Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-24-2010, 06:33 AM   #1
dar72
dar72 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Newbie Questions

Hi,
I'm new to all this, got a PRS-600 recently and started scanning my books to put onto it. I've got several in Abbyy now, they've OCR'd fine, I've corrected some mistakes but I'm unsure what the best way of proceeding is.

I think I'd like them in epub format unless anyone can give good reasons why it's not a good format? I know for sure I don't want them in pdf format.

I've outputted to Open Office in various formats, exact, editable, formatted and they all seem to be ok, no page numbers or anything on the pages, Abbyy seems to have ignored those fine.

Some questions:
When I copy and paste into Sigil there are big spaces between paragraphs, this doesn't look right to me, how can I correct this?

In Abbyy is there any way of getting it to not highlight almost every instance of the word "I" since they're all correct? Quotes are highlighted too but the only genuine error i've seen so far is ",'" being read as "/", any way to stop it highlighting them all?

I'm guessing the page numbering isn't kept the same as the physical book as the readers can change text size? My thought was that I'd just have forced page breaks for each chapter, is this how it is usually done?
dar72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
KoopaOne
Austrian Bookworm
KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4
In my opinion, the best way to do it, is to send it to Microsoft Word and layout it there.
Then make either a html-->ePub version or PDF correctly sized for your ereader.

In the Options you have the possibility to turn off that he highlights words not in the dictionary, or unknown words. play around a little with these settings.

I usually make a pagebreak before each chapter, but that depends on the book. Sometimes i try to make the ebook look similar as the wooden one, if it has a nice layout.

i have made a screenshot, it's in german language, but you will know what do check/uncheck. With these settings you get the best results, when exporting to Word:

Last edited by KoopaOne; 02-25-2010 at 11:37 AM.
KoopaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
dar72
dar72 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Thanks, that helps a lot, I'm quite happy with the first few books that I've got on my reader now
dar72 is offline   Reply With Quote