Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
Dr_Bobio
Dr_Bobio began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Cool I feel like a dope =/

Hello everyone!
This is my first post (call for help actually). I have my own Kindle DX (latest generation) that I absolutely love. I bought my daughter one of the new 6" wi fi only kindles for Christmas last year. Got it hooked up to the wi-fi and set up with her own Amazon acct to download books when she could afford them. no problems for months. (Here's my plight) Then one day I'm poking around in my router settings and see a strange MAC address in my router. The manufacturer was identified as "Private"! I thought I was being prudent by blocking that MAC from accessing my router, even though I have it secure with 16 character random generated password. Fast forward one month and my daughter comes up to me and tells me that her Kindle won't connect. Lo and behold her kindle was the owner of that MAC address I blocked. I logged into my router, unblocked the MAC, saved my changes and tried connecting again. No go. Then I went in and totally disabled the MAC filtering feature in my router, saved my changes, tried again. still no go. Then I rebooted the router, checked that my mac filtering setting was still disabled. it was. tried again, still no go. At this point, I am thinking I have a cnote plus paperweight on my hands, but my illustrious wife says we can just download the book she needs for school and transfer it via usb. (I'm supposed to be the computer genius in this house) that solved my problem for the interim, but I would really like to resolve the issue that started this whole trip down Eatcrow Rd. anyone have some advice they can share with a very humbled father?

Thanks in advance
Bobby
Dr_Bobio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I would go into her kindle and set up the wireless connection all over again, just a guess but I think it stopped trying to automatically connect after being blocked.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Yes, that's what I'd try. Should work. If it doesn't I'd give Kindle Service a call.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
Dr_Bobio

I had already tried that a few times, as well as entering in the IP address and Gateway,etc as a static entry, rather than DHCP. That didn't work. I've tried to find a kindle support phone number on Amazon's website. Instead all I can find is the FAQ section, which tells the reader to "contact the person who configured your router" for most every thing. I am ashamed to ask my co-workers as I work in the computer industry, which adds to the whole humble state I have put myself in. I was reaching out to the e-reader community hoping that someone else might have blundered such as I. I've learned another lesson in life.

Does anyone know of a Kindle support phone #? I'm not too proud to call. . .

Thanks
Bobby
Old 08-31-2011, 11:54 PM   #5
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
click "Your Account" then "Kindle Help Home" then click the "Contact Us" button on the right. They will actually call you
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
dmcounts
Enthusiast
dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: K2, K3-3G/WIFI
Have you checked to see if you have a WPA or WEP wireless password set in the router?
dmcounts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Delete router entry on Kindle. Shut Kindle down. Turn it back on. Type in router info into kindle. As a cross check set up wireless connection on a laptop or other wireless device as well as you are setting up the Kindle. See if that works. If Kindle does not connect and laptop does then you have a kindle problem. If neither connects then its a settings problem.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #8
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Also, try resetting the router itself (I think you just hold down the reset button, if you have it, for a moment). It could be that the firmware is buggy and it memorized the data and won't get rid of it.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #9
Dr_Bobio

No Go on all the above. Now I guess it's just time to buy an new router. I even had kindle support to call me. His words were, "you know more about this than I do" when I told him everything I had tried before reaching out to kindle support. Resetting (not cycling power) my router has had some adverse effects as well. My windows 7 dell xps laptop now won't connect. Everything else wireless in the house still works fine though. (2 blu rays, 3 Wiis, 3 other laptops, my kindle dx (altough i just use the 3g, i wanted to make sure), 2 printers, 3 iTouch's and an iPad, and 3 droid phones all still connect to the wi-fi. I tell ya, I got a real head scratcher on my hands. I think the router is the oldest piece of equipment I have so it's time to buy a new one. sigh. . . .

Bobby
PS Thank to everyone for all the great suggestions etc.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
Bertie.W
Bertie.W began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Don't go out buying a new router just yet. I had a similar issue with my router: I screened out the MAC address of a computer and then wasn't able to get it to reconnect even after turning off MAC filtering entirely. What finally solved the issue was reflashing the router software, and then setting it up from scratch. I haven't had any issues with it since.
Bertie.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Bobio View Post
Everything else wireless in the house still works fine though. (2 blu rays, 3 Wiis, 3 other laptops, my kindle dx (altough i just use the 3g, i wanted to make sure), 2 printers, 3 iTouch's and an iPad, and 3 droid phones all still connect to the wi-fi.
Amazon has never sold a Kindle DX with wi-fi. How did you connect to wi-fi with a DX?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #12
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Amazon has never sold a Kindle DX with wi-fi. How did you connect to wi-fi with a DX?
Karma to j.p.s. for being the first to notice that (or at least to mention it).
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Karma to j.p.s. for being the first to notice that (or at least to mention it).
Not to much karma cause the Thread opener clearly said he had an DX but bought his daughter a 6inch wifi only
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sischa View Post
Not to much karma cause the Thread opener clearly said he had an DX but bought his daughter a 6inch wifi only
Yeah, it was only the reference in the post he quoted that we're talking about. Though it does sort of cast some doubt on the testing procedures overall....
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #15
Dr_Bobio

Wow! How astute of someone to notice that about the DX and mention it. The DX was the first E-Reader for me. Although if we are getting particular the reader will notice that I state I only use the 3g, I just assumed that it had wi-fi capability as well. I was, at the time, recalling from my fading memory all wireless devices I could think of in the house and, as there have been no other issues, included it in the list. Shame on me. Which brings me to one of my favorite sayings, "Unless your annual income is in the 7 digit range, there is no place for ego". :-) @ Bertie, thanks for the advice Bertie, I will give it a shot. Should work, I am just not looking forward to starting all over again. Until then, I'm just telling her to connect to her laptop and download/transfer whatever books she wants.