Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Amazon Prime video now available on android

9Amazon Prime video is now available on android, but it is a huge pain. It's only available on phones, not tablets.

Now I must be really stupid because I can't figure out how to get this to work. I install the prime video app and it tells me to tap continue to install the Amazon app. I tap continue and it takes me to a webpage that has a link that says visit amazon.com/mobileapps from your mobile browser. I tap the link and that just brings up the exact same page I was on. It also has a place to enter my email to receive a download link. Guess where that brings me - the same exact freaking page I was just on! This same page also has a place to enter my phone number to receive a download link. I bet you can guess where that brings me - the same exact freaking page I was just on again!! I then see further down the page it has a link for 'learn more and download'. I didn't see this before because I am on my phone because Amazon won't allow you to install the prime video app on your tablet for some reason. This link brings me to Google Play store! Are you kidding me?!?

I install the Amazon app from the play store and now I want to see if I can find a video to test this out. I go to my app drawer and look for the prime video app. It's not there. I then go to the Amazon app store and find the prime video app and tap open. This brings me to the Amazon app I had to install from Google play. Huh? Real intuitive. Why can't the prime video app let me pick a video there? I know iOS has a prime video app - does it work the same there?

EDIT:
If you try to install from Google Play, you can't install the phone version of Amazon app on a tablet, but Amazon appstore lets you. I was on my phone when I first tried this - why on earth didn't the instant video app send me to the Amazon appstore to install the amazon app?!?

So if you want instant video on your tablet or phone, just install the phone version of the Amazon app from the Amazon app store, then install the instant video app from the Amazon appstore.

You can install Amazon's app store on any android device - https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...shopall_adr_dl

If you don't want to install from Amazon's app store, Android Police has download links for both apks. Some download providers try to trick you into downloading their own download app so just make sure what you choose to download is an apk not an exe.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/09...ant-video-app/

Last edited by Purple Lady; 09-11-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I know iOS has a prime video app - does it work the same there?
The iOS Amazon Instant Video app (it's for both Prime & regular Amazon instant video) is an app all on it's own that is stand alone from anything else (just like the Kindle app is).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The iOS Amazon Instant Video app (it's for both Prime & regular Amazon instant video) is an app all on it's own that is stand alone from anything else (just like the Kindle app is).
I wonder why they made such a mess of the android one. Is it available on the iPad too?
Old 09-09-2014, 09:14 PM   #4
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I had to update my amazon app to the latest version.

Now go into the amazon app and browse to a prime eligible video (i chose farscape). Now it will ask you if you want to download the prime instant video app. You have to select "install from unknown sources" in your android settings too.

Now, once installed, you have to go to the amazon app, browse to the movie you want to watch and on the product page, there will be a banner at the top to open it in the instant video app. You cannot open the video app directly and you cannot download it from the Play store.

Silly way to do it...hopefully it changes eventually.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wonder why they made such a mess of the android one. Is it available on the iPad too?
Yes, it's on iPad.

I'd guess the rigmarole has something to do with them not wanting to put it in the Play store. Why they don't just let you download the apk or have you download it from the Amazon appstore I'm not sure.
Advert
Old 09-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #6
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, it's on iPad.

I'd guess the rigmarole has something to do with them not wanting to put it in the Play store. Why they don't just let you download the apk or have you download it from the Amazon appstore I'm not sure.
Later tonight or tomorrow I am going to backup the two apps using Titanium backup and restore them on my Nexus 7 to see if it will work then. I shouldn't have to do that though.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #7
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Ok, I am really confused. What is the amazon app, is that the one with the shopping cart? Where do I get that one the play store? I did that and I can't see anywhere where I can play my prime videos. I got in the amazon app store something called prime app, I thought I did, but I can't find it anymore.

I don't understand how I am suppose to do this.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

This may help some folks?

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node...VVY4P62E8W0PNA
Old 09-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #9
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Oh, so its only phone. I don't have a phone, just a Nexus tablet. Oh well, never mind then.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:19 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Later tonight or tomorrow I am going to backup the two apps using Titanium backup and restore them on my Nexus 7 to see if it will work then. I shouldn't have to do that though.
From the comments here...
http://www.droid-life.com/2014/09/09...l-these-years/

...that appears to work.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #11
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

...that appears to work.
It works if you restore the app only. I restored the app + data and it gave me an error when I tried to continue watching a video. I uninstalled and restored the app only and it worked.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:07 PM   #12
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Oh, so its only phone. I don't have a phone, just a Nexus tablet. Oh well, never mind then.
You should be able to sideload it. First install the Amazon app from the playstore (phone version, not tablet version), then install the video app from AnemicOak's post.

Quote:

...that appears to work.

Last edited by Purple Lady; 09-09-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:43 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
For my Nexus 7, I use a shortcut to the video store in the browser. Works quite well, so I'll leave things as they are because I don't feel like hoop jumping right now.

edit -- Oh, and Amazon loses brownie points for omitting tablets and making the phone process so ridiculously convoluted. Seriously?!

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-09-2014 at 11:46 PM.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:56 PM   #14
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
For my Nexus 7, I use a shortcut to the video store in the browser. Works quite well, so I'll leave things as they are because I don't feel like hoop jumping right now.

edit -- Oh, and Amazon loses brownie points for omitting tablets and making the phone process so ridiculously convoluted. Seriously?!
It makes me wonder about Amazon lately. The Fire phone already down to 99 cents and now this crappy setup and no tablet support.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:19 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
It makes me wonder about Amazon lately. The Fire phone already down to 99 cents and now this crappy setup and no tablet support.
Amazon is still about content. I think they're finally realizing that video sales on other Android phones is better than next to nothing sales on the Fire phone. I must say that the timing of these two events is somewhat suspicious.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote