Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
llark
llark began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Question Russian-English dictionary

I've installed on my Kindle 3G English-Russian and Russian-English dictionaries in proper formats. When English-Russian works great, Russian-English doesn't. It seems that Kindle do not support cirillic letters in on screen pop-up dictionaries. Have you got any ideas how to solve that problem. Maybe jailbreak or Duokan will help?
llark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
kvydm01
kvydm01 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi
See the solution here: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16383
kvydm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
Russian-English pop-up dictionary does not work on kindle. I read the dictionary thread on www.the-ebook.org. The Russians tried but it did not work. They asked Amazon. The answer is it is not clear when it will support that.
I asked guys in Kiev. Pocketbook supports Ru-En pop-up.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
robertbaker
robertbaker began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
hi. can you please tell me where you got your eng-russ-eng dictionary from?
robertbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
thopium
thopium began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
So there are still no Russian-English dictionaries yet, correct?
thopium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I downloaded the dictionary referenced at the link kvydm01 gives above. It works a little bit, or at least enough to be useful to me. Popup def does not work, but (after setting ru-en dictionary as default) if you select the word to lookup, (click to start selection, 5way to end of word, _spacebar_ to copy to note, then select the button for 'dictionary' search), it will display a list of closest-matching words in the dictionary, and then you can select one of those to display a definition. I will probably actually improve my vocabulary more quickly this way since it is so much work to look up the word! <g>
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I downloaded the dictionary referenced at the link kvydm01 gives above. It works a little bit, or at least enough to be useful to me. Popup def does not work, but (after setting ru-en dictionary as default) if you select the word to lookup, (click to start selection, 5way to end of word, _spacebar_ to copy to note, then select the button for 'dictionary' search), it will display a list of closest-matching words in the dictionary, and then you can select one of those to display a definition. I will probably actually improve my vocabulary more quickly this way since it is so much work to look up the word! <g>
Also, one can make DIY Ruissian-English dictionary (downloaded from the-ebook.org) to provide translation of any entered Russian word without keyboard hack applied. Just use this mapping table:
http://pastie.org/1220025

Last edited by EbokJunkie; 05-09-2011 at 07:03 PM.
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
hi. can you please tell me where you got your eng-russ-eng dictionary from?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20480

especially :https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...08&postcount=9

Last edited by thomass; 05-14-2011 at 10:05 PM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
tabus
tabus began at the beginning.

Hi, I am not that tech-savvy. Could anyone point to a link where I could download the russian-english dictionary you are referring to.
tabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabus View Post
Hi, I am not that tech-savvy. Could anyone point to a link where I could download the russian-english dictionary you are referring to.
You don't need to be tech-savy, you should be Russian-savy to pinpoint what you need . Check here.

Last edited by EbokJunkie; 05-21-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
tabus

Thanks for the link. I also found this link with many dictionaries. http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...=472141#472141
From what I understood from the posts in the ebook forum there is a bug in kindle that prevents the popup definitions.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:41 PM   #12
EbokJunkie
Addict

Yes, you cannot get popup if book language is not English.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:40 AM   #13
tabus

Actually with German it works fine. The problem is with non-Latin scripts. My main problem now is how to change the book language from Calibre for Mac. There is supposed to be a script to do that but for the time-being there is no interface option.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #14
EbokJunkie
Addict

Calibre allows to use command line. To change language and/or title, you need to enter:
ebook-meta file_name -t title -l language
where language is en for English. List of other languages is here.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #15
tabus

Thank you for your reply. I was not able to find the command line in calibre

Tags
kindle dictionary