Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-17-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
KDDI's Color E-paper ... Giant Cellphone Display

KDDI Shows Prototype E-Paper Device Using "Liquid Powder" Display

Thanks to jonbaber for pointing this out to us!

We've heard bits and snatches about Bridgestone's "Liquid Powder" technology for a while, but this is the first time it's shown up as any sort of product. Previously, it was really sluggish, needing ~20 seconds to refresh the display, but this version is boasting an improvement to only ~12 seconds to refresh the whole screen -- they're really cooking now! Of course Liquid Powder does boast color, which is still an illusive commodity in the current e-paper market.

In an interesting move, the 13.1" (presumably diagonal) prototype device can only be used to display things that are already on your cell-phone display, if your cell has an infra-red link -- that's the only way it has to communicate. At first I couldn't see what they were getting at with that move, but they actually have an explanation that makes a sort of sense ... sorta:
Quote:
In the finance and insurance areas, there has been a strong need for a tool that can display personal information and other data at an appropriate size while ensuring security of the information.

The company developed this system, assuming that it would be used to display an almost full-scale A4 size pamphlet, for example, while ensuring high security using mobile phone functions such as remote lock and remote data deletion.
Okay, if they're seeing that need, I hope it works out well for them. In any case, it's exciting to see some sort of movement on new e-paper technology. Sure they've still got a ways to go on the refresh front, and the color looks a bit dull in these photos, but it's still good to see that folks other than e-Ink think it's a good enough idea to pursue.

Join the ongoing discussion here

Source Article here.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
digitalzen
Connoisseur
digitalzen doesn't litterdigitalzen doesn't litterdigitalzen doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
KDDI Shows Prototype E-Paper Device Using "Liquid Powder" Display

Thanks to jonbaber for pointing this out to us!

We've heard bits and snatches about Bridgestone's "Liquid Powder" technology for a while, but this is the first time it's shown up as any sort of product. Previously, it was really sluggish, needing ~20 seconds to refresh the display, but this version is boasting an improvement to only ~12 seconds to refresh the whole screen -- they're really cooking now! Of course Liquid Powder does boast color, which is still an illusive commodity in the current e-paper market.

In an interesting move, the 13.1" (presumably diagonal) prototype device can only be used to display things that are already on your cell-phone display, if your cell has an infra-red link -- that's the only way it has to communicate. At first I couldn't see what they were getting at with that move, but they actually have an explanation that makes a sort of sense ... sorta:
Okay, if they're seeing that need, I hope it works out well for them. In any case, it's exciting to see some sort of movement on new e-paper technology. Sure they've still got a ways to go on the refresh front, and the color looks a bit dull in these photos, but it's still good to see that folks other than e-Ink think it's a good enough idea to pursue.

Join the ongoing discussion here

Source Article here.

It does look a bit dull in the photos, but this seems pretty interesting -- look forward to keeping up with further developments on the e-ink front.
digitalzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just one nit to pick, this is actually e-paper, not e-Ink.

E-Ink, Inc. has the trademark on the term "e-ink" so we have to call these other electrophoretic display types something else, hence, "e-paper," since I, for one, refuse to try to pronounce "electrophoretic display" in casual conversation, and I really don't like typing it.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Well, you can use EPD which seems to be a pretty established acronym by now.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist

True, but eventually somebody's going to ask what it means, whereas "e-paper" is pretty self evident.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:53 PM   #6
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Personally, I abhor abbreviations. I choose to eschew obfuscation, and I really see acronyms as part of the problem. Yea, verily, I can easily infer your meaning from context, being an intelligent machine capable of parsing grossly poor syntax, but that does not mean that I like it.
An let us be honest--lest you are a physician in an emergency department, or a person in a combat zone, do you *really* need to be so quick with your speech, written or spoken?

Also, do not like contractions for the same reason (possible loss of data in transmission), and they have led to some interesting spelling anomalies in the English Language.

As for the device itself, Anything that gets me closer to a colour electrophoretic display coffee table--or best yet a multi-touch colour electrophoretic coffee table--is a boon to science and society as a whole.

Wonder if the item is capable of transferring everything from a phone. For example, depending on transfer speeds, it could be a neat way to improve web-browsing sans computer.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Duud, say again? O.o

There's some interesting technology going on around screens these days,including the newer OLED design monitors only 3mm in width!

That like the e-ink screens can be bend and still playback their content!

I don't think magnetic screens will make it through the market, since they are sensitive to outward magnetic radiation (eg of a speaker, earphones, magnet, ...). I also assume it uses more energy to display the image than e-ink; as well as if it holds liquid, that means it's more vulnerable to physical damage. The article also shows the screen refresh is very low.

I can imagine the particles inside holding a remnant magnetic field after being charged, which could be the reason for the slow screen refresh rate.
I guess people complaining from ghosting effect on e-ink haven't seen anything yet on these devices!

One of the ways to make the screen refresh faster is to make the pixels smaller,which will result in a more complex magnetic structure behind the screen... To me it seems this technology will not see the light of day,and if it does,it won't be here in the next coming 4 years or so.. after which it's probably 'old' anyways.
I really can't find any place where they could use something like that, but perhaps in certain chemical plants with highly explosive gasses they could prefer screens like this?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bridgestone, e-paper, kddi, liquid powder