Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Page breaks before new chapters?
Yes, I prefer page breaks 118 78.15%
No, I prefer no page breaks 13 8.61%
I really don't care either way 18 11.92%
Chapters? Kill 'em all 2 1.32%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Page Breaks, but not completely blank pages

I have been slowly reformatting my collection to add Page breaks and and some small decorations.

More like a Paperback but no blank pages.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #17
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
I started a thread on this on KindleBoards, and thought it'd be interesting to get opinions from a wider audience

I've heard a number of people comment on the fact that Smashwords ebooks, for example, don't include a page break before a new chapter. Fair enough, I thought, makes sense for people to want each chapter to start on a new page. Then I got my PRS-300, and started reading ebooks with page breaks done correctly, and discovered - much to my surprise - that I HATE them. Passionately. Especially (although this might be caused by dodgy formatting) when I get two lines of text, click to next page, get a BLANK page, click again and get a chapter name and FIVE! lines of text. GAH! It's like eating a sandwich in teensy tiny bits!

So, you've got my opinion now, but I'm interested in hearing yours - what do you prefer? Page break before each chapter, no page breaks, or you really don't care?
Looks as if you are getting even more pro-breaks feedback here than the kindleboards. Nice to see folks just like 'em.

A blank page between chapters is just lazy formatting, if it is unintentional. It likely indicates two consecutive page breaks or too many blank lines at the end of a chapter followed by an extra page break and then a page break at the beginning of the new chapter first page. Just poorly done and lazy formatting.

As for the issue of a "page" with a chapter title and a few lines of text that sounds like bad page layouts for the first page of each chapter. I would think each chapter would have proper paragraph styles appropriate for that page alone. Perhaps the incorrect paragraph style is being used for the chapter title in the books you have read with such a problem? The ebook world is lousy with poorly formatted books and that is at the feet of the publisher/editor or whoever is responsible for the formatting part of the equation.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #18
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Some of the bad formatting may come from a well-intentioned effort to somehow mimic the original book layout (presuming it was scanned from a pBook.)

I'm sure that I've seen books that have a proper end of chapter break that leaves blank space beneath the final words of the chapter, to the bottom of the page -- but it is followed by a blank page and the beginning of a new chapter halfway down the following page. I'm particularly thinking of books that end their chapters on a right-hand-side page, have a blank left-hand-side page and begin all chapters on a right-hand-side page.

Or am I misremembering such a thing?

If I'm not misremembering, then it's just bad, imitative design.

cap
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:10 PM   #19
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't care about page breaks, but I don't like ebooks without a TOC that includes the chapters. If an ebook is formatted so that the only indication of a chapter is a page break and (perhaps) a centered chapter header (i.e. no HTML header markers), then it typically also has no TOC and so far I have not worked out how to get Calibre to auto-detect the chapters.

I also agree with the other responders who noted that since one file per chapter is "standard" for ePub we are stuck with breaks before chapters anyway.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:26 PM   #20
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
When I read on a small screen I prefer no page breaks but on a 5" or larger screen I definitely want page breaks at the end of the chapter.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:46 AM   #21
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
As long as the breaks are done properly than I do prefer to have them, mainly with chapter breaks. On an ereader I don't want to see a blank page, but I do want to have a clear indication when my chapter ends.

Having proper spacing and breaks just feels like an ebook has more polish, making me think more of an actual book.
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:53 AM   #22
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
Some of the bad formatting may come from a well-intentioned effort to somehow mimic the original book layout (presuming it was scanned from a pBook.)

I'm sure that I've seen books that have a proper end of chapter break that leaves blank space beneath the final words of the chapter, to the bottom of the page -- but it is followed by a blank page and the beginning of a new chapter halfway down the following page. I'm particularly thinking of books that end their chapters on a right-hand-side page, have a blank left-hand-side page and begin all chapters on a right-hand-side page.

Or am I misremembering such a thing?

If I'm not misremembering, then it's just bad, imitative design.

cap
I always will reformat my books (as I like to use my own PDF formatted books on my BBM), and my chapter title is always 1/4th the page and the chapter itself starts about halfway. So, this is all very person... Again, blank pages are an absolute no-no...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:53 AM   #23
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
I much prefer page breaks at the end of the chapter. As has been mentioned it is a convenient stopping place, helps the mind identify the flow of the story and is just all round goodness.

I also agree with simplyparticular that a big peeve is no scene breaks. That really annoys me.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:42 AM   #24
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
When Im reading a ebook, I don't really care either way to be honest. However when I write I do start each chapter on a new page. I think thats my OCD coming across, as to me its a new start and its not right that its not at the top of a page.

THis has caused me a lot of grief at work, where I do end up writing a reviewing a lot of reports, and I start each new major section at the top of a page (Against the companies policy). Apparently its a waste of paper, however I have to repeatedly point out that nearly all my reports contain embedded spreadsheets, which means they are nearly always distributed "Electronically" and read as such, so the paper argument holds no water for me.

To me it just looks tidier when your writing it in word.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #25
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I prefer page breaks, and always use them in my work... but I'm often frustrated by books that improperly use breaks, and often have breaks where there should be none. This is almost always due to a bad formatting or conversion effort, like typos, throwing off the rhythm of the story.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #26
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I prefer page breaks, and always use them in my work... but I'm often frustrated by books that improperly use breaks, and often have breaks where there should be none. This is almost always due to a bad formatting or conversion effort, like typos, throwing off the rhythm of the story.
Steve, is there a reason why your Onuissance Cells book is double spaced ? Was it a deliberate style you used ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #27
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Steve, is there a reason why your Onuissance Cells book is double spaced ? Was it a deliberate style you used ...
Old file, which I keep meaning to redo to remove that double-spacing (unless I did, and you have an old file... I honestly can't remember!)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #28
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
Definitely want chapter breaks. Apart from the convenience of being able to pause reading at a 'nice' pause in the text, they give a chance to reflect on what I've read, and help mark the development of the story or subject matter. Having said which, I must add that I utterly *LOATHE* authors who cannot/will not write chapters longer than 2 pages.

Guess I'm just hard to please.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #29
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

Taking out chapter breaks would be like typing // at the end of each paragraph to save space.

Typography, bitches, it's part of English. Don't like it? Go read the run-on hieroglyphics on Egyptian tombs then.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:38 AM   #30
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Page breaks! Definitely! Without blank pages, please. No 3-row-pages either, thank you. (Takes his book, pays the laddy at the door and leaves).
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chapter, ebook, page break, typography