Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-24-2009, 07:00 AM   #1
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
4.130 appears fragile on Windows

I am finding that I am getting a lot of occurences of Calibre just crashing and dying with the 4.130 build on Windows XP SP3. There is no calibre style exception message - the calibre process just disappears from Task manager (typically leaving calibre-parallel still running)

It appears to happen primarily if a conversion is in progress and I click on the GUI, and in particular after I have used the drop-down to change the output format (I regularily toggle between LRF and EPUB). I have not yet got a step-by-step repeatable process down that causes this error.

It is possible it is just my system, but I thought it was worth mentioning it here to see if others are seeing the same symptoms?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:05 AM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Rock solid here with XP SP2.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I am finding that I am getting a lot of occurences of Calibre just crashing and dying with the 4.130 build on Windows XP SP3. There is no calibre style exception message - the calibre process just disappears from Task manager (typically leaving calibre-parallel still running)

It appears to happen primarily if a conversion is in progress and I click on the GUI, and in particular after I have used the drop-down to change the output format (I regularily toggle between LRF and EPUB). I have not yet got a step-by-step repeatable process down that causes this error.

It is possible it is just my system, but I thought it was worth mentioning it here to see if others are seeing the same symptoms?
It can also happen if you have agressive antivirus/antispyware software. For example I had problems with nod32 antispyware feature.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If there's some equivalent of strace on windows, it might help to get a stack trace
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There is a tool called dependency walker which can be used to generate trace log. You can get it from here http://www.dependencywalker.com/
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If there's some equivalent of strace on windows, it might help to get a stack trace
A good thought - I will try running it with ProcMon (Process Monitor) active to see if it indicates what was happening at the time things went wrong. It will generate reams of output, but only the bits near the end should be relevant.

It certainly seems to be related in some way to the fact that I am changing the output format. If I refrain from doing that I do not seem to get any crashes.

Last edited by itimpi; 01-24-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:15 AM   #7
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post

Also Having trouble with my up date 4,130. Tried it twice on my Vista and on my XP. Neither worked. Never had that problem before. It installs, but then says there is an error that has occurred.

In the end the installation does not work.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:19 AM   #8
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Also Having trouble with my up date 4,130. Tried it twice on my Vista and on my XP. Neither worked. Never had that problem before. It installs, but then says there is an error that has occurred.

In the end the installation does not work.

I stand corected it now works. Ta Kovidgoyal...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:04 AM   #9
itimpi
Wizard

I have tried running with ProcMon and so far the output is not pointing at anything obvious.

One thing I have confirmed is that if I never change the output format things seem to be stable. Since I have both a Sony PRS-500 and Stanza on an iPhone I want outputs in both LRF and EPUB format so my typical work pattern is:
  • Add several books to the library
  • Correct their metadata and covers to the values I want
  • Start bulk conversion to one format
  • When that conversion has started running, switch the output format to the other one I want
  • Start the bulk conversion on the other format (conversion to other format is still running)
  • With the conversions running as background jobs attempt to do other things in the GUI
It is possible that this is not the standard work pattern for those who were reporting no problems, particularily if they only are producing one output format as they only have one ereader device.

The other thing I have noticed is that if conversions are running in the background the GUI periodically freezes for a while. It looks as though this is when a conversion of a particular book completes. I am guessing at this point there is something happening in the GUI relating to that completion?

I now have my source install up and running nicely, so if you want me to look for specific items at that level let me know what they are.

Last edited by itimpi; 01-25-2009 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:48 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The GUI freezing is when it is is adding the converted book to the database.

I've made one change that affects the output format combobox, can you update your source to the latest from trunk and try?
Old 01-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #11
itimpi
Wizard

Been out all day - will update now and try it.

Any specific modules I should be looking to refresh - or is a general refresh of everyhting best?
Old 01-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

a general refresh is best
Old 01-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
itimpi
Wizard

What is the command for that?

I have done a bzr co type command to get my initial source set as mentioned in the calibre guide for setting up the calibre development environment. Which bazaar command simply refreshes it to the latest? I could not spot it in my quick perusal of the bazaar documentation.

I could delete my current source and check it out all again, but that seems a bit unnecessary.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:24 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

bzr merge lp:calibre
Old 01-26-2009, 07:40 AM   #15
itimpi
Wizard

I THINK things may be more stable

To be more certain I probably want to run from binaries rather than source. What is the command I need to run to produce the Windows binaries.