Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-06-2010, 01:40 AM   #1
Lago
Connoisseur
Lago doesn't litterLago doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150, REB1200, PRS-600
window shopping

i am looking for something to spend my tax return on. namely im looking at the pocketbook360 and the sony PRS 600 and PRS 900 (though i dont like the 3g bit), but i am open to ANY suggestions, so long as it supports multiple formats, especially Mobi, Prc, PDF, LIT, ePub, and whatever else is commonly available these days (sorry, im really tired right now).

i like simple, with as few buttons as possible, and touch screen. (the 360 isnt touch i think.) anyway, my question for here is, What makes/models fit these criteria, and are affordable?

also, where could i go to sample a given device? i would really like to physically hold it and check it out.
Lago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
I've got the Pocketbook 360 and I love it. It does everything I want. You're right, it doesn't have a touchscreen. I haven't used any touchscreen readers, so I can't help you there. I was, however, looking at the Onyx Boox/Bebook Neo before I bought my Pocketbook and I had a really hard time deciding.

I went with the Pocketbook because of the hard cover, the price - it was my first ereader and I wanted to make sure I liked them before I went more expensive and the number of formats it supported. Also, at the time the Boox and the Neo were just being released to the public. I wanted something with a proven track record and the PB360 definitely has that.

I'm not sure where you are, or even if you can see the PB360 in store, but there's a sticky thread at the top of this "which one should I buy?" thread that will allow you to meet up with someone who has the device you're wanting to try out.

Good luck, it's a very hard decision to make!

Just remembered one thing, the PB360 doesn't support LIT, but they are easily converted with Calibre.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 06:13 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lago View Post
i am looking for something to spend my tax return on. namely im looking at the pocketbook360 and the sony PRS 600 and PRS 900 (though i dont like the 3g bit), but i am open to ANY suggestions, so long as it supports multiple formats, especially Mobi, Prc, PDF, LIT, ePub, and whatever else is commonly available these days (sorry, im really tired right now).

i like simple, with as few buttons as possible, and touch screen. (the 360 isnt touch i think.) anyway, my question for here is, What makes/models fit these criteria, and are affordable?

also, where could i go to sample a given device? i would really like to physically hold it and check it out.
If you want all those formats, I believe the Sony's are out. As they only read Sony's own format, PDF, EPUB, TXT and RTF.

You might want to look at the Onyx Boox as well. It's 6", has a wacom touch screen, and supports PDF, EPUB, MOBI, FB2, TXT, PDB, HTML and CHM.

The LIT format isn't really support well by any device, I think...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Sony may not support all formats, but most formats can be converted if you like the device more than others. I love my 600 and never had any problems yet. It does what I expected. If possible, take a look at the different stores if possible, to see which one fits best.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote