Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-08-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

ZappTek: Here come the iPhone/iPod Touch eBook Readers

ZappTek has announced their entry into the game. From the press release:

Quote:
Each book displays as an icon on the Home screen. Users will appreciate how books automatically remember where they've left off, particularly when changing songs or even answering the phone. Any page may be easily bookmarked to revisit later, or make notes on any page.
This suggests to me that each book is sold as an individual app through the App store...if so, that seems like a pretty backward way of doing it, though it does solve the 'how do I get it on my device' question. Still, the implied lack of real library management makes this little more than a curious experiment.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeister0 View Post
ZappTek has announced their entry into the game. From the press release:
The links don't display as given. Edit the post and take out the leading "http://".
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
You can see TUAW's writeup here:

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/07/08/legen...nd-ipod-touch/
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
The links don't display as given. Edit the post and take out the leading "http://".
______
Dennis
Fixed.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
Okay, here's the thing that phone/palm/iPod readers aren't taking into account: E-ink displays. The reason I hate reading e-books on a computer/phone/palm/iPod is that stupid backlit screen. E-book readers with E-ink displays are easier on the eyes and for me at least, make for a more pleasant reading experience. I have both a Blackberry 8830 and an Ipaq 1910 (I also had a Jornada at one point), and used them as e-readers for as long as I could stand it. In my opinion, the convenience of the small reader made for an inconvenient read, plus the backlit display was tiresome.

I don't think the iPhone will hurt the dedicated E-reader market at all. If anything I think people might catch a book on an iPhone and then later decide to try out an e-reader like the Sony, Kindle, or Iliad. Once they do, I doubt they'd go back. But each to his own.

It's just that every discussion I've seen about E-readers vs iPhones didn't really take into account the e-ink screen, which is what brought me over to the "e-side" from paper books.
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sure we take e-ink into account... plenty of others on this forum swear by it. But there are also plenty of us who are perfectly comfortable reading smaller screens and LCD screens, and would be perfectly happy with smaller devices.

Obviously, an iPhone is not the reader for you... and that's cool. But there are still a lot of us who see the value in iPhone readers (or, at least, their potential). Hey, e-ink ain't even got color yet!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I like the idea of being able to load books on the iPhone simply because I always have that with me whereas, due to its size, I don't always have my Sony 505 at hand. Anytime I think there is the remotest chance I'll have a reading opportunity, I have my Sony with me. But, you can't always anticipate so having a book on the iPhone would be handy
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaggisMacJedi View Post
Okay, here's the thing that phone/palm/iPod readers aren't taking into account: E-ink displays. The reason I hate reading e-books on a computer/phone/palm/iPod is that stupid backlit screen. E-book readers with E-ink displays are easier on the eyes and for me at least, make for a more pleasant reading experience.

<...>

It's just that every discussion I've seen about E-readers vs iPhones didn't really take into account the e-ink screen, which is what brought me over to the "e-side" from paper books.
I have taken it into account.

I need color, which eInk doesn't currently support, and a device that does other things besides display ebooks. So my reader of choice is a Palm OS PDA, which will let me turn off the backlight entirely in bright light conditions. I'm quite comfortable reading on it.

And I don't see eBook viewer software for the iPhone hurting dedicated readers sales either. The iPhone is as much fashion accessory as cell phone, and having ebook solutions for it simply increases the potential ebook market. As you mention, once they've gotten accustomed to reading on a handheld, they may well be seduced by the eInk side of the Force.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 07-08-2008 at 05:14 PM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #9
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaggisMacJedi View Post
Okay, here's the thing that phone/palm/iPod readers aren't taking into account: E-ink displays. ...
I disagree. Not that I don't think eInk displays are nice and useful, but I disagree that they have not been taken into account. There are several threads here where this has been discussed at great length. EInk is a great benefit to lots of people like yourself that do not like reading on an LCD for long sessions. For other people, however, the current crop of ebook readers is limited in some form or function.

For some, they are not portable enough, and that group seems to be looking at the Readius with great hope.

Others are looking for some combination of functionality the current crop of eInk readers has not yet provided, or at least not at a price most people are willing to pay. Many here like the additional functionality of the iRex, for instance, but will not pay what iRex is asking, even with the new lower price version.

Some are looking for a solution that eInk is not intended to fit, at least not yet. The ability to display animations or even video, for instance, which would be useful in some text books. Built-in, on-demand lighting is another feature many would like, but does not seem to be easy to do, from the offerings we have seen. Some people want a converged device, like an iPhone.

Books have come in multiple editions and formats (hard cover, paper back, large print, braille, audio, serialized in magazines, expurgated, even the Reader's Digest editions) for many years. Why is it a surprise that ebook readers would not be a one-size-fits-all solution?

Jack

P.S. Just for the record, I like eInk. I had a Sony Reader. It was not a good fit for my reading habits.

P.P.S. Wow... None of the other responses were there when I started typing. This post seems redundant now.

Last edited by Jack B Nimble; 07-08-2008 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Added P.P.S.
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:18 PM   #10
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
an all in one gadget has its appeal
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:17 PM   #11
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I want to be able to load all the SAME books on my (soon to be) iPhone, as I have on my Kindle. That way, if I am somewhere and don't have my Kindle with me, I can pull out the iPhone and continue reading the same book.

So this would require having a mobireader program on the iPhone -- not just some reader that deals with only txt or rtf.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #12
stanza
stanza doesn't litterstanza doesn't litter

Device: iPhone
Note that Lexcycle Stanza (http://iphone.lexcycle.com) will also be available on the Apple App Store. It will allow you to choose from a vast online library of free books, or else sync your books from Stanza Desktop, so you can have your books in any of the formats that Stanza Desktop supports (including doc, mobipocket, kindle, etc).
stanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #13
Ceili
well, that didn't work
Ceili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
I think if someone wants to read on their i-device, this will make it a lot easier, and for that I'm happy for them Personally, while I learned to accept reading on my old Axim x50v, I can't compare it to reading on my kindle.

Either way, there's more than enough room for folks to read on whatever device makes them happy.... though I would wish for one format=many/all devices.... just to get past the this book for that reader, that book for the other one, etc.
Ceili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:52 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I want to be able to load all the SAME books on my (soon to be) iPhone, as I have on my Kindle. That way, if I am somewhere and don't have my Kindle with me, I can pull out the iPhone and continue reading the same book.

So this would require having a mobireader program on the iPhone -- not just some reader that deals with only txt or rtf.
Mobi have announced that they are developing a version of the Mobi Reader for the iPhone/iPod Touch.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:32 AM   #15
Ebook lover
NUUT, Cybook Device
Ebook lover began at the beginning.

Device: O2
What format does it support?
Ebook lover is offline   Reply With Quote