Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
dlorenzo
dlorenzo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 DX
CDMA settings

This is my dream:

I just ordered a DX and would love to be able to register for 3G service in my hometown (Mexico). In order to do this I would need to be able to access the CDMA settings.

Has anyone been able to do it?
If it is possible, how can I get the SPC code? (for programming the CDMA radio)

Please if anyone can help just a bit let me know. A Kindle without 3G is a crippled Kindle from my point of view.

Thanks.
dlorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Whispernet service for the Kindle only operates via Sprint, in the USA. It is not possible to use wireless comms outside the area of Sprint coverage.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
pwjone1
Bookie
pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlorenzo View Post
This is my dream:

I just ordered a DX and would love to be able to register for 3G service in my hometown (Mexico). In order to do this I would need to be able to access the CDMA settings.

Has anyone been able to do it?
If it is possible, how can I get the SPC code? (for programming the CDMA radio)

Please if anyone can help just a bit let me know. A Kindle without 3G is a crippled Kindle from my point of view.

Thanks.
I think I see the principle behind what you're trying to do, but Sprint USA for now is kind of locked in. Might be that a local CDMA user has a Sprint cross, deal, but that would seem also unlikely to work. Whispernet is kind of a background extra-bits type application for Sprint, I would imagine. I wonder if Amazon would someday consider opening up Mexico and other regions. Currently, this is what the coverage map looks like:

http://www.showmycoverage.com/mycoverage.jsp?id=A921ZON

But Sprint does have Mexico (and Canada) coverage, so at least in theory, might eventually work there. Amazon and Sprint would have to do some work first, but clearly they both would be huge markets, low-hanging fruit. Probably it will open up more, as AT&T and Verizon get into the Cell phone distribution bit, coming shortly with competitive ebook readers.
pwjone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
amitlu
amitlu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Lorenzo,

My kindle worked in Mexico for a couple of days (after being registered in the US ) perfectly. So, in practice it works, now after a couple of days the radio detects the 3G (iusacell) signal and then does not connect.

What are you thinking about doing?
amitlu is offline   Reply With Quote