Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 03:21 AM   #181
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
As theDucks says, this plugin does not crash calibre, nor does it gobble memory. It was last updated about a year ago and in that time not one of the tens of thousands of users has had an issue with it, until the two posts of yours and the one above it.

I suspect you have fallen victim to the "random" general crashiness that a minority of users have reported with recent calibre versions. Again not a problem I personally have experienced in the slightest on either my Win 7 64-bit or XP machines. Kovid hasn't been able to track down why it started happening, but there are threads in the main forums about it. Certainly I believe it must be "some other" software component on your machine which is causing the issue, because the 99.9% majority of users don't have a problem. And if it isn't something I can replicate, it certainly isn't something I can do anything about.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #182
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I note that Demonoid is still offered, but it doi'd a few weeks ago

http://www.anonym.to/?https://torren...rnment-120806/
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2013, 01:40 AM   #183
dirgeon
dirgeon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
@kiwidude Hi!

I'm trying to get this plugin to add a new book to goodreads:

Code:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/new?book%5Btitle%5D={title}{series:|+%28|+}{series_index:||%29}&book%5Bsort_by_title%5D={title_sort:lowercase()}{series:lowercase()|+%28|+}{series_index:||%29}&author%5Bname%5D={author}&book%5Basin%5D={identifiers:select('amazon')}
Unfortunately, the series index gets an additional '0' at the end, and the amazon identifier doesn't show up:

Code:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/new?book%5Btitle%5D=Dragonflight+%28Pern+10%29&book%5Bsort_by_title%5D=dragonflight+%28pern+10%29&author%5Bname%5D=Anne+McCaffrey&book%5Basin%5D=
That should just be "Pern 1" not "Pern 10".

Also, if a field/variable is not available, e.g. the book has no series, the following becomes part of the URL, instead of being silently removed/replaced with nothing:

Code:
No such variable series
Otherwise, it works well...

Can you please check this out? Am running version 1.7.1 on calibre 0.9.19.

Thanks!

Last edited by dirgeon; 02-22-2013 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Add info re unavailable fields
dirgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #184
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@dirgeon - apologies for the delayed response. I wasn't aware goodreads even offered a url option for adding books. Is there any website documentation you can point me to about this?

As for your particular issue, clearly you have way more knowledge about the requirements of their url than I do. The one thing I can suggest is that you add some code to the plugin to print the URL out and use that to check against the requirements of the API. It could be a problem with the template language functions that you are trying to use, chaley is the guru on those. However by printing the actual URL being passed as a result of applying the template you should be able to see what the output is.

To save you the trouble I am attaching a zip file with a version of this plugin that prints out the url to the debug log. So run calibre in debug mode (from the Preferences dropdown menu), use the plugin to search using your url and then check the log file to see what text was actually generated by the plugin, just in case that differs with what ends up being displayed in your browser due to a redirection by Goodreads.

And if you want to test the output url without actually hitting the goodreads website each time, edit the action.py file inside the zip, and change line 145 sticking a # in front so it says #openurl(...) instead of openurl(...)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Search The Internet.zip (186.7 KB, 313 views)
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #185
RsH
Enthusiast
RsH began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab A and PC + RCA RCT6213W87M Tablet + FiGo telephone
How do I tell Search the Internet to use Opera instead of IE?

I just switched to Windows 8 and I have Opera set as my desired browser but in Calibre when I click on Search the Internet it always uses IE and because of its security requires me to permit it to use ActiveX when I search FictionDB. I want to have the plugin use Opera instead of IE and that is NOT configurable via the changes permitted easily. I can select different sites to examine for the books, but not select the browser to be used.

HELP.... what do I change and where do I change it?
RsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #186
RsH
Enthusiast

It turns out that FictionDB uses Internet Explorer but Goodreads uses Opera. So how do I change the way that FictionDB uses IE to have it use Opera?
Old 03-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #187
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Many sites require IE for proper function. (The many part of the US Government, My Cell company...)

But your case may be the URL calls a different (but Valid) file extension that Opera as NOT set as the default. (Can you open the site directly with Opera? copy the address from IE address bar and paste into Opera. )

If it works, adjust the Open With property for that file extension.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #188
RsH
Enthusiast

The issue, for me, was Internet Explorer was restricting the webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls and the solution to that turned out to be a security setting re ActiveX in the Internet Explorer controls that needed to be turned on. Now IE works fine with this website so it no longer matters that one web site uses Opera and another uses IE version 10, or whatever is coming with Windows 8 these days.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #189
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
FictionDB seems for run fine using Firefox. So unless I'm mistaken, there's no need to force FictionDB to use IE.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #190
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Many sites require IE for proper function. (The many part of the US Government,
Really - I use US Federal .gov sites a lot, haven't run into IE Only restrictions for nigh on a decade, but maybe you mean state or local government - I don't get around those so much

Quote:
My Cell company...)
How quaint - so you have to have a Windows Phone cell phone to contact you cell carrier company - that doesn't sound like a sensible strategy to me - who are they, HP - Oops there goes another good company

@RsH - Calibre Search the Internet uses whatever the default browser is set to - I just tested Calibre 0.9.64 on W8 with default browser set to Firefox, then IE, then Chrome, then Safari then back to Firefox.

I tested Goodreads, WikiP, Google, Fantastic, Amazon & B&N - they all came up in the current default browser.

I don't have or want Opera installed, it has <2% of the market and its declining. The only sites that might restrict access to Opera only, are Russian Hacker and Spammer sites - they love it.

Its your W8 default programs setup, take it up with who ever installed W8 on your computer or ask over at the Windows 8 forums I don't know W8 well enough to offer specific advise but the folks there do.

BR
Old 03-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #191
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
BR
The many includes:
The VA (it may be limited to Employee and Contractors sections. I even had to downgrade to Java 6 (from 7) to take required training courses.)

The FTC required M$ plugins just to view proceedings of an action I wanted to follow.

My Cell phone can't use the (user account) WEB site that I run from my PC It would not behave until I used IE (no error messages, just did not work)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #192
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
BR
The many includes:
The VA (it may be limited to Employee and Contractors sections. I even had to downgrade to Java 6 (from 7) to take required training courses.)

The FTC required M$ plugins just to view proceedings of an action I wanted to follow.

My Cell phone can't use the (user account) WEB site that I run from my PC It would not behave until I used IE (no error messages, just did not work)
Not a US vet so not been to VA. I guessed it might be something like that, I had SocSec or MediCare/Aid in mind, again not my cup of tea.

Hmmmm, I've followed FTC cases in Firefox; I have the Firefox Office plugin installed - maybe that's why I never ran into it. Next time I'm there I'll try to remember to disable it and let you know if it makes a difference.

US cell phone 'regime' has always been... flaky. In the 90's I had to carry two phones and three chips when I was in the US. I was 'commuting' between Hawaii, SF & Raleigh NC. My 'commute' also included Hyderabad, Singapore and Sydney where I could use the one chip in the one phone. It all went awry when they killed Ma' Bell - I blame the Beatles

BR
Old 03-29-2013, 12:47 AM   #193
captpete
captpete began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (2017)
The current urls for isfdb are not working. I can't figure out from the error codes exactly what they need but the current one looks entirely different from the expected phyton search query.
captpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:54 AM   #194
captpete

Also FictFact doesn't even work from their website search much less from the plugin.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:59 AM   #195
captpete

Mobipocket seems to be not working even from the website. Maybe someone could confirm and kiwidude could remove them from the plugin?

Tags
book details, search the internet