Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
New Pocket Pro Firmware Coming?

New firmware was released by Jiinke today.

Quote:
v5setup V2.02EN 090924 2009-09-25 Download
Description:

1.Upgrade PDF and EPUB parser.
2.Support zoom in 100%, 200%, 250%, 300%, 350% for PDF and EPUB files.
2.Support link, bookmark and search function.

How to read hyperlink: Press number key 0, if the current page has hyperlink, the underline will be displayed, then press number key "0" and "9" to select the link on the current page, and press "Menu" or "Ok" button to skip to the linked page. If the current page do not has hyperlink, the number key "0" and "9" will be used for turning pages.
The second and third list items appear to been added by Astak already. First in fact. But what about the 1st. Is that something new to make an appearance soon?
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Hmm, would be interesting to see if Astak will post an update soon (havent updated the fw of my PP since i got it).

What i really miss is the 150% font increase, because sometimes going from 100% to 200% makes a really big jump on size, i would love something between that.
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
What I would love to see is a way to specify the amount of increase that I want.
I still find the set levels to be less that desirable at time.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Lets say I have an internal ToC with say 15 hyperlinks? How would this convoluted method work to specify anymore than the first 10? And what about history? So I jump to an endnote, how do I go back to the page I was on?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Parser Version numbers.

These were the versions that were on my Pocket Pro, the first number was as it was shipped, the 2nd number was the 2009 Sept 10 firmware download. The indicated ones were the only different version numbers.

Hope this helps.

As of Version: (1) shipped, (2) 20090910,
"All rights reserved by TianJin Jinke Electronics System Co. LTD.
Contains Reader® Mobile technology by Adobe Systems Incorporated.
Linux kernel version: 2.6.21.7::2.6.21.7
Firmware version: V2.01ASTAK.090825::V2.02ASTAK.090907
PDF parser version V2.00.090730::V2.00.090907
DOC parser version: V2.00.080624::V2.00.080624
HTML parser version: V2.00.080531::V2.00.080531
WOL parser version: V2.00.080531::V2.00.080531
Image parser version: V2.00.090720::V2.00.090720
TXT parser version: V2.00.080624::V2.00.080624
FB2 parser version: V2.00.080531::V2.00.080531
Viewer version: V2.0.090729::V2.0.090729
BookShelf version: V2.00.090825::V2.00.090907
Copyright card ID
EPD waveform V110_B043_50_WD2802_BTC
Dev ID: JINKeBOOK1125CC05009089200000154

AJ

Last edited by AJ Starr; 09-25-2009 at 03:13 PM.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Lets say I have an internal ToC with say 15 hyperlinks? How would this convoluted method work to specify anymore than the first 10? And what about history? So I jump to an endnote, how do I go back to the page I was on?

The TOC and bookmarks are multipaged lists. You turn the page as you would the main folders. The hyperlinks just are one way.

I suggest you use the bookmark feature, set the current page as a bookmark before you Jump, then when you are through, call up the bookmark listing and Jump back.

Since the "readers" are not able to execute programs as a computer would, this seems a workable answer.

AJ
Old 09-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I believe I read it gives a "next" option to see the additional 5
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
The description seems to be the same as the last Astak firmware update. If the current page in your ePub has a hyperlink, pressing the zero key will highlight (underline) the hyperlink and you would press the ok button to follow it. If there is more than one hyperlink on a page, you just keep pressing the zero key until the hyperlink you want to follow is highlighted, pressing 9 will highlight the previous hyperlink. In JSWolf's example, to choose hyperlink 15, you would press the zero button 15 times and then hit the ok button.

Unfortunately, there isn't a 'back' command in the epub format once you follow a hyperlink, so you'll need to bookmark the page or check to see what page number you are on so you'll know where to return to. If this is actually a new firmware update, hopefully they've corrected this.

(Hyperlinks in the mobi format work differently and there is a way to return to your original spot in the book.)
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:21 PM   #9
AJ Starr
Guru

I just put 17 bookmarks in a file. 5 to a page. As I added the 6th one, the second page was formed, the 11th one added the 3rd page, etc. They are accessed by the page forward and page back button.

I don't know if there is a limit, anyone know?

I have a book or two with many hyperlinks, listing that each line item is hyperlinked, so I'm guessing there are no limits to those either.

My TOC is many pages so I doubt if there is a limit there either.

AJ
Old 09-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #10
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamzilla View Post
The description seems to be the same as the last Astak firmware update. If the current page in your ePub has a hyperlink, pressing the zero key will highlight (underline) the hyperlink and you would press the ok button to follow it. If there is more than one hyperlink on a page, you just keep pressing the zero key until the hyperlink you want to follow is highlighted, pressing 9 will highlight the previous hyperlink. In JSWolf's example, to choose hyperlink 15, you would press the zero button 15 times and then hit the ok button.

Unfortunately, there isn't a 'back' command in the epub format once you follow a hyperlink, so you'll need to bookmark the page or check to see what page number you are on so you'll know where to return to. If this is actually a new firmware update, hopefully they've corrected this.

(Hyperlinks in the mobi format work differently and there is a way to return to your original spot in the book.)
The last Astak upgrade makes no mention of the upgrade of the PDF and EPUB parser.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #11
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
The last Astak upgrade makes no mention of the upgrade of the PDF and EPUB parser.
You're right.

If they've upgraded the parser, maybe the PDF reflow will be better and images in epubs will be handled better.

Quote:
I don't know if there is a limit, anyone know?
I don't think so. The largest book I have has 52 chapters and they all showed up in the TOC (7 pages of it!).
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote