Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
Jinnai
Jinnai began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which Tablet

A while ago i was wondering whetherr to go to a ebook reader v. a tablet. I've decided on a tablet mostly because i tend to do stuff in unlit/poorly lit areas and wanted to get video playback with my cruncyroll membership. The only real advantage ereaderss have as far as i can tell at this point is battery life (i'm kind of dubious about the eyestrain thing because i get eye strain reading books).

So here's my criteria

Must:
  • 7: minimum screensize
  • good streaming 720p video playback
  • atleast 6.5~hrs battery
  • atlest wifi
Preferred:
  • free 3g - if it has 3g, i don't want/can't afford to pay
  • not needing to root the dev nice to get full access to google's app store
  • touchscreen - non-resisrtive (i have had bad results with them long-terrm use)
I don't want any apple device and i've heard the Nook Color doesn't do video playback well from a store rep, but that was obviously a non-rooted nook so i don't know if its just their poor programing or truely poor cpu.

It should go without saying, but i'd prefer to pay less, but I don't need to have an extremely cheap tablet

Probably other stuff here, but for manga reading, i can just download an app.
Jinnai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Galaxy Tab.

A wifi version is also (or will) be available on the market. Full Android Market out of the box and decent hardware specs. I actually own one and the resolution is really good and the playback is smooth for videos.

For Manga, you are right, as long as you have access to Android Market, you can download a good app from there. But I personally prefer 10" for comics, but that's me.

Even if you can root the Nook Color, won't give you the same experience like Galaxy Tab, not for video. The GT's CPU is more powerful, which you cannot make it better on the Nook Color regardless of if it's rooted or not.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinnai View Post
A while ago i was wondering whetherr to go to a ebook reader v. a tablet. I've decided on a tablet mostly because i tend to do stuff in unlit/poorly lit areas and wanted to get video playback with my cruncyroll membership. The only real advantage ereaderss have as far as i can tell at this point is battery life (i'm kind of dubious about the eyestrain thing because i get eye strain reading books).

So here's my criteria

Must:
  • 7: minimum screensize
  • good streaming 720p video playback
  • atleast 6.5~hrs battery
  • atlest wifi
Preferred:
  • free 3g - if it has 3g, i don't want/can't afford to pay
  • not needing to root the dev nice to get full access to google's app store
  • touchscreen - non-resisrtive (i have had bad results with them long-terrm use)
I don't want any apple device and i've heard the Nook Color doesn't do video playback well from a store rep, but that was obviously a non-rooted nook so i don't know if its just their poor programing or truely poor cpu.

It should go without saying, but i'd prefer to pay less, but I don't need to have an extremely cheap tablet

Probably other stuff here, but for manga reading, i can just download an app.
as of this morning the nook color has been updated to add Flash video support and some added email support etc.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:22 AM   #4
AlexSno
Connoisseur
AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Well i would recommend going for a tablet when it comes to "eBook VS tablet" battle. And the battery i thing if you don't plan to go on a Alpine expedition where you would want to read an eBook should not be a concern when it comes to tablet. Most of them last a day and even more
AlexSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Galaxy Tab.

A wifi version is also (or will) be available on the market. Full Android Market out of the box and decent hardware specs. I actually own one and the resolution is really good and the playback is smooth for videos.

For Manga, you are right, as long as you have access to Android Market, you can download a good app from there. But I personally prefer 10" for comics, but that's me.

Even if you can root the Nook Color, won't give you the same experience like Galaxy Tab, not for video. The GT's CPU is more powerful, which you cannot make it better on the Nook Color regardless of if it's rooted or not.
I gotta agree with Jo here. Also there are many tablets on the way if you can wait a few months.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 AM   #6
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I gotta agree with Jo here. Also there are many tablets on the way if you can wait a few months.
Said the guy that already waited a few months after waiting a few months of waiting a few months =P (I also waited a few months... so we're on the same boat).

With your requirements you can choose almost any tablet out there. Especially with the 6.5 hrs. I would say that the new Galaxy tabs are your safe bet. Other things appeal more to me like the Asus transformer. Oh, oh! I almost forgot something... There was a rumour around that some tablet would support the "microsoft office 365" ... now THAT would be a game changer for me, because for just reading you can grab any tablet out there... but for really opting for work a tablet with this functionality would stand out *glares at his iPad for failing at Word and Powerpoint*. So, if you want to wait for something wait for this... otherwise just pick your poison.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessangel View Post
Said the guy that already waited a few months after waiting a few months of waiting a few months =P (I also waited a few months... so we're on the same boat).

With your requirements you can choose almost any tablet out there. Especially with the 6.5 hrs. I would say that the new Galaxy tabs are your safe bet. Other things appeal more to me like the Asus transformer. Oh, oh! I almost forgot something... There was a rumour around that some tablet would support the "microsoft office 365" ... now THAT would be a game changer for me, because for just reading you can grab any tablet out there... but for really opting for work a tablet with this functionality would stand out *glares at his iPad for failing at Word and Powerpoint*. So, if you want to wait for something wait for this... otherwise just pick your poison.

yes, there is always something "right around the corner" If the existing models meet your needs ... buy and don't worry about what is coming. That's why I have the Xoom. It works for me. I do expect new, better, cheaper models to arrive (and they already are).
Old 04-27-2011, 02:17 AM   #8
ps249
Banned
ps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheese

Device: nook, ipad 2, ipod touch
I recently puchased an ipad 2. I was reading on the nook classic for a year. I actually prefer the ipad because I can read a book in low light conditions. With the nook classic- I always had to have a bright light shining on it to read.
ps249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:02 AM   #9
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
What about the just released Asus Eee Transformer? I think it meets all your criteria save 3G/4G which if you aren't part of a plan already is usually over priced for a capped service that in no way is worth while on a device designed to consume audio and video streams over the web.

I'm with the OP either some sort of realistic mobile broadband service or leave it out. Heck even the ability to swap out SIM cards as needed would be good.

Also while not the best of devices there is that one Viewsonic that whatever was running on sale last week. Not perfect but a heck of a lot less expensive than the other more refined devices like the Xoom or GT (really like both btw but just don't want an Android device...)

Me? I am waiting for better windows devices if they eeeever come about.

Also check out the tablet portal on Amazon. It has most of the mainstream as well as some detour devices so you can compare pretty easily.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link...pf_rd_i=565108
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
Jinnai

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy3b View Post
Also while not the best of devices there is that one Viewsonic that whatever was running on sale last week. Not perfect but a heck of a lot less expensive than the other more refined devices like the Xoom or GT (really like both btw but just don't want an Android device...)
Many of those and other ones running on 2.2/2.1 have been modified to not allow updating from what I've read. That's why I'm a bit sceptical on what android device, if that's the way I go, to buy. I've also heard there were suppose to be some dual-core tablets suppose to be out soon, but "soon" keeps seeming to be pushed back.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
Many of those and other ones running on 2.2/2.1 have been modified to not allow updating from what I've read. That's why I'm a bit sceptical on what android device, if that's the way I go, to buy. I've also heard there were suppose to be some dual-core tablets suppose to be out soon, but "soon" keeps seeming to be pushed back.
Yeah, I'm hesitant to buy one of the cheaper/smaller tablets until I know 3.0 is available or will be upgradeable for sure.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I have a galaxy tab. I bought it because I had to give my phone upgrade to my daughter, and I wanted to play around with an android device until my phone upgrade (daughter got an iphone). I really like it (went through the entire Angry Birds and Angry Birds Seasons), but I find I always grab my Kindle - the tab only makes it half the time. But, I transferred all the non-DRM movies I had in itunes, and boy, do those look nice! I used to watch only b&w on my ipod, but color really looks great on the tab.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #13
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Quote:
very good point. In fact it's one reason I've avoided any of the early gen Android devices. I sure don't want a device that won't run the software in just a couple years. One of my pet peeves about Linux in general due to all the various builds for different platforms. I just want my devices to work OS wise. I never enjoyed system level stuff or even cross-platform development. That I leave to the young-guns as they still have the energy to chase that moving target.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
Jinnai

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy3b View Post
very good point. In fact it's one reason I've avoided any of the early gen Android devices. I sure don't want a device that won't run the software in just a couple years. One of my pet peeves about Linux in general due to all the various builds for different platforms..
I think most of that has to do with far more rapid pace they release new builds compared to OS/2 and Windows.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #15
grumpy3b
Banned

Quote:
I think most of that has to do with far more rapid pace they release new builds compared to OS/2 and Windows.
No doubt about the updates. And while it's been a while since I seriously considered a Linux distro, part of what I find off-putting is the rather random seeming updates. I think you are dead on why I don't feel comfy with the OS, it's the updates. I never thought of it but that feels right. I might have to setup a virtual PC and try a newer Ubuntu or something just for giggles. Great just what I need, another black hole to suck all my time away never to be had seen again! hahaha..