Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
Lorkoff
Lorkoff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Read metadata from file contents

In Preferences>Import/Export>Adding books, there is an option: Read metadata from file contents rather than file name. It seems you have to have either one or the other. Is it possible to have both? Let me explain. I have my files names named exactly the way I want them (LastName, First Name - Title). Unfortunately, the metadata of some files sometimes has them arranged in another way. On occasion, it is spectacularly wrong. Therefore I wish to maintain the read file name option. However, if I do this, I lose the other features of the metadata, such as cover and language (many of my books are in languages other than English), so I would like Calibre to read the author and title from my file name but the other data from the metadata. Is this possible? Thanks.
Lorkoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorkoff View Post
In Preferences>Import/Export>Adding books, there is an option: Read metadata from file contents rather than file name. It seems you have to have either one or the other. Is it possible to have both? Let me explain. I have my files names named exactly the way I want them (LastName, First Name - Title). Unfortunately, the metadata of some files sometimes has them arranged in another way. On occasion, it is spectacularly wrong. Therefore I wish to maintain the read file name option. However, if I do this, I lose the other features of the metadata, such as cover and language (many of my books are in languages other than English), so I would like Calibre to read the author and title from my file name but the other data from the metadata. Is this possible? Thanks.
The file internal metadata is not filterable (all or nothing)

Bulk metadata edit mode has a retrieve covers from books, but not other metadata (except comments)

Use (single) metadata edit mode; select the format on the right: use the blue i ; further adjust to taste: NEXT (wash,spin until dry )

If it is the Author that is mixed up, use the Quality Check PI:Fix section to correct (format initials, Flip names) those you SELECT from the list
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
adding, metadata, preferences