Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
Wi-Fi log in browser

Some public wi-fi hotspots at popular places like Starbucks require log-in thru browser before access is permitted.

The Sony PRS 950 can't seem to log on to these Wi-Fi hotspots.

The result when the browser launches is "The page cannot be displayed"

Is anyone else having this problem?

Last edited by jessie102; 12-25-2010 at 12:43 PM.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Hi, jessie102. Here are some of my experiences. I have been able to connect at all of the hotspots that I have used, although sometimes the messages have been confusing. In general, first you need to connect to the Wi-fi hotspot. Sometimes it will auto-launch the browser after a connection is established, and sometimes you need to manually open the browser window. If you get an error like the page cannot be displayed, then try a URL like google from the 950 Home page and see if it redirects to the site terms.

I haven't tried Starbucks yet, but McDonalds worked fine. I can't remember if I had to agree to any user terms.

I was able to connect very easily at an airport. I connected to their Wi-fi, and then the 950 launched the web browser straight to the T&C page. All connections should be this smooth! Unfortunately they aren't...

At one hotel it connected to the Wi-fi fine. Then I had to open the web browser manually to get to the hotel T&C page.

At another hotel it appeared not to connect. I got an error message that said "Cannot confirm connection to either the internet or Reader Store. Please check the following: 1) The connection settings between the device and the wireless router. 2) The wireless network is running properly". Then it said "Invalid Configuration" under the wireless ID in the network list. I thought that meant this hotel just wasn't going to work. But, I decided to manually launch the browser anyway. I was surprised to find that it redirected to the hotel T&C site. I checked the agreement box, and it connected fine. Then I went back to the wireless settings page, and "Invalid Configuration" had changed to "Connected". Weird!

I have never had any issues with my home network (WPA2). I was able to successfully connect to a friend's home network which has a Verizon router (WEP).

In summary, I have been able to connect 100% of the time, but the process has been varied and certainly not flawless.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert