Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #16
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Wow, thanks for the information!

I feel very fortunate to have access to Seattle's library system, it's great!

One more to add to the list: Oregon Digital Library Consortium - 6003 ePUB titles, and 1043 PDF. I know there is some overlap between the two formats, but the majority of titles seem to be limited to one format or the other.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #17
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Surrey, UK : 411
Can't get too excited about ebook borrowing yet.
Henderson, NV ---> 49!

But I'm still excited. It's a start and better than the zero we previously had. And they are almost all popular best-sellers as opposed to obscure books.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #18
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
This is a fabulous amount of work. Thank you.

My only reminder would be that numbers aren't everything. Every library's selection is slightly different, and so is their traffic. I have cards for both Buffalo and New York.
You're welcome. Yes, numbers can be deceptive and that's why I try to count unique titles. I figure 30 titles (one format) is better than 10 (3 formats). And I noticed many libraries had large non-fiction books which may not appeal to everyone. Also, saw lots of romances but I figure it shows the libraries are willing to utilize new technology and open to suggested titles when requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
Any DC area residents?

So, let's say I'm considering the non-resident Washington D.C. library card option...which location is typically most convenient for someone coming from out of town? I don't know whether I would take the train up (6 hrs but puts me at Union Station) or drive (4.5 or 5 hrs but have to deal with traffic and not knowing where I'm going!). I'd be coming up I-95 from North Carolina... Any suggestions?
Sorry, I must correct Washington DC's numbers. I forgot to adjust for multiple formats. DC library has many mobi versions. Another option is the Virginia Beach library, if it's closer, they have 4999 titles with 4365 being fiction for $35 annual fee walk-in only. I'll have to add VB to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Wow, thanks for the information!

I feel very fortunate to have access to Seattle's library system, it's great!

One more to add to the list: Oregon Digital Library Consortium - 6003 ePUB titles, and 1043 PDF. I know there is some overlap between the two formats, but the majority of titles seem to be limited to one format or the other.
Washington County Oregon is part of the Consortium. I listed it as a poster uses it here.
Seattle has a nice set-up. Many of their new titles are offered in multiple formats too. I had to adjust their numbers down considerably. For mobi users it's very good.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #19
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Charlotte (NC) ..................... $45 [322 titles]

Yikes!
Three guesses where I live! For such a large area we have a very very small online collection. With the amount of taxes we pay, wonder where that money is going?? Obviously not for books.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #20
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Updated already. I was surprised how many e-books were available in some smaller cities. And yet large ones had few or no ebooks at all. Atlanta hasnt started Overdrive yet but is planned. And North Carolina evidently has severe budget problem and has relatively few on offer.

Want to add that most libraries offer non-residents a library card with annual fee. Downside is that you have to be present with acceptable ID. If you go vacation regularly to the same area you may inquire about joining if they have a large and growing collection of e-books. Some fees are modest.

Last edited by Fbone; 08-03-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 07:17 PM   #21
Tinks
Zealot
Tinks doesn't litterTinks doesn't litter

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I was surprised how many e-books were available in some smaller cities. And yet large ones had few or no ebooks at all.
I know. One of the cities I have a library card in has only one library, but they have 1421 ebooks in Overdrive. Yet another city that I have a library card with has multiple libraries, but doesn't even have Overdrive. They have Netlibrary which is horrible.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #22
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Sorry, I must correct Washington DC's numbers. I forgot to adjust for multiple formats. DC library has many mobi versions. Another option is the Virginia Beach library, if it's closer, they have 4999 titles with 4365 being fiction for $35 annual fee walk-in only. I'll have to add VB to the list.
Hmm..interesting, thanks. Might be a weekend trip coming up.

Yeah, my library only has 154 titles, but that is 154 more than they had last week! It'll be interesting to see how quickly they add titles. Is it common for most libraries with a decent collection to add books weekly or monthly?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #23
zooby
zooby will become famous soon enoughzooby will become famous soon enoughzooby will become famous soon enoughzooby will become famous soon enoughzooby will become famous soon enoughzooby will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle keyboard, kindle voyage, kindle oasis
Glasgow - 0
zooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #24
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
The Tennessee statewide system has 5,239 titles in PDF, 1,361 titles in EPUB, 6,880 audiobooks in WMA and 669 audiobooks in MP3 format. I remember barely a year ago when they first started adding EPUB books and they had around 75 or so. I had more EPUB books in my collection than they did! Obviously that statement is no longer true.

Fortunately, my local library is part of the statewide system, which is called Regional Ebook and Audiobook Download System (READS), which I thought was a rather clever name. I don't believe they accept non-resident applications, but if you live in Tennessee you might want to check if your library participates.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #25
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Dixon, IL - 2 Does this equal hall of shame??
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #26
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Interesting note, if you live in anywhere in Ohio you can apply for a Columbus Metropolitan Library card. If you apply online the card is only good for online resources.

Columbus Metropolitan Library

Edit: I got the card, but found out you still need to stop in at one of the branch libraries to validate the card .... kinda meh... when you live 100+ miles away.

Last edited by carld; 08-10-2010 at 11:42 AM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:44 AM   #27
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
Wow, thanks so much for posting this. I've just recently sent my $15 to the Philadelphia library, I wondered if there were others who allowed non-residents to apply. That $125 for Orange County is a little steep, they must not want very many people to apply for that!
Isn't unheard of. I've been checking into this since I live in an area without a library, so trying to sign up for ones that accept out of area members. NYPL I know used to be $100 a year. St Charles County Missouri is $80 and St Louis County Missouri is $50.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:24 AM   #28
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
The Tennessee statewide system has 5,239 titles in PDF, 1,361 titles in EPUB, 6,880 audiobooks in WMA and 669 audiobooks in MP3 format. I remember barely a year ago when they first started adding EPUB books and they had around 75 or so. I had more EPUB books in my collection than they did! Obviously that statement is no longer true.

Fortunately, my local library is part of the statewide system, which is called Regional Ebook and Audiobook Download System (READS), which I thought was a rather clever name. I don't believe they accept non-resident applications, but if you live in Tennessee you might want to check if your library participates.

SteveK
Thanks, Steve. Earlier I had looked at Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville and Chattanooga and none of them are part of READS. Only Nashville has e-books and a good amount with 2143 titles.
I looked at Gatlinburg and they are part of READS with 6532 unique titles so I'll have to somehow add READS to my list.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:07 AM   #29
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
This is some excellent information. Fbone, would you mind adding it to the Wiki or if one of us added it to it? We have a page dedicated to e-book lending libraries:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:15 AM   #30
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
This is some excellent information. Fbone, would you mind adding it to the Wiki or if one of us added it to it? We have a page dedicated to e-book lending libraries:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
Fbone and Alexander...I'd be willing to help with this also. I just created an account for the wiki the other day to add the NC - Wake County entry to the list.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote