Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Manual page break as chapter

I want do do something very simple-- the sort of clearly defined, repetitive task that is tedious to do by hand that computers were designed for. But I can't find a way to do it. The simple task: I want to make epubs from pre-existing DOC files where the epub has a chapter entry in the TOC after every manual page break, with the bold-fonted title/chapter line directly after the page break being used as the title of the chapter entry in the epub TOC. Should be a snap for software to do. But does any software do it? Best answer would be how to do it in Calibre, or MS Word, or the Atlantis word processor, which I'm trying out now.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I want do do something very simple-- the sort of clearly defined, repetitive task that is tedious to do by hand that computers were designed for. But I can't find a way to do it. The simple task: I want to make epubs from pre-existing DOC files where the epub has a chapter entry in the TOC after every manual page break, with the bold-fonted title/chapter line directly after the page break being used as the title of the chapter entry in the epub TOC. Should be a snap for software to do. But does any software do it? Best answer would be how to do it in Calibre, or MS Word, or the Atlantis word processor, which I'm trying out now.
Calibre can't do the DOC conversion part.
(And this assumes there is some sort of identifiable Chapter markup (The word 'Chapter' usually works)

Save as filtered HTML. Now convert with Calibre.

(Another option is Writer2EPUB plugin for Open Office . This deals with the DOC part and the EPUB part pretty well.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre can't do the DOC conversion part.
(And this assumes there is some sort of identifiable Chapter markup (The word 'Chapter' usually works)

Save as filtered HTML. Now convert with Calibre.

(Another option is Writer2EPUB plugin for Open Office . This deals with the DOC part and the EPUB part pretty well.)
The DOC part isn't an issue-- I can convert the DOC to RTF or HTML or even directly to EPUB. None of which allows Calibre to do what I want-- make TOC entries at every manual page break.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
If you have the html, load it in Sigil. Do a search/replace for the page-split point in the HTML code and replace it by a Sigil chapter marker (<hr class="sigilChapterBreak" />). Press F6 or the menu option 'split on SGF Chapter Markers' and you have a separate file for each chapter/document part. You can also easily change the titles to headers with the search/replace.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
eping
ePub Maker
eping began at the beginning.

Device: iPad,Kindle 3, Nook 2
ePub Maker can split chapters on Word section break instead of page break,
also can extract chapter title automatically from first heading-styled line instead of bold text.
eping is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert