Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 07-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Dumb turning-on question

So, why do the Fire, iPad and for all i know, all tablets require one to slide the thingie across the screen?

Why don't they just turn on when you hit the On button?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
Lol - that's a great question! I guess it's a confirmation that you really mean to use it (rather than just something inadvertently bumping into the 'on' button). But then, so what if it turned on when accidentally bumped?
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
So, why do the Fire, iPad and for all i know, all tablets require one to slide the thingie across the screen?

Why don't they just turn on when you hit the On button?
To avoid accidental activation. My work mobile is a real pain in that respect - it's constantly turning on or off accidentally when it's in my pocket, and I sit down, or bend down, or bump into something. The iThing's "slide to activate" is much better.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To avoid accidental activation. My work mobile is a real pain in that respect - it's constantly turning on or off accidentally when it's in my pocket, and I sit down, or bend down, or bump into something. The iThing's "slide to activate" is much better.
Yeah, but I seldom put the Fire or iPad in my pocket.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Yeah, but I seldom put the Fire or iPad in my pocket.
It's an Android thing. Android was designed for phones first. Believe me if you own a Android phone you know all about pocket dialing. The slide thing is necessary. You can still pocket dial if you put the phone in your pocket before it locks. This is why I use the app Call Confirm on all our phones, It keeps you from pocket dialing someone. My hubby once pocket dial his folks at 3AM and it scared them that something was wrong. After that Call Confirm has saved us from many embarrassing moments.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado

Thanks, Blossom, that explains it. I had similar trouble with my old Samsung dumb phone, but there is a key that locks all keys other than that same key to turn it back on. It turns it on automatically if there is an incoming call.

You would think smart phones would be smart enough to do something like that without having to install an app, eh?

I guess your hubby was lucky the phone did not call Hong Kong.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, Blossom, that explains it. I had similar trouble with my old Samsung dumb phone, but there is a key that locks all keys other than that same key to turn it back on. It turns it on automatically if there is an incoming call.

You would think smart phones would be smart enough to do something like that without having to install an app, eh?

I guess your hubby was lucky the phone did not call Hong Kong.
I can't tell you how many times I about missed a call due to not being able to unlock my phone. I have anemia so cold fingers doesn't respond well at times to the touch screen. If I am wearing gloves forget trying to answer the phone. So yes technology isn't all the way there yet. I can lock my phone by pushing the button on top but I can't unlock it without swiping.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I totally agree. My Samsung Galaxy unlocks all the time in my pocket while I don't have that issue with my iPhone.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
It's not completely ubiquitous.

With the iPad, using the Smart Cover makes the swipe to unlock unnecessary, open the cover and you are good.

On Android, at least on Jelly Bean, one of the options for the Screen Lock under security settings is "None". Hit the button and the phone is on and unlocked
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Some android devices (Nexus 7 included) have a magnetic sensor under the screen, located so that a magnet in the cover being removed by opening the cover wakes the device up without needing a swipe. For the N7, there is a magnet hack mod for a Kindle Fire cover to make it work on when used on the N7 (described in the XDA forums).

Does a kindle fire have that mag sensor?

Aww... found the video. No button press needed, but still need swipe:

There may be a software hack to detect the magnet and bypass the swipe.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-31-2012 at 06:41 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's an Android thing. Android was designed for phones first. Believe me if you own a Android phone you know all about pocket dialing. The slide thing is necessary. You can still pocket dial if you put the phone in your pocket before it locks. This is why I use the app Call Confirm on all our phones, It keeps you from pocket dialing someone. My hubby once pocket dial his folks at 3AM and it scared them that something was wrong. After that Call Confirm has saved us from many embarrassing moments.
Not to split hairs, Blossom, and believe me, I'm no Apple fanboy, but I think it was an "iphone thing" before it was "an Android thing". The iphone came out over a year before the first Android phone.
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
It's to prevent the new-age version of "butt dialing".
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
Not to split hairs, Blossom, and believe me, I'm no Apple fanboy, but I think it was an "iphone thing" before it was "an Android thing". The iphone came out over a year before the first Android phone.
So you have to swipe too on a Iphone to unlock it? I've never seen one so I have no idea.

As for it's Android thing, I was explaining why the Kindle Fire has a swipe to unlock. It's part of the Android o/s which was originally design for phones not tablets not that Android was the first to come up with the idea. It isn't something Amazon put it there but it's something all Android users have to deal with.

Last edited by Blossom; 07-31-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:28 AM   #14
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
slide, swipe...
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:29 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
So you have to swipe too on a Iphone to unlock it? I've never seen one so I have no idea.
Yes, you do. One interesting enhancement to it on Android, which I like, is that you can make the swipe a pattern on a "join the dots" grid, and use that as the "password" to unlock the device. That works very well, I think.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote