an orange one that has the almost exact design of the kindle original cover. I liked the orange much better and decided to order the kindle original cover in purple.

So i will use the kindle original cover in purple for the pw2 and the orange one for the pw1.
The orange cover is almost exactly the same as the original Amazon, yeah? As nice as the ebay covers all look, I'm leery to get anything else besides the original Amazon cover as I love it so much.

I wish the Amazon original PW cover in Persimmon was the color of the orange one you got. In person the Persimmon isn't very orange, it's much more red. It's a beautiful color, a very deep coral, but I actually would prefer a more true orange color.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote