Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
lena_punkt
lena_punkt began at the beginning.

Device: N516 (OpenInkpot)
GUI-less usage of calibre (especially rss-download)

Hey there,
I wonder if it is possible to use calibres rss-download-feature without the gui via some shell-scripts.

The reason: I own a small plug-pc (like sheevaplug) without graphics card, but it has some usb ports. It is primarily a file server (linux), but I'd like to also use it for downloading RSS news and converting it to epub. I want to plug the reader into the server in the morning for some minutes so that I am able to read the news in the train without the need to switch my PC on. Copying the files and starting some scripts is no problem, but I don't have an X server running ;D.

Greetings,
Lena
lena_punkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by lena_punkt View Post
I wonder if it is possible to use calibres rss-download-feature without the gui via some shell-scripts.
Yes, but you need Calibre installed. A cron job running:
Code:
ebook-convert title.recipe output.epub
will do it.

Quote:
The reason: I own a small plug-pc (like sheevaplug) without
There are several threads on this, including one on a headless sheevaplug. Searching for "sheevaplug" should find it. I vaguely recall one user having some difficulty, but eventually succeeding.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 03:40 AM   #3
lena_punkt

Wow, thank you . I knew how to convert to epub on the console, but not that downloading rss is that easy, too!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by lena_punkt View Post
Wow, thank you . I knew how to convert to epub on the console, but not that downloading rss is that easy, too!
You're welcome. It is amazingly easy, isn't it!
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:58 AM   #5
lena_punkt

Okay, I first thought it would really be simple, but it isn't: At least with Gentoo, calibre wants X and Qt4 to be installed, but I do not have any reason for having X and Qt4 installed (not even space for it).

Is it possible to get rss-download-functionality without installing X or Qt4? Does anybody have calibre installed without X? If so, I would try to tune the ebuilds (Gentoos installation scripts) to force install without X, but it means half a day of work I suppose (because i'm not familiar with the scripts), so I don't want to try it without knowing it could work...

EDIT: Trying to install calibre says 350MiBytes of downloads, where 80% is X and Qt4.

Last edited by lena_punkt; 09-09-2010 at 04:10 AM.
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 05:57 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
My understanding is that calibre requires Qt, and Qt requires X, and so on. If you really don't have space, then you are out of luck.

If you have space, I think that you can use xvfb to solve the problem of having no graphics hardware. I haven't tried it, though.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #7
lena_punkt

Yes, thats right. I know I could use xvfb to workaround this, but the point is that I never need X - even for calibre. ebook-convert works fine without X (tried it at my PC), and I can create the recipes with another PC and just copy them to the plugpc.

The reason why I'm using Gentoo is to just install what really is needed. In fact I want to compress the whole system into 256MB of flash at the end (internal flash of Seagate DockStar), and this won't work with X, so it is not an option...
Old 09-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You shouldn't need X if all you're doing is fetching news.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #9
lena_punkt

A closer look offered that it does not install the X server, but many X-libs. Qt is still in the dependency tree. There is no way to avoid it?
Old 09-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you can't avoid Qt
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #11
lena_punkt

Okay, now i got it working. Some problems still persist, which is:

Calibre starts several threads to download a recipe. This is very nice if you do not have to worry about RAM because it speeds everything up, but i do have to (only 128MB, slow swap on USB-Flash). It effectively slows down the process enormously (takes about 20 minutes for some daily news). Is it possible to tell calibre not to use so many threads? One would be enough in this case, then RAM would suffice (and speed everything up ).

Thanks,
Lena

EDIT: I found a setting within the desktop version which affects it - but i do not have a GUI on the device. Where can I find the setting, using command-line tools?

Last edited by lena_punkt; 09-17-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:16 AM   #12
lena_punkt

Okay, I found it and want to share my solution with others who might have the same problems:

You can set the variable "simultaneous_downloads" within a recipe to 1. Maybe you need to add it. example:

Code:
from calibre.web.feeds.news import BasicNewsRecipe

class BasicUserRecipe1257093186(BasicNewsRecipe):
    title          = u'Blogs'
    oldest_article = 14
    language = 'de'
    no_stylesheets = True
    max_articles_per_feed = 100
    remove_tags = [dict(id=['respond', 'ackt', 'nav', 'commentblock',
        'l_sidebar', 'r_sidebar']), dict(attrs={'class':['widgettitle',
            'bt-links', 'navigation']})]

feeds          = [(u'Hagen - DerWesten', u'http://www.derwesten.de/staedte/hagen/rss'), (u'Tagesschau', u'http://www.tagesschau.de/xml/rss2')]
    multithreaded_fetch = False
    simultaneous_downloads = 1
It did not help that much with the RAM problem, but seems a bit faster on my machine.

Last edited by lena_punkt; 09-17-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #13
tinti
tinti began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
maybe you could also share your final solution for having calibre running on your sheevaplug.
I would also like to have calibre running on my sheevaplug, but am stuck at compiling qt on that device
tinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #14
lena_punkt

Hum, I would not call it a very good solution. It was not possible to run calibre without Qt, so I compiled it with Qt. My initial problem was flash usage: I wanted to install everything on a small USB Stick. Since I do not own a Sheevaplug (but a Seagate DockStar, which is in fact a docking station for Harddisks) i chose to buy a Seagate harddisk and install the system on that drive.

Since it would take some time (probably several days or because of low RAM [128MB] even weeks) to compile Qt on the device itself, I chose to use distcc (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/distcc.xml) and effectively compile it on my desktop machine.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:57 AM   #15
usuario74
usuario74 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3rd gen
I just did a search for Sheevaplug and only could find one thread where it was mentioned but no practical or detailed information as how to do it!
Anyone knows howto achive running calibre on a Sheevaplug without GUI here?
Maybe I should search for running CLI Calibre on linux.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
There are several threads on this, including one on a headless sheevaplug. Searching for "sheevaplug" should find it. I vaguely recall one user having some difficulty, but eventually succeeding.
usuario74 is offline   Reply With Quote