Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-18-2014, 06:54 AM   #16
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
For my Aura I always download my books to my PC, load into Calibre, then use Calibre to send to the Aura. Any books I buy from kobo I download wirelessly as I use wireless sync and not the desktop software.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:57 AM   #17
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Has the horrible Kobo Desktop software improved in the last year or two? Do you still have to use this to load content to the device, or can you now just copy files via the USB link, as with most other devices? At one time it was pretty flaky, and had a habit of corrupting the Kobo's internal database.
Nope. Haven't opened it for months, and then only to see if I could replicate some other user's problem. Updates, Pocket syncs, and Kobobooks downloads are all OTA, and for the rest I use Calibre.

Having said that, I don't recall ever _having_ to use it to load books onto the device, not even back in my early Kobo Touch days. Just to initially register the device on buying and after any factory reset, and possibly (I can't remember) for software updates. I think you've always been able to just drag and drop DRM-free epubs. (Disclaimer: I never had a Kobo Wifi, and my memory's not always great.)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 07:01 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Nope. Haven't opened it for months, and then only to see if I could replicate some other user's problem. Updates, Pocket syncs, and Kobobooks downloads are all OTA, and for the rest I use Calibre.

Having said that, I don't recall ever _having_ to use it to load books onto the device, not even back in my early Kobo Touch days. Just to initially register the device on buying and after any factory reset, and possibly (I can't remember) for software updates. I think you've always been able to just drag and drop DRM-free epubs. (Disclaimer: I never had a Kobo Wifi, and my memory's not always great.)
Thanks - appreciate the info.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:02 AM   #19
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I don't know what to think. Both devices interest me. But at those prices, I will wait for reviews and comparisons.

Overall I prefer the Kobo firmware. But the 300 dpi and the size of the Voyage are very tempting. I do prefer a smaller device.

Maybe I will get neither. Or wait for a sale.
I'm in the same boat, but right now the Aura H20 is more important.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #20
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I expect the Flea Market Forum to be very busy as some members start to unload their old ebook readers.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #21
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
If you will mostly be using your own book files than it practically doesn't matter which you choose if you convert the files to formats that work well with which ever device you purchase. They are both good hardware.

Now, if you were going to invest in an ecosystem I would say the Kindle wins easily. Amazon's ecosystem is far more extensive, robust, and cost effective than Kobo's ecosystem in my experience.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #22
hermano
Connoisseur
hermano began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen 3
Loading books

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post

As we are talking of software and loading books, can I ask if any ereader, other than the kindle, has such a thing as the 'send to kindle' facility? I find this very useful when sending to my wifes kindle and am thinking of upgrading from my cybook gen3.
hermano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:59 AM   #23
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermano View Post
As we are talking of software and loading books, can I ask if any ereader, other than the kindle, has such a thing as the 'send to kindle' facility? I find this very useful when sending to my wifes kindle and am thinking of upgrading from my cybook gen3.
Nope. Just Kindle.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:32 AM   #24
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Nope. Just Kindle.
Yep. Nothing replicates all the functions of Send to Kindle. Services like Dropbox and Pocket and Calibre Content Server can do some of it, depending what you're looking for, but they don't work in exactly the same way.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:14 AM   #25
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

I have a Kobo Aura and a Kindle PW2. I love them both for different reasons, for The Aura it's the size, for the kindle it's whispersync and Send to Kindle. I buy my books DRM direct from publishers so I'm not tied into one system.

But if I could only have one ereader then it would have to be a Kindle, And that's because their software is reliable and their customer support, certainly for the first year, is exceptional. Kobo just don't have that reputation, in fact their reputation is not good.

I love my Kobo Aura for its size and weight. The Voyage being much smaller and lighter than the PW2 brings it very close to the Aura. I still would love the Aura H2O for it's waterproofing but I dare not pre order from Kobo (for reasons explained above) so I'm waiting to see if and when WHSmith or Argos ever decide to stock it. Based on the response so far I could be waiting a very long time!
Old 09-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #26
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I'm thinking of upgrading as well and am torn between these devices. Here are some pros and cons of each. I've had some hands on experience with Aura HD but have never used a Paperwhite.

Kindle Voyage:
+ 300 ppi
+ adaptive light
+ reliable firmware
+ Amazon ecosystem
- capacitive touch screen: reduced sharpness and fingerprints, my pet peeve
- 6" display, no more text on screen than my K4
- no hyphenation

Kobo Aura H2O:
+ 6,8" screen, more text on screen at the same size
+ IR touch, I can use a stylus and avoid fingerprints
+ hyphenation
+ book cover as screensaver
- buggy firmware
- wasted screen space though this can be fixed to some extent
- thick bezel casts a shadow, my reading light is on the side

I guess I'm gonna have to wait for detailed comparisons before making my choice.

Last edited by s4nder; 09-19-2014 at 12:17 PM.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There are stylus' available for capacitive touch screens to avoid fingerprints. 300 dpi should allow smaller font sizes if you need more info on the screen.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #28
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4nder View Post

Kobo Aura H2O:

No wasted space if you set the margins to the edge. The header and footer can also be removed easily.

No need for a reading light.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Has the horrible Kobo Desktop software improved in the last year or two? Do you still have to use this to load content to the device, or can you now just copy files via the USB link, as with most other devices? At one time it was pretty flaky, and had a habit of corrupting the Kobo's internal database.
I very seldom use the Kobo Desktop application other than setting up my Kobos after a factory reset but as far as I know -- going back to the original Kobo -- you were never limited to the KDA to transfer books to your device. Sideloading has been my preferred option since day 1. You can just copy files over the USB link though I prefer to use Calibre since you can and will cause issues by replacing an existing file with a different file of the same name. Kobo records information about the books in an SQLite database so the "secret" is to remove books using either the Kobo GUI or Calibre so the database records are properly maintained.

And also yes, due to non-standard way I use my Kobos, I probably see more issues than most people would. I suspect I'm part of a vanishingly small percentage of Kobo's customer base which runs alternate readers and operating systems just because we can.

Last edited by DNSB; 09-20-2014 at 11:58 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4nder View Post
I'm thinking of upgrading as well and am torn between these devices. Here are some pros and cons of each. I've had some hands on experience with Aura HD but have never used a Paperwhite.

Kindle Voyage:
+ 300 ppi
+ adaptive light
+ reliable firmware
+ Amazon ecosystem
- capacitive touch screen: reduced sharpness and fingerprints, my pet peeve
- 6" display, no more text on screen than my K4
- no hyphenation

Kobo Aura H2O:
+ 6,8" screen, more text on screen at the same size
+ IR touch, I can use a stylus and avoid fingerprints
+ hyphenation
+ book cover as screensaver
- buggy firmware

I guess I'm gonna have to wait for detailed comparisons before making my choice.
Out of curiosity why would you complain about using a reading light with a lighted device? Quick testing with an Aura HD which has a similar bezel depth suggests I have to get about 45 degrees off before the shadow of the bezel becomes annoying.

Given both devices have a 1080x1430 screen (eInk's resolution of the day?), you should be able to fit the same amount of text on either screen with the Aura H2O having the advantage that text would be slightly larger. However, with my eyes, I can't comfortably read at the smallest stock font sizes so not a matter of real interest to me.

As for the wasted space on the Kobo? That is relatively easy to fix either using Kobo's solution or the descendants of Metazoa's patcher. I've attached a couple of screenshots for each plus one with the stock smallest font size and full screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo_fullscreen.png
Views:	973
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	128614   Click image for larger version

Name:	MZ_patcher.png
Views:	1056
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	128615   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo_fullscreen_small_font.png
Views:	896
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	128616  

Last edited by DNSB; 09-20-2014 at 12:34 PM. Reason: fat fingered typos... and attached forgotten screenshots
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, kobo, voyage