Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
JayLaFunk
Connoisseur
JayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
iBooks Limit

Hi,

Hope to receive my iPad this week

Is there a limit of how many books you can have in the iBooks app before it starts to slow up...

How many books do you have on your iPad ?

Jay
JayLaFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
I have about 390 books loaded. When you open iBooks, it takes about 3-4 seconds for the list to appear, and scrolling the list is a little sluggish. Doesn't seem to have any negative effects when you are reading a book.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
I have about 80 books loaded so far; seems to be about a 3-5 second loading delay when using the bookshelf view, but no delay when only viewing as a list.

My bigger issue with the iBooks app - and I'm really interested to see if anyone else has noticed this & can provide an explanation - is this: books in the iTunes library have MUCH smaller file sizes than when loaded on the iPad. For example: Book "A", in iTunes library is 200KB. However, when loaded to my iPad, it is now 1MB.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I have about 80 books loaded so far; seems to be about a 3-5 second loading delay when using the bookshelf view, but no delay when only viewing as a list.

My bigger issue with the iBooks app - and I'm really interested to see if anyone else has noticed this & can provide an explanation - is this: books in the iTunes library have MUCH smaller file sizes than when loaded on the iPad. For example: Book "A", in iTunes library is 200KB. However, when loaded to my iPad, it is now 1MB.
That is odd. I don't have my Mac handy, but is it storing the cover separately?

(And I have under 100 books, and..3-4 second delay as well-I'm hoping this is a 1.0 issue, as it is weird to have it open up to an empty bookshelf every time...or I'll do what scottj does and just go to list view)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
JayLaFunk
Connoisseur
JayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Thanks for the replies...

Think I'll limit my library to 40-50 books then replace when read, the bookshelf looks good when showing off to people but don't want them saying "Oh why is it so slow" and hope the 3-4 sec delay is fixed in a new FW...

Jay
JayLaFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
That is odd. I don't have my Mac handy, but is it storing the cover separately?

(And I have under 100 books, and..3-4 second delay as well-I'm hoping this is a 1.0 issue, as it is weird to have it open up to an empty bookshelf every time...or I'll do what scottj does and just go to list view)
I can't imagine that the cover would balloon the file size by a factor of 5, would it? The cover is in the file loaded in my iTunes library, so I have to believe that something is going on during the transfer from iTunes library to the iPad. I too am hoping that this is 1.0 issue - OS 4.0 will be interesting!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i've got slightly over 500.. i keep it in list view and not the bookcase view. pretty zippy for me.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
I can't imagine that the cover would balloon the file size by a factor of 5, would it? The cover is in the file loaded in my iTunes library, so I have to believe that something is going on during the transfer from iTunes library to the iPad. I too am hoping that this is 1.0 issue - OS 4.0 will be interesting!
That would be a huge cover image
Although I'm kinda embarrassed that the Typefaces in iBooks epub I uploaded here was 50K with a cover...and only 5K before I added the cover
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Mine are 650MB in iTunes, but almost 2GB on the iPad.
ePub is a zipped format, so my guess would be that the transfer process unzips the files to make processing on the iPad faster.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #10
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
epubs for iBooks are stored in /private/var/mobile/Media/Books on the iPad and are all uncompressed. in addition to the book files there are some metadata files for each book as well (last page, bookmarks, index, etc.)

my books take up about 966M of disk space (checking from the unix shell, not in itunes).

Last edited by scottjl; 05-25-2010 at 03:15 PM.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote