Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-25-2009, 10:04 AM   #31
GizmoPlanet
GizmoPlanet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If Sony was trying to lock you in, they'd have stuck to BBeB (LRF/LRX) and not gone wth ePub. Also changing their eBookstore to ePub is also going to be a plus for Sony not locking you in. It's Amazon that is locking you in and not Sony.
For a change, Sony is getting away from its tendency to make proprietary products that require consumer lock-in to succeed. Remember Memory Stick, and the infamous rootkit fiasco a few years back?

In a world that's becoming increasingly open-source, proprietary anything doesn't work very well and turns consumers off.
GizmoPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #32
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
The Kindle 1 has a user-replaceable battery. I have an extra one that cost me $20 but I have never had to use it. It also has a card which I greatly miss on my Kindle2. The reason I have a Kindle is because I have a lot of ebooks in Mobi. I would love it to also do pdf because I have a lot of books on my computer in that format. As for paid books, I use Fictionwise much more than Amazon but I can load those sales on my Kindle but this is a great plus for the Nook. My K2 is only a year old so I won't be looking for another reader till next summer/fall so it will be fun to see what shows up in the next 8 months or so.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:48 AM   #33
DiggerG
DiggerG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (world)
Yaay to Nevermind. I have an iPhone (which I love) that, with careful use, can barely get two days of battery life. Sure it does more than an ereader, but charging is charging...and it does it while I sleep.
DiggerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #34
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigercounter View Post
According to your website- your funded by Amazon. So looks like I will be a little more prejudice in what you say.
gigercounter: the ten posts that you have made so far have been uniformly hostile to the Amazon Kindle and charitable towards the Nook.
This seems strange coming from a person without a reading device.
We have had several members wondering whether you are a troll.
I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, but please read our posting guidelines here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/faq...ing_guidelines
(also available on the blue bar at the bottom of this page: click on "Guidelines.")
It would be helpful if you were to explain your antipathy for the Amazon Kindle and your prediliction for the Nook, and to cite evidence for your views.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #35
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
gigercounter: the ten posts that you have made so far have been uniformly hostile to the Amazon Kindle and charitable towards the Nook.
This seems strange coming from a person without a reading device.
We have had several members wondering whether you are a troll.
I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, but please read our posting guidelines here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/faq...ing_guidelines
(also available on the blue bar at the bottom of this page: click on "Guidelines.")
It would be helpful if you were to explain your antipathy for the Amazon Kindle and your prediliction for the Nook, and to cite evidence for your views.
HUZZAH!!!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:48 AM   #36
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
HUZZAH!!!
I'm glad to see I wasn't the only thinking this!
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #37
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
I'm glad to see I wasn't the only thinking this!
indeed! folks need to speak up occasionally!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:41 PM   #38
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
As a newbie anticipating getting a Nook in December I can only offer these comments:
  • Expandable memory - I have thousands of MP3s on a MP3 player that uses a 16GB micro SD card, I would LOVE to only carry ONE gadget and be able to read and listen at the same time. Kindle with its limited memory and no expansion slot can't do this.
  • Android - This opens the door to all kinds of hacks. I'm sure there will be enhancements - a web browser? Games?
  • Price is just about the same
  • I love reading new books as well as the classics. I have hundreds of Gutenberg texts I've been itching to read but won't because it's too inconvenient to read on a laptop.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #39
Stensie4JC
Book Diva
Stensie4JC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I appreciate the comment about travel to Africa, but most people who would be in the market for an ereader would not face this situation very often. I am too lazy to go back and find the quote, but I agree with Nevermind's previous comment about battery life. I hear similar things about batter life on cell phones. I just need my battery to last until bedtime, and I can plug in over night. A 2-3 day battery life is handy in a pinch, but even when I am traveling I usually charge my devices nightly.

I have never understood why people would want a browser on their reading device. Are we talking about a browser that would go to any ebook store, or are we talking about a full browser? Do people want to use their reader to check email or get on facebook? I would never want to do that on an eink screen. If that's what people want from a browser then an ebook device is not a good fit for their needs. Is that what's on the table, or have I misunderstood?
Stensie4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #40
Klaatu
Klaatu doesn't litterKlaatu doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stensie4JC View Post
I appreciate the comment about travel to Africa, but most people who would be in the market for an ereader would not face this situation very often. I am too lazy to go back and find the quote, but I agree with Nevermind's previous comment about battery life. I hear similar things about batter life on cell phones. I just need my battery to last until bedtime, and I can plug in over night. A 2-3 day battery life is handy in a pinch, but even when I am traveling I usually charge my devices nightly.
The kind of travel like my recent vacation to East Africa is not something I do frequently, either. But I do also travel for work and need the battery on my eReader to last more than just a few hours. I need it to last a few days. The one big complaint I have with my iPhone is that I really do have to charge it every day. It's just how I use the device. But I don't want to have to charge an eReader more than about every 10-15 days, depending on my usage of the device. Having said all that if I really can get about 10 days between charges for Nook during my normal usage then I can live with that.

Quote:
I have never understood why people would want a browser on their reading device. Are we talking about a browser that would go to any ebook store, or are we talking about a full browser? Do people want to use their reader to check email or get on facebook? I would never want to do that on an eink screen. If that's what people want from a browser then an ebook device is not a good fit for their needs. Is that what's on the table, or have I misunderstood?
I agree. It seems to me that having a browser on an eReader is just not all that useful. I have a laptop and an iPhone for my web browsing. My eReader is for reading. I even think having an MP3 player built-in to an eReader is a waste of electronics, but that's just my opinion.

Regards,
Michael
Klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:53 AM   #41
scveteran
Groupie
scveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
I recently returned from a 3 week vacation in East Africa where my access to power outlets was limited to non-existent for days at a time. The amount of time the battery in my Sony PRS505 lasted was very important to me. Admittedly I wasn't reading for hours at a time for days on end, but the fact that I can got at least 2 weeks between charges with regular reading was good to know while I was on this trip. It meant I didn't have to worry about the battery dying and not being able to charge it.

So if the Nook battery is only rated for 10 days between charges, that can be a concern to those of us that might travel for extended periods. But I haven't seen anything that says what B&N is basing this estimate on, so the battery could very well last longer.

Regards,
Michael

While you may have had a problem finding an outlet, that is not going to be the case for most people. In my case, I almost never leave the house except for medical appointments. Yet I would not expect that the ereader should not have a decent battery just because I don't really need one.

The truth is that almost no one who purchases this ebook reader is going to be without access to the means to charge it far more often than is needed. Think about it, you probably had access to a vehicle with the cigarette charger at least once during that time. You also likely had some time to charge it while at some locations that catered to the other tourist.

Lastly, while you may have had a great time in Africa for those three weeks, it is an exception for most people to have the time to go on a vacation that long: at least in the US. It would be even more of an exception not to have electrical power during most peoples vacations for 10 days or more.

To sum up my feeling here, while you might have needed something specialized, almost no one else in the target audience has the same need.
scveteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:58 AM   #42
scveteran
Groupie
scveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Amazon hasn't paid referral fees on Kindle book sales for quite some time, plus his list of complaints seems to be pretty accurate to me. The price difference between Amazon and B&N is my biggest complaint -- this is especially so when you consider that B&N charges sales tax while Amazon doesn't.

If your state and/or other local charges sales tax, you are still supposed to pay that sales tax regardless of whether Amazon charged you for it or not. You are supposed to pay it directly to the local tax authority. So for me, that is auctually a negative for Amazon since I have to do more paperwork.
scveteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:08 AM   #43
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
A solar charger (such as the solar gorilla) or a Power Monkey should take care of longer trips where there's no access to electricity.

Here's one supplier:
https://powertraveller.com/
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:31 AM   #44
macr0t0r
Connoisseur
macr0t0r doesn't littermacr0t0r doesn't litter

Device: Palm Treo 680, Sony Reader
Well, no eReader is perfect, but this one seems pretty good to me. However, it's no slam-dunk either, so it's probably going to boil down to how you use it.

#2 (Lending Limit) is of interest to me because they support "side-loading." The eReader DRM from fictionwise, ereader.com, and Barnes&Noble only require that you plug in your name and credit-card number to unlock the book after you copy it to your Nook from your PC. Because it's a hash, you can't extract the credit card number. In theory, I could buy a book and "side-load" it from my computer onto multiple Nooks, iPhones (using Stanza), Palms, and so on. The "Lending" feature seems mostly to give your friend a sample to see if they like it (unless they are really a speedy reader). If they do, it seems the side-loading feature would allow you to fully install the book to their device. Granted, your name is clearly in the file, so I've only shared books with my immediate family. Will have to see on this when the Nook arrives.

#6: No folder support. This doesn't surprise me at all, and I don't expect to see it in the future. Everyone is moving to tags and search. However, a B&N rep did admit that custom tags are not supported yet, so you are limited to searching by artist and title. Ouch! They need to at least match Sony's "series" tagging.

#8: Well, you posted this fear of not being able to read your collection of fictionwise, ereader, etc material on your Nook only one day after they announced otherwise, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. In any case, you can safely pull this off the list, for they do support sideloading of eReader PDB files from multiple sources:
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...les/m-p/401939

I could refute a few more of your points, but I'd be repeating what others have already said. The nook isn't perfect, but it does have many improvements over the current Sony and Amazon offerings. They don't have "zero" experience because they have the Fictionwise team, which has been serving multiple e-book devices for quite awhile. It supports multiple formats, and it uses an open-source OS. In my opinion, it's the best of breed at the moment. We'll see if that opinion still holds true after units arrive and the reviews start coming in.

- Jim
macr0t0r is offline   Reply With Quote