Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Conversion to Epub destroys font-size keywords:

I've noticed that in current versions of calibre, when I convert to Epub (from Epub or from Mobi), with font size scaling disabled, Calibre converts all font fixed size keywords (font size: medium, font-size: normal, font-size: small) etc into a fixed value in pt. This is very undesireable behaviour, and forces me to apply complete font-size scalling on all convreted books so I at least get sane values in em. Is there any way to prevent this?
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Open a bug report, and I will look into it, though it may not be possible to change that behavior.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I've noticed that in current versions of calibre, when I convert to Epub (from Epub or from Mobi), with font size scaling disabled, Calibre converts all font fixed size keywords (font size: medium, font-size: normal, font-size: small) etc into a fixed value in pt. This is very undesireable behaviour, and forces me to apply complete font-size scalling on all convreted books so I at least get sane values in em. Is there any way to prevent this?
We (well a number of us) keep saying on MR that doing an ePub > ePub conversion is a very bad idea. What is it you need done that the conversion is doing for you? There is the Modify ePub plugin that changes/fixes a number of things in an ePub without doing any sort of conversion. I use it all the time as it works very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Open a bug report, and I will look into it, though it may not be possible to change that behavior.
I will do so.... though I know 8.9 did not do this. (That was the version I was using before updating to 9.5 then 9.12)
Old 01-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
rashkae
Wizard

You may have noticed I never did file the promised bug report. After doing a bit more research to determine the proper behaviour of the font-size keywords (or more specifically in this case, the complete lack of any standardized deffinition) and doing a little experimentation with the Font Size Key, I find that using the Key to get a good result is by far the superior way to go.
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Indeed, mapping the "standard" font size names to actual sizes in a manner that takes into account the screen characteristics of the target device was one of the motivations of the font size key in the first place. That is why many output profiles in calibre define their own font size key.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote