Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
How to fix my Japanese firmware problem.

As I posted in the Aura impressions thread, I just got my Aura from Rakuten and overall I'm quite pleased with it. One problem however is that the Japanese firmware does not come with Pocket. This is not a deal breaker but it is very significant. When I connected via wifi the first time it automatically downloaded new firmware and updated. Would it be possible to reset (rollback the firmware) the reader and then connect it directly to my computer and either change the affiliate to get a normal update or install a downloaded firmware?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Did you already try to change the affiliate with your current FW? Some Japanese bloggers say that this is enough to enable access to pocket, if I understand correctly.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
tshering, any links you could share?
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
tshering, any links you could share?
Connect your Kobo to your computer, look in the .kobo directory for a file called affiliate.conf. Open the file with a text editor and you should see one line in it. Try changing that line to:

affiliate=KoboIndigo

and see if this has any effect.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
Antioch
Connoisseur

Canuck, would you mind reporting back, letting us know if the trick worked?

I'm holding off purchasing an Aura until I know whether or not the problem is fixable.

Thanks!
Advert
Old 12-15-2013, 05:48 AM   #6
norbusan
Zealot
norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, Kobo GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Connect your Kobo to your computer, look in the .kobo directory for a file called affiliate.conf. Open the file with a text editor and you should see one line in it. Try changing that line to:
That worked for me, great. BIG THANKS!!! I am living in Japan and had the very same problem ...

Are there any further changes to be expected by changing the affiliate?

Thanks and all the best

Norbert
norbusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbusan View Post
That worked for me, great. BIG THANKS!!! I am living in Japan and had the very same problem ...

Are there any further changes to be expected by changing the affiliate?

Thanks and all the best

Norbert
There can be some side effects such as the cover image not showing when your Kobo is powered off or sleeping (noticed by those who have FNAC as their affiliate). I haven't seen any major effects when I've played with changing the affiliate including setting affiliates that don't exist.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:41 AM   #8
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I'm holding off purchasing an Aura until I know whether or not the problem is fixable.

Thanks!
Norbusan seems to confirm it but I will also check tonight when I get home. If it's something as simple as merely changing the affiliate the I will be extremely pleased.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:43 AM   #9
norbusan
Zealot
norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
There can be some side effects such as the cover image not showing when your Kobo is powered off
Not in my case (3.1.1), here cover image is properly shown.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

Quote:

Thanks!
I can confirm that this works. I didn't even need to update to get it so it's obvious that it's right there on the reader. I did get a new update on top of that as well. I assume it's updating me to 3.1.1 now.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
norbusan
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I can confirm that this works. I didn't even need to update to get it so it's obvious that it's right there on the reader. I did get a new update on top of that as well. I assume it's updating me to 3.1.1 now.
Me neither. I had 3.1.1 installed. Just connected the device, edited the file, rebooted, and there we go, Pocket was back.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:51 AM   #12
Antioch
Connoisseur

What are the different settings available for affiliates?
What does KoboIndigo mean? EN-US?
Old 12-17-2013, 05:56 AM   #13
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
What are the different settings available for affiliates?
What does KoboIndigo mean? EN-US?
Canadian book store chain.
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/home/?langtype=4105

Canada's National Language is English and French

Last edited by filmo; 12-17-2013 at 06:01 AM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #14
nghuiyen
nghuiyen began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
Hi

I'm having the same problem. I bought the Kobo Aura from Rakuten.co.jp but i didn't realise that the Japanese version does not have pocket integration.

Can i find out how do I find the affiliate.conf file? I'm using a mac and when I click on the folder in Finder, it doesn't show the file.

TIA.
nghuiyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
On a Mac it is in a hidden folder. See if http://computers.tutsplus.com/tutori...s-x--mac-48663 helps in navigating to it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote