Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
Cold Turkey

Okay, I have to stop this.

I have a wall in my living room that's floor-to-ceiling bookcases, with probably 100 pbooks awaiting a read (and a bunch more that I would happily re-read). The To Be Read folder of my Kindle just passed 325. We won't even discuss my laptop's hard drive.

At an average rate of two books a week, that's at least four years of reading at my fingertips. I've always been a bit of a book hoarder, but the purchase of my Kindle a year ago has made my habit much, much worse. I feel like I'm drowning in books.

I'm JDK1962 and I'm a book hoarder. It's been...umm...17 hours since my last acquisition. Here's what I'm going to do to get better:

-- I will stop cruising my local thrift stores, where I seem to continually find (to my eye) excellent books in pristine condition at ridiculous prices.
-- I will stop visiting my local library's new fiction and non-fiction sections.
-- I will stop downloading ebooks from my local library (or anywhere else).
-- I'll let my spouse use up my credit at my local used book store.
-- I will write down books and authors that appeal, rather than running off to Amazon/my local bookstore/my local library and letting books jump the queue ("...but it's the new Reacher novel from Lee Child! I'll just buzz through that, THEN I'll finish The Sense of an Ending.").
-- On a related note, I'll continue listening to the NYT books podcast and reading the weekly email of featured NYT reviews, but I'll write down rather than purchase what looks/sounds good.
-- To address the backlog more effectively, I will be rigorous about my 50 pages (or 25%) and re-evaluate policy, i.e., if not enjoying a book by a certain point, grant yourself permission to let it go.
-- I will not buy that Kindle DX I've had my eye on that will make reading all my PDFs more practical/enjoyable.
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Lightweight.

I have more than 1,000 ebooks waiting to be read.

pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Me too dammit.

Still while books are addictive they don't damage your kidneys, and ebooks do not create an unsighty mess on the bedside table or topple over onto the floor beside the bed

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I wish they had a "shuffle" feature on ereaders, like on MP3 players. I would just hit shuffle, and read whatever came up next.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Well, if I factored in PDFs and other ebooks on that hard drive we weren't going to talk about, I might be able to give you a run for your money. But I will concede your superior hoarding skills.

But there's a conversation there. Why do you think you've acquired that many books? How many do you add a week? How many do you read/discard in a week. Do you anticipate actually reading them all?

The books that I have are not random acquisitions. Each and every one is a book that, at some point, I consciously decided to read. And as I (too rapidly) approach 50, I'm starting to think that if I don't stop acquiring new books, I will shuffle off this mortal coil before I get through my current set of books.
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Lightweight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK1962 View Post
Well, if I factored in PDFs.... I might be able to give you a run for your money.

But I will concede your superior hoarding skills.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I have been able to nearly eliminate my pbook collection over the last couple of years. This is due in part to my move to FL and away from any Ollie's location. I don't know of any bargain book stores in my area and I fully intend to keep it that way. I cannot be trusted in or around book stores and I'm aware so I avoid temptation. I have managed to give away all but the most important pbooks.

That being said, my ebook collection is completely out of control. I hate that Amazon knows me and is always showing me good stuff that I will like. It's pure torture that to even scroll down to read the reviews of a book we must pass the "suggestion line" of books that prey on our personal weaknesses.

At least my ebooks don't take up any space and don't require dusting.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
my tbr pile stays pretty consistent at around 50-60. Mainly because of the economy. I can't AFFORD more than that...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have about 100 ebooks to be read and maybe some 40 print books still to read on my shelves. Sadly I don't read as fast or as massively as some of you. So It could be years before I'm done and I'm not even talking about new readings I may acquire in the meantime.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I exhort each and every one of you to try my elder brother's new reading policy. After years of mild drinking, his memory isn't what it once was. He doesn't like the idea of ebooks (I am thinking of buying him a kindle for Christmas), but what he does have is a large collection of print books.

He has got into the habit of reading these same books over and over again, placing a date last read on the inside cover. He knows he won't be able to remember a book if he read it, say, five years ago, so when he finds one of these on his shelves, he'll choose that book and simply read it again.

His rationale, as he recently explained it to me, was that he knows he likes these books. He chose them. He knows that he enjoyed them, and is now considering buying no new books ever again. "I can just keep reading them over and over," he says. "I have gone through a selection process. I know I like them. Why should I try something new that might not appeal to me?"
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
JDK1962
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Young View Post
His rationale, as he recently explained it to me, was that he knows he likes these books. He chose them. He knows that he enjoyed them, and is now considering buying no new books ever again. "I can just keep reading them over and over," he says. "I have gone through a selection process. I know I like them. Why should I try something new that might not appeal to me?"
I already do that to some extent. Some books I just can't get rid of after reading, knowing I'll want to pick them up again. And I do.

But if I hear about, say, a new Michael Ondaatje novel, like The Cat's Table, I'm lost. I enjoyed The English Patient and Anil's Ghost (okay, could have given Divisidero a miss), so there's just no way I could miss out on what could be my new favorite book. So my To Be Read collection tally goes up by one.

Rinse and repeat. Story of my life.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK1962 View Post
But there's a conversation there. Why do you think you've acquired that many books? How many do you add a week? How many do you read/discard in a week. Do you anticipate actually reading them all?
Why? It's definitely a collecting thing. And I definitely do more collecting than reading. It's a bad habit for sure. Not only do I have so many books I've purchased, but about half of my reading is ebooks I borrow from the library. I buy maybe 1-5 per week, purchasing them if they are books that were on my wishlist and have become exceedingly cheap (under $3), and I get at least one per week when I get my $5 Amazon Gift Certificate from swagbucks. I pick up the occasional freebie from Amazon, but most of them aren't my cup of tea.

Ultimately, I generally finish 2 or 4 books a week. I'm at 107 for the year right now. This includes audiobooks (and I have a pretty big backlog of those as well). It takes me several weeks to get through an audiobook, as I generally only listen to those while driving.

Will I read them all? Not in this lifetime. Not if I don't stop collecting. I need an intervention.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:28 PM   #13
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
I have been able to nearly eliminate my pbook collection over the last couple of years. This is due in part to my move to FL and away from any Ollie's location. I don't know of any bargain book stores in my area and I fully intend to keep it that way. I cannot be trusted in or around book stores and I'm aware so I avoid temptation. I have managed to give away all but the most important pbooks.

That being said, my ebook collection is completely out of control. I hate that Amazon knows me and is always showing me good stuff that I will like. It's pure torture that to even scroll down to read the reviews of a book we must pass the "suggestion line" of books that prey on our personal weaknesses.

At least my ebooks don't take up any space and don't require dusting.
My wife suggested that I would be able to get rid of my physical library after I got my NC. Blasphemy I told her.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #14
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I think everyone in this thread needs to talk to Pdurrant and get over to the ebook addictive thread!

Please, it's for your own good!!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #15
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Most of my print books are in boxes in the attic. At least I can access my ebooks!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote