Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Is the daily edition any good and why isn't it available in the EU?

Just wondering on these two points. The aspect ratio is strange on the daily edition. I was wondering if it does help at all in ebook reading with the extra screen real estate. How come sony chose this elongated format?
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Compared to the 505 it does help a lot.
Even touchscreen has it's good points.
But the PRS-950 should be even better

No idea why they don't sell the 900/950 outside the US.
You need to use to service like usunlocked to get it.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Does the 900/950 have 3G? If so, perhaps Sony doesn't have a contract for service providers to offer 3G service outside the US.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Yes, the daily edition has 3G built in. I suspect that they did in the hopes of being a Kindle Killer, but I don't think it has ever taken off in the United States, so they don't see a need to export it to other markets until it does.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
harryE123
Banned

I guess I am in the minority who'd like to browse the web on e-ink, or more accurately read web material such as articles and blogs. I still can't get over the fact that sony don't have wifi in the 650 and the 950 as such a strange aspect ratio. How hard would it be for sony to come up with a proper (so to speak) aspect ration 7" device?

My hunch is that some misguided exec or engineer suggested that that particular aspect ratio would lend itself well to landscape viewing in 1/3s of a4 pdfs since they wouldn't go in the 9.7" market. Which of course this to me is a very poor decision but very typical of sony nowadays (and the tech world in general), and now instead of the device being able to do at least one thing well, namely read slightly larger sentences and book formats, it does both things badly.

It doesn't offer the real estate for a larger paperback novel and can't really display an a4 pdf in any decent way... Way to shoot yourselves in the foot sony.
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryE123 View Post
I guess I am in the minority who'd like to browse the web on e-ink, or more accurately read web material such as articles and blogs. I still can't get over the fact that sony don't have wifi in the 650 and the 950 as such a strange aspect ratio. How hard would it be for sony to come up with a proper (so to speak) aspect ration 7" device?

My hunch is that some misguided exec or engineer suggested that that particular aspect ratio would lend itself well to landscape viewing in 1/3s of a4 pdfs since they wouldn't go in the 9.7" market. Which of course this to me is a very poor decision but very typical of sony nowadays (and the tech world in general), and now instead of the device being able to do at least one thing well, namely read slightly larger sentences and book formats, it does both things badly.

It doesn't offer the real estate for a larger paperback novel and can't really display an a4 pdf in any decent way... Way to shoot yourselves in the foot sony.
The 900 had 3G but you were restricted in what you could access. As I recall you could only browse the Sony Reader Store. So even though they included 3G it was not an open browser like the Kindles have. I own two Kindles and the browser via eInk is pretty lackluster IMHO. People need to remember these are dedicated reader devices and NOT iPad like devices. Their main purpose is reading text.

My 900 had a better screen than the 600, but it was still tiring to my eyes for extended reading due to the glare. If in the newer 950 Sony has truly done away with the glare, and it seems they have based on comments about the 350 and 650 I've read, then the 950 should be a nice reader. However I believe it and the other new Sonys are overpriced, but then everything Sony makes seems to be overpriced.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:34 AM   #7
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
The daily edition name tells it all. The reason why it's only in the US is that Sony for now can only publish digital newspaper in the US. The 3G and wifi feature is to update your device with the daily news stand in digital format. Currently the reader library only offers American newspaper and magazine.

The reason why Amazon is pushing 3G heavily is because they already have a head start in the game offering thousands of magazines and newspaper subscription services from around the world. Check out their library and compare to the sony library and you will see that Sony has got a lot of catching up to do.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:47 AM   #8
harryE123
Banned

But you can still buy one from the u.s. and use it in europe for books, right?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:47 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The reason it's only available in North America is quite simply that its 3G can only be used to connect to the Sony Store, and the Sony Store is only available to people in North America.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
perost
Enthusiast
perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryE123 View Post
But you can still buy one from the u.s. and use it in europe for books, right?
Yes, but you can not use the 3G outside of the U.S. But otherwise it works just like Sonys other readers.
perost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #11
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I like the extra size of my PRS-900 (over my old 505) and I love the touchscreen interface (excepting the reduction of clarity) but I still think the aspect ration is odd. I'd prefer an extra inch or so of width.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote