Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
QofResh
Enthusiast
QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Touch; Android Tablet (Asus TF300); PC App
Time to Read....accurately?

Have any PW owners tested the Time to Read funcionality for accuracy? I realize that the device will require a sufficient sampling of the users reading patterns to produce such accuracy as it is capable of. However, it has been in the hands of consumers long enough that avid readers, if they are insterested in doing so, surely could draw preliminary conclusions.

Other Questions:

Does the feature measure your general reading rate or the particular rate at which you are progressing through each books, specifically and separately?

What happens if you simply leave the device on a page with the cover open? Does it get inaccurate data as a result?

In the same vain, what is the result of flipping forward through a book to find a specific place? Does it interpret those forward flips as the page having been read? (I do remember reading that it disregards inadvertant page flips (or something like that). Is this scenario handled the same way?

Since I've owned mine I've reset to factory defaults twice, such that I have probably not generated enough data to accurate comment on the core question myself.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input!

Last edited by QofResh; 10-11-2012 at 05:44 PM.
QofResh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by QofResh View Post
Does the feature measure your general reading rate or the particular rate at which you are progressing through each books, specifically and separately?

What happens if you simply leave the device on a page with the cover open? Does it get inaccurate data as a result?

In the same vain, what is the result of flipping forward through a book to find a specific place? Does it interpret those forward flips as the page having been read? (I do remember reading that it disregards inadvertant page flips (or something like that). Is this scenario handled the same way?
In a very casual way, I think:

- The rate is book specific. I have been skimming through some large PDF files and the estimate for time left became extremely short (less than 1 min for 300 pages left), presumably because I flipped through 500-600 pages looking for specific passages. It did NOT affect estimates for other books.

- With the cover open and not in standby? I don't know.

- See my first point for quick flips.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I am still trying to figure out the usefulness of this feature. I can only see this being useful if I was planning on finishing the book at one sitting without any interruptions. I don't know, I wish they would have used that space for something better.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Precise measure or not, reading is not a precise function. You're going to be disappointed if you take more time thank your previous default or you are going to blame the inaccurate device, but the only certainty you have is: you're not going to read that pages in that prefixed time.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
QofResh
Enthusiast
QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I am still trying to figure out the usefulness of this feature. I can only see this being useful if I was planning on finishing the book at one sitting without any interruptions. I don't know, I wish they would have used that space for something better.
Well, as a graduate student I can picture it as potentially quite useful depending on whether or not it actually works. It would be kind of nice to look and know at a glance how much time I need to set aside for that reading assignment.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Well, as a graduate student I can picture it as potentially quite useful depending on whether or not it actually works. It would be kind of nice to look and know at a glance how much time I need to set aside for that reading assignment.
Again, if there are not any distractions and you read at the same pace, maybe I see a little bit. That would be the only time I would put a clock on reading. But, if you have to take longer to study a page, or go back to a different page to look something up, the whole timing would be off.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
QofResh
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
Precise measure or not, reading is not a precise function. You're going to be disappointed if you take more time thank your previous default or you are going to blame the inaccurate device, but the only certainty you have is: you're not going to read that pages in that prefixed time.
Perhaps precision is the wrong term afterall. I am interested in this feature if it gives me a good estimate. I realize that I probably read fiction at one rate, theology at another, and other genres at still another. It is enough for me if the PW is accurate enough to notice the approximate it time it take me to get through a page/set of locations while taking into account the idiosyncrisies I bring into that particular genre, i.e. stopping for a few minutes to think through a concept with its implications, then predictively forecase that into an estimate time till completion within an acceptable range.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
I've found it to be very accurate when I'm reading fiction.

For school-related assignments it is less so, but I feel that is because I tend to get more distracted and/or have to spend more time on certain pages. For these dense papers, I have to read a few pages first for the metric to present a reasonable number.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #9
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I find it to be accurate. I appreciate the feature. At first it was not accurate but over time it settled down and seems to be right.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #10
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Something better? Like... I don't know... PAGE NUMBERS?
I am flabbergasted that they still won't let us see page numbers without tabbing out.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
QofResh
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Something better? Like... I don't know... PAGE NUMBERS?
I am flabbergasted that they still won't let us see page numbers without tabbing out.
I would love to have page numbers available in all books and at a glance. To do so they'd have to simulate them somehow, rather than borrow them from print books.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
vxf
Guru

Quote:
I would love to have page numbers available in all books and at a glance. To do so they'd have to simulate them somehow, rather than borrow them from print books.
Well, ya.... but many books have page numbers. On many books, you can view the page number under the menu, but not while reading...

I am not asking for them to generate page numbers for all books. But at least allow display of page number for the books for which they have them already...
Old 10-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #13
QofResh
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I am not asking for them to generate page numbers for all books. But at least allow display of page number for the books for which they have them already...

I want that too. And I want what I want too too.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
I love this feature. There is a book I am dying to finish, but want to do it in one sitting without any interruptions. Knowing that it will take me 4.5 hours allows me to plan my reading session (weekend). You also see time left to finish chapter. It's awesome. Stay awake 3 more minutes to get to the end of the chapter.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:39 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Awe" is a feeling of reverential wonder or dread. Is this really the feeling that knowing how long it's going to take you to finish the chapter of a book inspires in you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote