Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #16
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Huh. Their markup is obviously huge.

I'll confess: I've always avoided companies that wield marketing sledgehammers, but I'm seriously considering jumping the iRiver ship and buying a Kindle. (Sigh!!)
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #17
samac
Connoisseur
samac doesn't littersamac doesn't litter

Device: EB03 iriver story
I just bought a spares or repair EB02 Iriver Story, Hopefully the screen in that will be able to be replace my broken one. Then I will have a spare and some spare parts. A lot cheaper than buying from Iriver.

If anyone from Iriver ever reads this, "You should be ashamed of the prices you charge for spare screens."

samac
samac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #18
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
If you've got the expertise to replace the screen, samac, half your luck! ;-)

I agree with you about iRiver's replacement charges. They're insupportable. And I've become a bit dismayed with my own Story, which was only bought in May and has a battery that seems to be diminishing quickly -- over the last month or so its life on a full charge has diminished from about four weeks to around eight days. And the battery isn't designed to be user-replaceable.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #19
samac
Connoisseur

Quote:
And the battery isn't designed to be user-replaceable.
Too true! At first the battery looks easy to replace, but it is stuck down so tight that you would break the screen if you tried to lever it out. However if you remove the screen first (fairly easy if you're careful) then the battery would be easy to replace. The hard bit would be getting a replacement.

samac
Old 11-10-2010, 02:13 AM   #20
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by samac View Post
The hard bit would be getting a replacement.

samac
If you can find a manufacturer's model number, it might be possible to get a cheapie from one of the usual suppliers. It's a while since I did this - for a Dell laptop - but I have an idea that a third party equivalent went for about a third of the price of one from Dell, and on our older Sun machines we often used third-party parts - memory and such.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #21
samac
Connoisseur

Broken iriver story EB02 ordered and delivered from ebay £37.90, screen removed and put into my broken EB02, a few tense moments and then one HAPPY samac.

I now have two working e-readers and a few spare parts.

Thank goodness for ebay.

samac