Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Yes, I know, but the strong reactions came from men and I wanted to raise a little bit of understanding for them.
And I can ask my question to you too: would you find it a terrible funny idea if your wife wears such a t-shirt when walking with you through the town, be it in Japan or in the US?

(I'm not talking about all the silly t-shirts we had when we were giggling 16. I thought this was about grown-ups here.)
My understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that many Japanese people wear clothing with nonsense English words or phrases on them without actually having a clue what they mean.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #62
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
To Kumabjorn and Stitchawl:

Oh, sorry, my mistake. I wrongly assumed that it was about another age group, don't know why.

Last edited by Billi; 11-22-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #63
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that many Japanese people wear clothing with nonsense English words or phrases on them without actually having a clue what they mean.
That's how I understood the laughing of the other girl: that she assumed that the foreign girl did not know what she was wearing.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #64
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
That's how I understood the laughing of the other girl: that she assumed that the foreign girl did not know what she was wearing.
Yes, she most likely thought that my boyfriend had made me wear it, in her mind he was playing me for a fool, that is why he wasn't happy about me wearing it. I'm fairly sure that the thought of me producing it and that it was a statement on the nonsense English on their t-shirts, never even registered on the radar. Stealth irony.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #65
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I actually wondered about that when I first saw this nonsens phrases on T-shirts and uses as names of shops and so on. Or is it that they understand the words but in the context they just read it as a sequence of words? Just like we have names that also can mean things but we do not interpret the names according to the literal meaning of the words.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #66
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
We got the same nonsense casual wear over here in Europe. I think teens think it's just cool to have some lines in English on their T-shirts or sweaters or whatever but sometimes (when you speak English) you have to wonder what is the meaning of it exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I actually wondered about that when I first saw this nonsens phrases on T-shirts and uses as names of shops and so on. Or is it that they understand the words but in the context they just read it as a sequence of words? Just like we have names that also can mean things but we do not interpret the names according to the literal meaning of the words.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #67
ValerieduSange
ValerieduSange began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, kindle paperwhite
I was already irritated with the quality of copyediting in books long before I started reading on an iPad. Seems like sometime in the 90s publishers just didn't want to spend the money anymore to get things really right.

For me, the wonder of the iPad is being able to read in bed at night with the light off, iPad propped up on a pillow, and fall asleep. Well, that and traveling without carrying 10 pounds of books with me.
ValerieduSange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:19 AM   #68
Krinks
Krinks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 & MobiPocket Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I'm a non-demanding e-book reader. I think in the past three years there's only been one e-book that was so poorly proofed that I couldn't get past the first chapter. I don't mind typos, I have no need to annotate, I don't need a dictionary... Once in a blue moon I come across a book that has all the apostrophes replaced with question marks. For some odd reason, that bothers me enough to put the book into a program with a 'search and replace' function, but then I'm good to go on. I read on a Sony 505 that has no touch screen, no backlight, just an old reliable e-book reader that I take with me where ever I go. I hope it lasts forever cuz I just hear waaaay too many problems with all the newer, better readers available today.

Stitchawl
I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I have a Kindle, and a number of ebooks for it. The book I read most recently was "Son of Heaven" by David Wingrove which did contain some typos (usually involving hyphenation). This didn't bother me much, but it is immediately noticeable. I haven't had much issue with the other books that I can recall.

On the other hand, one of my favourite sci-fi books, "Desolation Road," by Ian MacDonald was recently reissued. I bought it immediately as the cover is gorgeous, and my old copy has since fallen apart. There were 3 typos ON THE BACK COVER! Reading the book was painful as it was filled with typos which completely took me out of the experience. At one point, there was even a sentence cut off in mid-sentence! I actually considered writing the publisher to complain and see if I could get my money back, but I was too lazy for that. The point is: reading "Desolation Road" in hardcopy was a far worse experience than reading any ebook I own.
Krinks is offline   Reply With Quote