Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-28-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
1 Shelf Clear, Many to Go

I have had the Sony Reader for just over a year and it has already started to pay dividends. I now have one bookcase shelf clear and I can see the back on another. Before the Sony I was plotting on how to add more bookshelves to the room.

No new books have been added in over six (6) months and the tide is going out as I am finding new homes for some of the older ones. Also the stacks on the floor are gone. I can walk around the room again. (I remember doing that back when we first moved here about 17 years ago.)

I can even find things easier than before. This is a good thing. First the CDs were converted to the music server and now the books are moving to electronic form too.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
Pretty good news
I hope my recently acquired Sony Reader will help me get ride of some of the piles of books that I can't put on my crowded bookshelves...
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Before the Sony I was plotting on how to add more bookshelves to the room.
That's great, I know exactly what you mean about trying to figure out how to add more shelf space. I really hope I can do the same thing as you. Since getting my Reader last month I've bought only 3 pbooks (a usual month before that would see me buying a lot more) & everything else has been ebooks. I really hope we start seeing more & more ebook releases, both new & catalog titles, so we get to the point where everything I want is coming out in e form.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
I love e-books and e-readers. They have some advantages over p-books. However, there will always be some real books on my shelves. No matter how improved e-readers will get, there will always be a difference in the physical reading experience between e and p. Maybe future generations will feel differently and won't want p-books.

I'm reminded of the several scenes from both Star Trek TNT and Voyager where the captain is seen reading a p-book. It is always portrayed as a quaint, somewhat eccentric habit, in an age of super technology.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:11 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I have managed to clear several metres of shelf-space in my book-crowded house, replacing the paper copies with electronic versions from this forum and elsewhere.

I've also managed to restrain my serious Amazon habit. Before I got the reader, the postman was delivering two or three books a week. Now it's about one a month (mostly needed for work).

The house is still full of books, but they are no longer taking over.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:38 AM   #6
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
This past weekend I got rid of 3 large boxes of books and restored some semblance of order to my shelves. I cant remember how long Ive had the iliad, perhaps 3 months, and I have not bought a p book in that time. I am saving space and I have improved the quality of my reading material. I am also saving around $100 per month.

Thanks again to the people that encouraged me on this forum.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:00 PM   #7
stxopher
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
I am also saving around $100 per month.
Lucky dog! I'm actually spending MORE than I did before simply because I no longer have to worry about where they will go.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:38 PM   #8
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
You guys are my heros. I'm starting to see some empty self space. I sort of have a rule: two pbooks have to go out before one new pbook comes in. So far I am WAY ahead on the pbooks going out.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:41 PM   #9
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
Lucky dog! I'm actually spending MORE than I did before simply because I no longer have to worry about where they will go.
You also haven't being paying the inflated prices for books I have been paying nor the shipping when buying on line. My wife is waiting for her reader and that will for the most part be the end of p books for us.

I am reading more though and mix in my purchases with judicious amounts of free reading.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:53 PM   #10
stxopher
Nameless Being

Ah, you are probably correct there. Much like real estate, pricing can be affected by "location, location and location".

Another nice advantage of ereading.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:20 PM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
And how do you explain it to your friends and visitors that you've no more book at your place? It makes you look kinda... being uninterested in books

Have you also had the experience when you are at a party that someone picks out a book from a shelf which suddenly draws everyone's attention making it a wonderful topic for discussion?

This is probably the biggest drawback I personally have with e-books. You cannot physically display them to others.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:33 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I suppose you could print the cover art from Amazon on card-stock and put those on your shelves.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:40 PM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I suppose you could print the cover art from Amazon on card-stock and put those on your shelves.
LOL! I remember at my job a company introduced itself to us (we sometimes do VCs) who had the idea to sell CD covers of music albums. The idea was a person could buy the cover, and buy the right to download the music associated with it through iTunes & Co (the cover would have a pin code that needs to be activated first). This way, he would still have the original cover after downloading the music; it appears, according to this company, a lot of people (collectors) want to have the original cover. Don't know if this idea ever went to market though...
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:50 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
This is probably the biggest drawback I personally have with e-books. You cannot physically display them to others.
I think I'll always have a shelf or two of pbooks, they're old friends & it's hard to get rid of some of them. My problem, & one of the things that really got me into ebooks, is I've got about 10 bookcases & still didn't have room for everything.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:34 PM   #15
stxopher
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Have you also had the experience when you are at a party that someone picks out a book from a shelf which suddenly draws everyone's attention making it a wonderful topic for discussion?
That's not always a good thing. Especially if you don't get the good ones hidden in time.

(Oh, uh, that's not mine. Someone left that here. Someone who's not me.)