Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Nook app on Kindle Fire

I went through GetJar and was able to download the Nook app onto my Kindle Fire. I previously owned a Nook and had several books I had bought from B&N and when I downloaded the Nook app on my Fire, those purchased books were there, and I can open and read them on my Fire, even tho they are Epub.

My question is, is there any way to put Epub library books into that Nook app and read them on the Fire? I tried last night by sideloading a library book into the My Documents folder in the Nook app. A picture of the book shows up in My Library but it won't open. I'm thinking it has something to do with the DRM on the library books?? Does anybody know of a solution to this, other than stripping the DRM?

Thanks!
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
pgnds
Patty
pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-3, Fire 1st & 5 gen 8"
You need to place the epub's in the nook/mydocuments folder. Hope this helps
pgnds is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I already tried that, I moved the library book to My Documents in the Nook app on my Kindle Fire but it doesn't open the book.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Before you go down that road, be sure to compare prices for the same books in Barnes and Noble versus Amazon. With the Amazon Library Loan Program, you may even be able to read those books FREE !
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
I already tried that, I moved the library book to My Documents in the Nook app on my Kindle Fire but it doesn't open the book.
You need Aldiko to read Library DRM epubs.
Just install Aldiko then download the ASCM file to your fire and it will download the epub and open it. You can also use the OverDrive media app.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-14-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Blossom..
how do i get the ascm from the library when i have downloaded the doubt from the site??
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
Blossom..
how do i get the ascm from the library when i have downloaded the doubt from the site??
Log into your Overdrive Library from the Fire's Browser then go to your bookshelf and click the download link it will download the ASCM file to the downloads folder then Open File Expert and navigate to that folder, find the file you just downloaded and open it using Aldiko.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-15-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:20 AM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
This seems like a lot more work than what I do? I use my PC to download the book to ADE, import using the Tools into Calibre, convert and sideload. (As an eBook, so it does last page read across devices.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
This seems like a lot more work than what I do? I use my PC to download the book to ADE, import using the Tools into Calibre, convert and sideload. (As an eBook, so it does last page read across devices.)
Some people don't like removing DRM off of Library books since technically they are not yours. You can do it the way you mention and then read it on Mantano or Nook app or you can keep the DRM and use the Overdrive media app or Aldiko.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:46 AM   #10
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Blossom...my overdrive folder only has the epub and 2 jpg files for the book i got from my library
no others there.
I don't like overdrive console to read books so i want to import it into Aldiko but it doesn't work

Last edited by salsaguy; 01-15-2012 at 01:50 AM.
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:54 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
Blossom...my overdrive folder only has the epub and 2 jpg files for the book i got from my library
no others there.
I don't like overdrive console to read books so i want ti import it into Aldiko
You need to redownload the book. When you first use the download link on your library website it gives you a ASCM file. Basically what this file is a link to where the epub is really is. ADE (PC) or Aldiko (Andriod) takes the ASCM file imports it into the program and downloads the actually epub file.

So you need the ASCM file to import into Aldiko. To get that you have to redownload it from the website and save the file instead of opening it. If your ASCM file is set to open automatically that could be a problem. You might have to do it the long way around and download it on the PC then Transfer the ASCM file to your Fire and open it with Aldiko.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Some people don't like removing DRM off of Library books since technically they are not yours. You can do it the way you mention and then read it on Mantano or Nook app or you can keep the DRM and use the Overdrive media app or Aldiko.
Well, as one of those for whom ePub is the only option given (since my library is outside the US), I feel perfectly justified in removing the DRM to move it onto my reading device. It _only_ goes on my Kindle, and is in all respects treated as a borrowed book.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, as one of those for whom ePub is the only option given (since my library is outside the US), I feel perfectly justified in removing the DRM to move it onto my reading device. It _only_ goes on my Kindle, and is in all respects treated as a borrowed book.
That's understandable. I have done it before Kindle lending was available and deleted it when done and now I have my Fire I use epub instead of Kindle more and more so there no need for that but the original poster was asking how to read a Library epub on her Fire. It's easily done with Aldiko or Overdrive Media. Now I wish Mantano would add that feature. I can read ADE books on it just fine but not Library books yet.