Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #16
Snassek
Connoisseur
Snassek is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
No mystery as far as I'm concerned. Amazon builds and sells many times the number of 6" Kindles as Sony does 650s. Amazon is the big buyer on the Pearl screen block. The manufacturer is going to bend over backwards to please a customer who buys a few million screens and treat a customer like Sony who only buys a few 10,000 screens like a lot less cordially. That is business and that is why Amazon is going to get first choice of 6" screens. The 350 has a 5" screen and the 950 has a 7" screen so Sony is not having to compete for similar sized screens with Amazon for those models. If B&N used Pearl screens in their eInk Nooks, the wait for 650s would probably be even worse.
Good point, but very frustrating.
Snassek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:40 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snassek View Post
I am now ready to buy a PRS-650 and can't find any for sale other than being overly priced on eBay. I thought I read somewhere that it is looking like March before Sony Style has them in stock.

Seems that Sony is missing out on lots of sales since I know I can't be the only person looking to buy. I wonder how many other people will decide to buy another brand?

While frustrating, I still have my PRS-500 that is still working.
Try your local Borders. Some may still have the 650 in stock. On Borders website it shows they have the red 650 available to by online.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 10:22 PM   #18
Snassek
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try your local Borders. Some may still have the 650 in stock. On Borders website it shows they have the red 650 available to by online.
I checked a couple of days ago at my local borders and they were out of stock. I just looked online and it is stating that it is on backorder.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:12 AM   #19
Aussie54
Aussie54 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Reading this makes me feel a little bit less alone. I wanted to buy a PRS 650 for Christmas, but couldn't find one anywhere. Rang Sony in Sydney and Melbourne, and even in Wellington, NZ, where my son lives. No luck. Orders are backdated until January/February.

I couldn't work out why, but the explanation about the screens makes sense. Not happy about it, but what can't be changed has to be accepted, I guess.
Aussie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:25 AM   #20
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I am feeling a lot better about having paid full price (though no tax nor shipping) back when they first came out.
You've summed up how I feel pretty well. When I was considering the Sony Reader 350, I had apprehensions about paying full price and being such an early adopter (picked it up as soon as it was out in September), but once I've started using it, absolutely no regrets so far. I think it's even beaten my much beloved original Gameboy as Favourite Gadget Of All Time (So Far).

Er, not that I mean to rub it in anybody's faces here. I just think most people can't go wrong, when they finally do find one, with picking up one of these Readers. Good luck to all that are looking.

(As an aside, I do know for certain that some David Jones and Myer stores in Sydney had a few 350s in stock as of a few days ago -- at least the ones in Parramatta did. The 650 continues to be elusive though.)
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 07:04 AM   #21
Ivy
Sometimes I purr.
Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I found a store in Texas that shows online it has them in stock. I asked someone to go pick it up today after work, fingers crossed please!

---

My ... potential mother-in-law (lol) got me the last one within 100 miles of her house. It was red, too! I am SO happy!!!

Happy New Year, guys.

I.

Last edited by Ivy; 12-31-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:31 PM   #22
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I noticed that the Dell website has some. A few Canadian sites had them as well although I don't think a lot of them. Most of the retail stores are sold out.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:36 AM   #23
Snassek
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrmama View Post
I noticed that the Dell website has some.
I checked Dell's site and the 650 is out of stock.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:10 AM   #24
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Maybe I see them since I start at the canadian site? They show a us phone number though. They are out of black ones though but do have silver and red.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #25
Snassek
Connoisseur

SonyStyle.com now has the black PRS-650 in stock. Ordered!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #26
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
I just saw that today and ordered one for my wife. They only seem to be in-stock online. They SonyStyle store in Dallas said they still don't have any stock.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:25 PM   #27
Snassek
Connoisseur

Now I just have to find a case. They are out of stock everywhere too.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:22 AM   #28
Wordeater
Connoisseur
Wordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Sony PRS-650
Same here.

Quote:
Yup,same here. Black 650 today, same place.

WE
Wordeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:55 AM   #29
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Is it possible that they will launch a new Wifi version with their Reader app and store sync?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #30
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
A Wifi version of the 650? Doubtful.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote