Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: How good is the Kindle 3?
Super Awesome! 131 63.59%
Kinda awesome 55 26.70%
Just Good 17 8.25%
Not what I expected, bad, bad, bad! 3 1.46%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2010, 01:41 AM   #1
Williamlk
Guru
Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
So what's the verdict on K3?

As an author I'm just curious. What's the word on the street? Is it as good as I hear it's supposed to be?
Williamlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I voted "Kinda Awesome" because...

"Awesome" aspects:
Smaller size
Graphite case color
Love the new page buttons!
Wifi is super fast compared to 3G
Feels dramatically better in my hand when I read (due to size, buttons, and new back)

"Kinda" aspects:
While the page speed and contrast are certainly better, they are not a dramatic leap forward from my K2i
The new five-way button is actually harder for me to use than the old stick version

All in all - love it and really glad I upgraded.
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
I loved my Kindle 1, and although I enthusiastically pre-ordered the K2, I was disappointed in it initially. It took a while for me get used to it and to stop missing my K1. Within minutes of using K3, I don't miss my K2 at all. We're back to love at first sight. Super Awesome!
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I am still waiting to recieve my K3. I do not have a ebook reader know other than my netbook with kindle for pc which is very good. Everything that I have found says that the K3 is awesome.
I sure hope it is as awesome as I have read.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

My remaining Sony is going to the Flea Market soon! And my Kindle DX Graphite just got relegated to the sole purpose of reading and studying technical materials. The K3 is better than I imagined and the size it quite portable and easy to hold and read with one hand. I already knew the Pearl screen would be terrific since I've got its big brother the KDXG.

Way to go Amazon! I think Sony and B&N or in some really deep pooh reader-wise unless they soon come up with a challenger, and I frankly don't see either making the necessary quantum leap from their current lines of readers.
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook, K3
I agree. It's difficult not to gush about how good it is in fact.

The only real criticism I can come up with so far is the less than intuitive context sensitive menu button but a quick read of the manual sorted that out so it's just a little niggle really. I guess this is standard across Kindles too so it shouldn't be a surprise to owners of older models.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
ZenRunner
Enthusiast
ZenRunner has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-300
I'm surprised at how much I prefer the K3 over the Sony PRS-300. I plan to hang onto my Sony for the time being, but I suspect I'll never use it again.
ZenRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I think Kindle is just plain super awesome, and each model keeps getting better. I don't necessarily think this one is so much better than K2 - I notice the better resolution now that I have it, but it was fine when I didn't know. The one thing that makes it worthwhile for me is that I was too cheap to send books wirelessly from Calibre, even though I had it set up. Now I can! Don't even have to get up to get the USB cord.

Oh, and the more compact keyboard lets me use it like my blackberry. I used to usually have to type my password in twice, but now I get it the first time. Still not used to the page turn keys, and not sure about the ergonomics. But I was putting 350 books into collections, and my fingers got a little tired. Maybe just reading with be fine.

Last edited by Sydney's Mom; 08-28-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
ksimm
ksimm has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505s & Kindle 3 (WiFi)
I thought the Sony PRS-505 was great. The Kindle is in another league! It's clear, very fast, and purchasing books is as addictive (and dangerous) as iTunes.

Love it.
ksimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #10
tommyr
Just add water!
tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.tommyr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle 3
Super awesome! I LOVE MINE! What a JOY to use!
tommyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #11
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Voted "Kinda Awesome".

Would have been super awesome if button and 5-way controller ergonomics would have been better. I honestly love how much smaller and lighter it is, love the new screen and WiFi but I find Kindle 2 controls much more comfortable.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:22 PM   #12
Williamlk
Guru
Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Smile Super Awesome is pulling away with a victory!

Looks like 'Super Awesome' is pulling away with a victory. I don't own one yet, but I have to admit, I am extremely curious to know how my book looks on the K3.
If anyone has downloaded it, I would love to know how it looked.
The reason I ask is not to be a 'self-promoter'. I am more curious because my book come mostly in .mobi format at the moment.
Williamlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #13
tkbryant
tkbryant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Lovin the new K3. The screen is just a huge step up from K2 in my opinion. Throw in a smaller design & more responsive interface & you have yourselves a winner!
tkbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:18 PM   #14
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'd love to vote Super Awesome, but I don't have mine yet.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #15
pabulous
pabulous began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS300 (owned for about a month!), Kindle 3 preordered
It is indeed super awesome. Everything about is a joy to use, and reading books has become an even bigger delight. If I had to name a gripe, it would be that you can't organise your collection folders alphabetically, but that's it.
pabulous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3