Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #1
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
M92 for 2-column PDF and annotation

Hi, I currently read PDFs on my tablet (Asus TF 101). To ease the eye strain, I am thinking to get a Onyx M92 for PDF reading. Can anyone tell me the experience of reading 2-column PDF files and making annotations on M92? Thanks.

Last edited by pj123; 04-25-2012 at 02:10 PM.
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
Can I suggest you add a more descriptive title?

Also, most of your questions were answered in other threads already. It does not seem like you did some research on your own at all.

Reading 2-column PDF files:
It does definitely work; you have the option to cut margins such that the text is enlarged. Also, there is something called "2-point-zoom", which allows you to zoom into a specific part of your PDF (and maybe cut the header or the footer of your document away, if you don't need them). In the future "column reading" is supposed to be implemented, as far as I remember. That would allow you to read your document column-wise (top left, bottom left, top right, bottom right, next page).

Annotations:
Right now, I would not use the device for annotations. It simply is not as fluent and quick as you would expect if you were to work on your computer or with paper. However, some users here seem to use it and the firmware is actively developed to improve this part. Again, you should check other threads in this forum for that.
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
por
Groupie
por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: ONYX M96
There are several crucial bugs regarding annotations. If they are dealt with in the coming updates, the device would become something at what the elusive "Noteslate" project is aiming at (with respect to it's note-taking capabilities, of course)
por is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
initx
Enthusiast
initx began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nokia Lumia 800
Hi All. I have been using the device now for 3 weeks, having read lots of articles (also 2 columns) and hundreds of pages from scientific books. (Economics, statistics, finance, and also history, archaeology, semitic studies - my major fields.) I always do a lot of annotations during my readings.

I also started to use my M92 as a notebook. That is, I have created 50 pages long empty PDFs (with page numbers only), and I make notes with the pen. When I am ready, I just export the scribblings and the device creates a new PDF with the current date.

The device is superior. Reading 2 column articles is a joy. Making scribblings is a joy. Using as a notebook is a joy. I love this device so much that I have completely stopped using any papers. If I have to read a paper-based book, I rather scan the whole thing, copy to the M92 in PDF and read in on the device.

Yes, the device makes some mistakes sometimes, but they can be corrected. Build quality is superior, the software is quite good now. I definitely recommend this device.
initx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
por
Groupie
por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: ONYX M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by initx View Post
Hi All. I have been using the device now for 3 weeks, having read lots of articles (also 2 columns) and hundreds of pages from scientific books. (Economics, statistics, finance, and also history, archaeology, semitic studies - my major fields.) I always do a lot of annotations during my readings.

I also started to use my M92 as a notebook. That is, I have created 50 pages long empty PDFs (with page numbers only), and I make notes with the pen. When I am ready, I just export the scribblings and the device creates a new PDF with the current date.

The device is superior. Reading 2 column articles is a joy. Making scribblings is a joy. Using as a notebook is a joy. I love this device so much that I have completely stopped using any papers. If I have to read a paper-based book, I rather scan the whole thing, copy to the M92 in PDF and read in on the device.

Yes, the device makes some mistakes sometimes, but they can be corrected. Build quality is superior, the software is quite good now. I definitely recommend this device.
Yes, it's shaping up to be quite an impressive device
por is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
Thank you all for sharing your experience with me. I really appreciate your help. I am now seriously considering getting one. Thank you.
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
LovePlanetEarth
Connoisseur
LovePlanetEarth began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 Black (Finally!!!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSSM View Post
Can I suggest you add a more descriptive title?

Title "M92?" doesn't mean a thing!! Just a waste of our, readers, time!

pj123, could you PLEASE change the title!
LovePlanetEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
konrad white
Enthusiast
konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS 950, Onyx M92, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura One
In the future "column reading" is supposed to be implemented, as far as I remember. That would allow you to read your document column-wise (top left, bottom left, top right, bottom right, next page).
______
Good news
konrad white is offline   Reply With Quote