Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #16
Fortissimo
Connoisseur
Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition (PRS-650BC)
Hey Sea,
When you say overnight you mean like 6 or 7 hours? Is that going to be safe? It says on the manual that the light goes off when fully charged. Shouldn't I unplug it then?
I haven't really set up anything yet. Just the language and default dictionary. I'm trying to take my time so that the euphoria of having a new reader doesnt lead to me damaging it I thought as much that those were dummy cards but needed to be 100% sure. No Sony support here so if anything goes wrong, I'm on my own! (actually I have mobileread, too)
For me, I'm sure the dictionary feature is going to be very very very helpful. i love looking up words! It's going to get a lot of use with my Sherlock Holmes collection

Forgot to add this,
The e ink display is superb! It's so clear, one may not even notice it's not back-lit! Some really awesome technology. I guess it's because this is my first ereader. It guess it's like getting a Rolls Royce as a first car. Everything is so awe-inspiring

Last edited by Fortissimo; 02-10-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Fortissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #17
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
How many bars is your battery indicator now? I believe mine arrived fully charged. I wouldn't feel bad about leaving it overnight if it were down to one (or less!).

I use the 1 Gb micro card (with adapter) that came with my mobile phone, as I have no intention of loading any content on there. I read sometimes in French and Spanish, so use those dictionaries more than English. I can recall once where an author used some German term (like "Gemeschellfarvuchten") in an English sentence, so I tapped the German - English dictionary on the word to figure out what he meant.

The e-ink really is superb, Fort. I went to the Sony Store to check out the 350/650's when they came out - there was a 900 there, too, and its screen was very noticeably murkier.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #18
Fortissimo
Connoisseur
Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Sea,
Why don't you use the devices' internal memory?
Also, how do you charge it. I've just noticed that the prs 650 is rated about 3.7V 940mA. However, the blackberry charger I intend to use is rated 5V 700mA.
It doesn't look right.

You know what, I think I'd be more comfortable using the official sony charger. Anyone with a link to purchase it in the UK?
I'll use my PC to charge it in the meantime. However, I've heard to many unpleasant stories about this.

Last edited by Fortissimo; 02-10-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #19
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Habit I guess -- Calibre seems to default to the SD card. I'm considering revamping that one of these days.

Your 5V phone charger is fine ... from another thread here:

I have the (official Sony) adapter. It says the following:

Sony PRSA-AC1
INPUT:100V-240V~
______50/60hz 0.2A
OUTPUT:5V — 1500mA
TYPE:ACC-211UC

Etienne66
Old 02-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #20
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortissimo View Post
Hey Sea,
I guess it's because this is my first ereader. It guess it's like getting a Rolls Royce as a first car. Everything is so awe-inspiring
That's a good one!!! I am so happy that you love it! Hope you have fun reading with it, too.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #21
Fortissimo
Connoisseur

Thanks Sea!
Sorry just saw your question now. At the last time I turned it on, the battery was about half full.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #22
Fortissimo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
That's a good one!!! I am so happy that you love it! Hope you have fun reading with it, too.
Thanks a lot Poppaea. I just saw a typo in my post.
You were really influential in my decision. I'm almost certain I made the right choice. When I've had the reader for at least a year, then I'd know for sure.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #23
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I hope you enjoy your reader, Fortissimo!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #24
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks a lot Poppaea. I just saw a typo in my post.
You were really influential in my decision. I'm almost certain I made the right choice. When I've had the reader for at least a year, then I'd know for sure.
Now I am really glad you like it!

BTW, I just mine straight away with the battery half loaded. As these new batteries do not have a memory effect I thought there would be no harm done.

And even more btw, there is a new cover for the 650 that makes me want to buy a 650, too.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #25
Fortissimo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I hope you enjoy your reader, Fortissimo!
Thanks a lot Latin. I'm sure I will. How long have you been using your 505? I hope my Sony lasts for a long time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Now I am really glad you like it!

BTW, I just mine straight away with the battery half loaded. As these new batteries do not have a memory effect I thought there would be no harm done.

And even more btw, there is a new cover for the 650 that makes me want to buy a 650, too.
How do you charge yours?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #26
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

I forgot to mention, Fort, that I've been using a phone charger with 5.1V/750mA for months successfully.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #27
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Thanks a lot Latin. I'm sure I will. How long have you been using your 505? I hope my Sony lasts for a long time!

How do you charge yours?
Computer, actually its quite fast.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #28
Fortissimo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I forgot to mention, Fort, that I've been using a phone charger with 5.1V/750mA for months successfully.
Ah...quite reassuring. But, you're sure there's no risk of long term damage? Perhaps a shorter battery life? Isn't 5.1volts too high? Seeing that the ereader only wants 3.7V?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #29
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

I posted above that the official Sony charger is marked for 5V.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #30
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

alternative chargers