Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-17-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
eskin
eskin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
How to navigate long TOC?

Hi!

I'm putting together LRF formatted tune books for traditional Irish music, have had very good results generating the PDF books from my scoring application, then converting using RasterFarian.

Ideally, I'd like to have a table of contents entry per tune, but that can get unwieldy to navigate, some of my books have over 1000 tunes, which would be over 100 TOC pages. I've fallen back to just having one TOC entry for each starting letter, but even with that, its not very useable since there can be 50 or more tunes in each letter.

The problem is that I can't see a way to quickly jump through long sets TOC pages (like is available for jumping 10 pages forward in the book) to get to the TOC page of interest.

An alternative would be to have some sort of hierarchical TOC organization, but as far as I can tell, the device flattens out any sort of hierarchy in the PDF TOC. Am I missing something?

I've searched the docs and this site, haven't found any tricks or shortcuts. Is this possible on the device?

Thank you for any advice or ideas!

Cheers,

Michael Eskin
San Diego, CA
eskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No way to do it with the Reader's own TOC, but if you're using software which lets you generate "links" within a document, you could always create your own hierarchical TOC using hyperlinks. I've done something similar with the various "anthologies" I've posted to the "Book Uploads" forum section - I start each one with an index of books, and then each entry in that takes you to a separate "Contents" page for that book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
You can have TOCs with multiple depth levels on the TOC of the Reader using PDFs.

You could list those songs alphabetically and then list every song once you selected the right letter maybe ?
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Cut your books up to shorter texts like one for each alphabet letter of your list.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
eskin
eskin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I guess that perhaps RasterFarian perhaps flattens the TOC structure when converting the PDF docs. I can't use the PDF versions of the files, the reader really seems to choke on 1000+ PDF docs that are all images, so conversion to native format while retaining the TOC hierarchy would be the ideal and desired solution.

Thanks for the great suggestions, any other ideas?

Last edited by eskin; 04-17-2007 at 02:48 PM.
eskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2007, 01:05 AM   #6
pitolee
Connoisseur
pitolee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
Since with Hyperlinks TOC matter would not have to go at the beginning of the book, how about starting out with a simple A B C D E F G kind of toc all on one/two lines.

A Link for Styles
A Link for Songwriters
A Link for Sets

Each of these links would jump to full links at the END of all the documents...

It would have one section for the Alpha listing - all for A - all for B - all for C
Then it could have a second selection, by Style Type - then alpha within that...
It could have a third section by Songwriter - Then alpha within that
It could even have a section by your favorite sets...

All of this at the end of the document where you wouldn't ever have to scroll through it...

I wonder if something like this would work....

How does BD handle one to many links... it seems to be capable of doing it...

Just a crazy idea.. probably too complicated to work...
pitolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:36 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I just finished support for an HTML -> LRF convertor that converts <a> elements to buttons in a LRF. It can process HTML files recursively, thus theoretically it should be able to handle any depth of TOC though i've only tested it with 3 levels.

Its still in svn so if you're interested I'll expedite releasing it
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal
I just finished support for an HTML -> LRF convertor that converts <a> elements to buttons in a LRF. It can process HTML files recursively, thus theoretically it should be able to handle any depth of TOC though i've only tested it with 3 levels.

Its still in svn so if you're interested I'll expedite releasing it
If it works on Windows, I'd be interested in giving it a try. Does it handle external fonts? And graphics such as drop text?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:39 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It puts graphics on separate pages. At the moment it doesn't handle external fonts. It does handle font-families, substituting the equivalent reader font for them. And yes it work on windows. It will be in libprs500-0.3.13.exe which I will release sometime this weekend. Get it from https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net

It's still very much alpha quality, so you may have problems, but I'll help you fix them.

EDIT: It's at https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/dow...500-0.3.13.exe
The converter is accessed by the command html2lrf (it's self documenting)

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 04-21-2007 at 02:37 PM.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote