Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 12:52 AM   #226
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Thanks for that. It is uneven, but it won't be a deal breaker for me I really don't think. I guess we'll see.
No deal breaker for me either as long as it can be lessened by turning up the light a bit. Fortunately there is very little to read at the bottom of the page. I hope the shadows are only at the bottom of the page.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #227
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Any chance you could post a picture? I'd like to see what you're seeing.
There's a person over in the Reviews thread that posted pictures that are identical to what I'm seeing. Here's the post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=22
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #228
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I've only seen one other person say they got theirs today, and that was in the Kindle Boards forum. what kind of splotchiness are you seeing? Is it the eInk or the light layer? I noticed one of the reviews from this morning had light and dark shadows from the light at the bottom of the screen.
I updated my other posts on this, and basically the splotchiness was actually apparently just oil from my fingers as I touched the screen. In short, it wiped off, and shows up periodically in other places. It's only noticeable, actually, at an angle, and doesn't show at all when looking straight-on. I'll update my other post as well to avoid any confusion.

Really, there's only the little bit of shadowing at the bottom of the screen. Otherwise, the lighting is uniform and very pleasant. I'm finding level 13 out of 24 to be just right for most environments so far.
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:51 AM   #229
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
I updated my other posts on this, and basically the splotchiness was actually apparently just oil from my fingers as I touched the screen. In short, it wiped off, and shows up periodically in other places. It's only noticeable, actually, at an angle, and doesn't show at all when looking straight-on. I'll update my other post as well to avoid any confusion.
Capacitive screens are known to show splotchiness with fingerprints. It's one of the pet peeves I have with the Kindle Fire.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #230
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post

Really, there's only the little bit of shadowing at the bottom of the screen. Otherwise, the lighting is uniform and very pleasant. I'm finding level 13 out of 24 to be just right for most environments so far.
Thank you for the information!
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #231
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
*pouts* I'm still stuck on "Shipping Soon." Hey, Amazon--teasing me like that is just mean!!
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #232
jswinden
Nameless Being

Mine is out for delivery. UPS normally gets to my home around early to mid-afternoon, but given all the Kindles he probably has stacked up in his Metro van I don't expect him until late afternoon or early evening.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #233
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
I've got one out for delivery that has a serial number and one shipping soon that has no serial number. Funny thing is that I ordered them both in the same transaction and they both show an estimated delivery of today. I'm thinking that the 2nd one may be in the box and somebody forgot to scan it in or something. Fingers are crossed.

I already renamed the one that has a serial number to "Greg's Kindle" so the risk here is the my wife does not talk to me if the other one does not come. Oh well, at least I'll be able to lose myself in a good book Before you start calling me a bad husband, she got the iPhone 5 last week while I'm still using my iPhone 4 so it is my turn to be first with the new toy!
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #234
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Edit turned into a double post.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #235
jswinden
Nameless Being

Super slow MR servers and lots of double posts

The past two days or so I've noticed that it takes forever to post to a MR thread. I assume that is why we are seeing so many double posts. I wonder if the MR servers are having major issues? I don't think it is related to a higher volume of posts as those seem to be about the normal amount.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-02-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #236
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
I've got one out for delivery that has a serial number and one shipping soon that has no serial number. Funny thing is that I ordered them both in the same transaction and they both show an estimated delivery of today. I'm thinking that the 2nd one may be in the box and somebody forgot to scan it in or something. Fingers are crossed.

I already renamed the one that has a serial number to "Greg's Kindle" so the risk here is the my wife does not talk to me if the other one does not come. Oh well, at least I'll be able to lose myself in a good book Before you start calling me a bad husband, she got the iPhone 5 last week while I'm still using my iPhone 4 so it is my turn to be first with the new toy!
[COMIC RELIEF]Cool, smart. However, experience tells me that arguing with a woman is like taking a knife to a gunfight--it won't end well. [/COMIC RELIEF]

BTW, I renamed my Paperwhite to Shadowlands a couple of weeks ago. That was long before the probably minor light shadow issues came to light (pun intended).
Old 10-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #237
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I got an email from UPS. (I signed up with UPS My Choice). It says the Paperwhite and cover should be delivered between 12:30 and 4:30 today.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #238
timelysarcasm
Warrior Princess
timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 4
Got the shipping notice last night for both my PW SO and cover, both arrive tomorrow. Can't wait! Kindle will arrive 8 days earlier than shipping estimate. Thanks, amazon.
timelysarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #239
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
My Paperwhite is on the truck heading to my house. I suddenly don't feel well... cough... cough... I may have to leave work early.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #240
jswinden
Nameless Being

Just got mine! Hey they come in a black box rather than the usual brown box. And my UPS guy had another UPS guy with him. I asked if he was breaking in a new guy. He laughed and said no that was his boss who following him today to make sure he didn't throw all the packages in the dumpster!

Now to unbox and check it out.