Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
Donwbtr
Donwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW 2
Kindle PW1 Frozen: Restart doesn't work

1st gen Paperwhite 3G- froze after downloading a book from Amazon via 3g (Amazon warned that loading times might be longer than usual because of file size) When the download was complete I went to settings, when I touched "airplane mode" to turn off the 3g connection the Kindle froze, the "on" button is still dark and the time displayed is when the freeze occurred. The battery was adequately charged, the PW1 has had the large update (don't remember the version but it was the one that changed the interface to resemble the PW2) although it had to be done manually

I've tried the press and hold the power button several times with no success, the display doesn't darken after several seconds or anything else, while on the phone with Amazon support we went through all their variations without success. The Kindle is not recognized by Win7 when plugged in via the micro USB port, although I have received the message "installing NS Blank Codex" while windows seemed to be searching for a driver.

I have browsed the threads here and on the Kindle Developers forum, if I understand them correctly attempting to reflash the BIOS through a utility on a USB stick will not work in the situation, I would very much like to be wrong. Is there any more useful information I can supply?

Is there any chance that removing and then replacing the battery would work? From what I can tell the Kindle doesn't have a conventional cmos cell. Any other suggestions? Since it is 1.5 years old Amazon's only suggestion is that I can buy an equivalent remanufactured PW2 for $163.

Many thanks and I apologize if this post covers old ground but I wanted to make sure I had the best information.

Don
Donwbtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
It wouldn't hurt to remove the battery and replace it after several hours (even a day?) if that is an option. Didn't think they were removeable but I don't know much about them (sorry).

-kathy
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Plug it into a wall charger and let it sit for several hours and then try resetting it by holding down the power button for 30 seconds.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
Donwbtr
Donwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with othersDonwbtr plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
It wouldn't hurt to remove the battery and replace it after several hours (even a day?) if that is an option. Didn't think they were removeable but I don't know much about them (sorry).

-kathy
It's not supposed to be user replaceable but it's not too hard to do, as long as you don't crack the screen and keep track of all the different #$%^& little screws earlier models were a lot easier.

Last edited by Donwbtr; 09-15-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
Donwbtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by induna View Post
Plug it into a wall charger and let it sit for several hours and then try resetting it by holding down the power button for 30 seconds.
I will do that again, I did give it a couple of tries, once after unplugging from the charger and the second time leaving it connected when directed to do so by Amazon. Not a surprise given the frozen screen but the battery thermometer still shows the around 3/4 charge it had of the time of the problem.
Advert
Old 09-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donwbtr View Post
I will do that again, I did give it a couple of tries, once after unplugging from the charger and the second time leaving it connected when directed to do so by Amazon. Not a surprise given the frozen screen but the battery thermometer still shows the around 3/4 charge it had of the time of the problem.
I would plug it into the wall charger and leave it overnight (make sure you use a wall charger and not a computer) and then try it. Resist the urge to check it until at least 4 hours have passed.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:40 PM   #7
Donwbtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I would plug it into the wall charger and leave it overnight (make sure you use a wall charger and not a computer) and then try it. Resist the urge to check it until at least 4 hours have passed.

Shari
Do you recommend unplugging it first (the normal technique) or trying while still connected? Or trying it both ways, connected and then unplugged?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Don
Old 09-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Donwbtr: I'd go with unplugged, although that's not an issue anymore on recent devices (at least with non-frozen devices ^^).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #9
Donwbtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Donwbtr: I'd go with unplugged, although that's not an issue anymore on recent devices (at least with non-frozen devices ^^).
Still no luck after an all night charge. One additional bit of info in case it might be useful, the power switch itself still seems to be working. It has the correct tactile feedback; and when the kindle is plugged into a charger the amber light comes on but will go off eventually if the power switch is held down, the led comes on again when the switch is released.

Are there any other suggestions? Would it make any since to post this over at the developers forum? They did seem to have had success unbricking Kindles, although the threads I read indicated that using a usb boot drive didn't work with the newer Kindles. Also, while Win7 installs a driver after a Windows Update search-

it still doesn't "see" the kindle even as an unknown device.

Many thanks,
Don

Last edited by Donwbtr; 09-10-2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: additional information and questions
Old 09-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #10
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Still no luck after an all night charge. One additional bit of info in case it might be useful, the power switch itself still seems to be working. It has the correct tactile feedback; and when the kindle is plugged into a charger the amber light comes on but will go off eventually if the power switch is held down, the led comes on again when the switch is released.
Does the led eventually turn green when it is plugged in?

Shari
Old 09-11-2014, 01:44 AM   #11
Donwbtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Does the led eventually turn green when it is plugged in?

Shari
No, at some point the amber led turns off completely, it will reappear if unplugged and then plugged back in but never green.

Don
Old 09-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #12
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
No, at some point the amber led turns off completely, it will reappear if unplugged and then plugged back in but never green.

Don
That definitely sounds like a hardware issue--it's not actually charging all the way. I would contact Kindle support at http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200127470

Edit: Sorry...I just read back through the thread and noticed that you've already contacted them. It may be worth it to try again, though...a different support rep may give you a different answer, especially if you let them know that it's not charging all the way.

Shari

Last edited by shalym; 09-11-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #13
Donwbtr

I'm out of ideas now, unless someone has some additional suggestions. I removed the battery and then waited an hour and then overnight before replacing it. did try a variety of reset attempts with the battery on and even off.

Don
Old 09-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #14
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
It's not clear to me that you tried to actually turn the device off by pressing the reset button for a good 30 seconds or more. (You said "several" seconds, it takes more than that).

This kind of problem can occur when the device runs short of space to create its index. (It happened to me), especially when I had subscriptions on it. If you can get it turned off, plug the usb into the pc and try turning it on. That'll open a window for the device on the pc and you can delete books to free up some space for the index to continue.

Of course, if you took out the battery you DID turn it off BUT if you then restarted it without going into USB mode to clear some free space, you just ran into the same problem when it restarted.

The Kindle gets REALLY wonky when it has less than about 150 mb free on it. It also can do so when there's a bad file that it's trying to index so ... if you CAN get it turned back on in USB mode ... I'd try deleting all your books and start again from scratch, again via the PC.

At least, that whole process worked for me when I had this problem.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:04 AM   #15
Donwbtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
It's not clear to me that you tried to actually turn the device off by pressing the reset button for a good 30 seconds or more. (You said "several" seconds, it takes more than that).

This kind of problem can occur when the device runs short of space to create its index. (It happened to me), especially when I had subscriptions on it. If you can get it turned off, plug the usb into the pc and try turning it on. That'll open a window for the device on the pc and you can delete books to free up some space for the index to continue.

Of course, if you took out the battery you DID turn it off BUT if you then restarted it without going into USB mode to clear some free space, you just ran into the same problem when it restarted.

The Kindle gets REALLY wonky when it has less than about 150 mb free on it. It also can do so when there's a bad file that it's trying to index so ... if you CAN get it turned back on in USB mode ... I'd try deleting all your books and start again from scratch, again via the PC.

At least, that whole process worked for me when I had this problem.
I'm afraid I wrote several times not seconds, reset attempts involved holding down the power button at least 40 seconds and usually over a minute. Amazon tech support had me try with several different techniques, by this time reset has been attempted over 30 times at least.

There was plenty of storage free when it froze, probably less than 10% full. From the timing it was almost certainly caused by a bad book (Marengo and Hohenlinden: Napoleon's Rise to Power by James R. Arnold) download, I'm somewhat annoyed that Amazon hasn't been of more help since the problem file was being downloaded directly from Amazon through their matchbook program.

The screen still shows the time when it froze and the dark flash when airplane mode was pushed. The computer won't recognize the Kindle even as an unknown device although it sometimes makes that excited Windows noise when connected by the USB cable. I did experiment with replacing the battery with the Kindle both connected and unconnected to the computer, waiting overnight, pressing and holding the power button with the battery removed etc.