Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-23-2007, 11:35 PM   #1
Kiari
Kiari began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook 3
File Converting and other ponderings

Hello!

I am from Canada... but more specifically, I am from Windsor, Ontario. I share airwaves with Detroit, Michigan... and my american family (specifically, my blind grandfather who is overjoyed with my book obsession) would like to get me a Kindle.

I will have to call and double check, but my initial inquiry to Amazon about credit cards said that my canadian card would work fine, as long as I used my american family's address as the billing/shipping address.

My biggest concern with the Kindle is pdf conversion. I've read that it does not support them natively, but that they can be converted to non-drmed Mobi files. Does anyone know if this indeed works?

A vast majority of the books that I read (English major here) are found in drm free mobis. I'm an avid book reader, and believe in supporting authors... but I've heard that purchased drm-mobis can be stripped of the drm with certain software, which would then be kindle-able. Any confirmation of this rumor would be appreciated :P I'm reading up on DRM to see what Canadian laws allow.

Is there anything else, oh knowledgable ones, that I should be considering?

I've never owned an ebook reader... but the ability to take notes in the margins, highlight passages, and search my books is tilting me strongly towards the kindle, however pissed I may be that they won't just ship the damn thing across the river.
Kiari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:32 AM   #2
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
Sounds like you might be better off with a Sony PRS-505. If PDF is a big deal, you probably want something with a larger screen anyways too (other than Sony or Kindle). The Kindle requires a special USA-only cellular network that does not exist in Canada.
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2007, 06:40 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
the iRex iLiad, with its 8" screen, is currently the only eInk reader which handle A4/Letter PDFs at all well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:33 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
If the PDF is a scanned image of a manuscript or book, then the best Eink screen for you is the Iliad. But if it's a journal article that was published in PDF, then the Kindle might work for you. They are indeed beta testing a PDF conversion service.

I don't know for sure that MOBI files will work on the Kindle; all the ones I have to test were PRC. MOBI probably will work. And yes, there is a DRM stripping tool for Mobipocket. I don't have it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:04 AM   #5
Kiari

PDF isn't a dealbreaker for me... it's just my only real concern with purchasing a Kindle, since I've heard (again, rumors and stuff online... no one I know has an ebook reader) that there are some books only available in pdf form. At least I now know that all the readers in my price range don't like pdfs that much :P

The 800$ price tag on the Irex is a deal breaker for me though, there's no way I can afford that... though it is quite beautiful.

The sprint network extends to my apartment (mwahahah! For once, something good comes out of being spitting distance from down town Detroit!) and I know I can use the computer/USB link it comes with to put content on it if it comes to that.

I will purchase it with the assumption that I will not be able to use the wireless though. Cybook and the Sony (the only two in my price range) also don't have wireless.

Thanks guys! If anyone has anything else, I'd love to hear it!
Advert
Old 11-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #6
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
[QUOTE=rflashman;119491]The Kindle requires a special USA-only cellular networkQUOTE]

Are you sure the cellular network is required? Im pretty sure I read that you can purchase kindle books via your email and transfer them with the usb cable.

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
TomK
Enthusiast
TomK began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800SG
Kiari, the following paragraph comes from a Q&A page from the Amazon Kindle Development Team. While I'm also disappointed that you can't just open PDF's straight from the Kindle, it sounds like they know this is important and support should improve.

Q: When can we read PDFs, please?
A: PDF document conversion is experimental. The experimental category represents the features we are working on to enhance the Kindle experience even further. Due to PDF's fixed layout format, some complex PDF files might not format correctly on your Kindle. Each Kindle has a unique e-mail address, allowing you and your contacts to send PDF attachments for conversion into a Kindle compatible format. For more information on personal document conversion, visit our help pages: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200140600

That paragraph was near the top of this page:
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-answers...fiona-hardware

I'd be curious if anyone has downloaded an .azw file to their PC (instead of directly to their Kindle), changed the extension to .mobi and was able to open it using Mobipocket. Or found another way to open an .azw on their PC.
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
Kiari

D'oh...

Amazon's phone help informs me that my bank for my credit card must have a US address... they told me of a couple ways to work around it, which was nice of them, but they all sound like too much effort.

Cybook here I come....
Old 11-24-2007, 12:51 PM   #9
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
[QUOTE=dugbug;119573]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rflashman View Post
The Kindle requires a special USA-only cellular networkQUOTE]
Are you sure the cellular network is required? Im pretty sure I read that you can purchase kindle books via your email and transfer them with the usb cable.

-d
Nope, you can transfer unlocked files via USB, but Amazon will only deliver DRM purchased files wirelessly.
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:53 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=rflashman;119580]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

Nope, you can transfer unlocked files via USB, but Amazon will only deliver DRM purchased files wirelessly.
No, you can download them as well.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:07 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflashman View Post

This is incorrect. What do you suppose that people in the US outside the area of Sprint network coverage would do if this were the case?

You can buy a Kindle book, download it from the Media Library, and upload it to your Kindle via USB.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:37 AM   #12
janiebegood
Enthusiast
janiebegood began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3GS, K1 (RIP), K2, K3, and now Kindle Fire!
Converting Word docs?

Hello! First post!

I've never been an early adopter, but I'm willing to take the leap of faith on the Kindle. Has anyone tried e-mailing Word files for conversion, either the .10 cent version that comes wirelessly or the free version that's e-mailed to an address for USB transfer? That's what I'd like to use my Kindle for most -- transferring Word documents to read on the fly.

I'd also like to know if there's a way -- a simple way -- to do the formatting myself to create Kindle-friendly documents that I can transfer directly from the computer without going through Amazon's service.

I ordered mine last night -- it says they're back-ordered until Dec. 17th now. Grr.
janiebegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:58 AM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Ye. It works.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:42 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiebegood View Post
I'd also like to know if there's a way -- a simple way -- to do the formatting myself to create Kindle-friendly documents that I can transfer directly from the computer without going through Amazon's service.
Sure - just use any of the Mobipocket tools, like the free Mobi Desktop Reader.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:59 AM   #15
janiebegood
Enthusiast
janiebegood began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3GS, K1 (RIP), K2, K3, and now Kindle Fire!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sure - just use any of the Mobipocket tools, like the free Mobi Desktop Reader.
HarryT, I'm a rank beginner with all this stuff. Can you tell me more about the Mobi Desktop Reader? Is it a downloadable program? Where can I find it? Is it easy to use? And that's what I could use to convert Word files into a Kindle-friendly format? Could I badger you with any more questions?
janiebegood is offline   Reply With Quote