Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Email from Amazon about the Kindle Cover

I find it kinda odd but I bet there are a ton of people cracking their new kindles...

Quote:
Dear Kindle User,

We’re sending this note to remind you about proper attachment and use of your Kindle cover and about Amazon’s Kindle warranty. You can view instructions and illustrations here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200390460

ATTACHING THE COVER
To install the Kindle, open the cover and lay it on a flat surface. Then insert the bottom attachment hook on the cover into the bottom slot on the left edge of the Kindle. Rotate the Kindle to insert the top attachment hook. Then slide the switch down slightly to lock the cover attachment hooks in place.

Be sure to place the Kindle flat on the cover during installation. Do not tip the Kindle at an angle during installation, as that may cause the cover attachment hooks to bend.

USING THE KINDLE COVER
When using your Kindle with the cover, be careful to open the front cover only. If you open the back cover and pull the cover away from the Kindle, that may cause the attachment hooks to bend and could result in cracking or other damage to the Kindle.

THE AMAZON KINDLE WARRANTY
Your Kindle is covered by a One-Year Limited Warranty you can view here: http://www.amazon.com/kindlewarranty

If the attachment hooks on your cover have become bent, or your Kindle has developed cracking or other damage near the location where the hooks connect to the Kindle, please contact Kindle Support by phone or email regarding warranty replacement.

You can reach us via phone or e-mail through our website by clicking the Contact Us button on our help pages at http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport or directly by calling one of these numbers:
Inside the United States: 1-866-321-8851, Outside the United States: 1-206-266-0927.

For more information, please see the Warranty Service section of the Kindle Return Policies Help page:
http://www.amazon.com/kindlereturnpolicy

Sincerely,
The Kindle Team
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I received it as well. At first I was confused because I don't use the official cover and thought they were sending this to everyone. Then I remembered I bought one to go with the K2 I purchased for a family member.

I guess they are getting more case crack reports as the K2s that use the official cover get older. Glad I went with M-Edge.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I dont know what the deal is... I take mine out of the case all the time and put it on without any problems. I think the deal is that people forget that you cannot open the case right to left... and they end up bending the spokes and/or breaking the kindle.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Sullivan
Connoisseur
Sullivan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yeah, there must have been an awful lot of complaints or queries over it.

Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
That's exactly what I thought when I got this email earlier today.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
There was a lawsuit about it (that was settled IIRC).

I've only removed my cover twice since getting my K2 on release day (counting today) and I do notice that the top hook is bent upward. AFAIK that's how it's always been, but the email seems to imply that it should be completely straight.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I just bought the m-edge with the fabric loops in the corners. I cringed a little at the high shipping price, but I really don't want to break my Kindle or have to worry when I am using it that the slightest thing will upset a delicate balance going on somewhere and cause a huge problem.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
There has been some unnecessary hand-wringing posted on threads here and other forums concerning the "cracking" issue. I've never experienced any problems, nor have my many colleagues when using the Amazon case.

IMHO, a little common sense and care in handling goes a long way. The front of the cover is clearly labled with a small Amazon badge and is obvious. That said, Amazon has been quite fair in replacing units, if needed.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
woodworthjohnca
woodworthjohnca began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 Global
I have velcro'd the outside back of my (and my wife's) K2 to the back of the cover.
woodworthjohnca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I thought you were saying you velcro'd your wife to your kindle.....

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
Sullivan
Connoisseur
Sullivan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post

IMHO, a little common sense and care in handling goes a long way. The front of the cover is clearly labled with a small Amazon badge and is obvious. That said, Amazon has been quite fair in replacing units, if needed.
Exactly! But I suppose they cannot come out and tell people they cannot even look after there own devices properly!

Fair play to them in replacing so many it seems!
Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I find it kinda odd but I bet there are a ton of people cracking their new kindles...
Hi, rcuadro from Virginia Beach! Tom from Chesapeake here.

I had posted these in an earlier thread, but sewing Velcro straps into the inside upper right corner was my solution at the time to the Amazon Kindle cover problem. It's a moot question for me now, however, as I currently have an Oberon cover that uses leather straps and an elastic band rather than the Amazon locking mechanism.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-23-2010 at 06:33 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #13
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Hi, rcuadro from Virginia Beach! Tom from Chesapeake here.
Wow... local
Old 01-24-2010, 12:02 AM   #14
woodworthjohnca
woodworthjohnca began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 Global
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I thought you were saying you velcro'd your wife to your kindle.....

Actually, at the rate my wife looses things, velcroing her Kindle 2 to her hand might not be a bad idea.
woodworthjohnca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:08 AM   #15
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
There has been some unnecessary hand-wringing posted on threads here and other forums concerning the "cracking" issue. I've never experienced any problems, nor have my many colleagues when using the Amazon case.

I'd generally agree, and with my Kindle, I had no serious issues with this, however it can not be denied that it's an awfully flawed design. It's almost as though they went out of their way to make this issue likely to occur. On several occasions, though it never damaged my kindle or case, my hand slipped or a similar event occurred and the back cover got pulled away from the Kindle. Each time making me cringe, expecting a snap.

There's no excuse for this poor design. With a spine-locked connector design, the only feasible reasoning behind such a design would be to allow bidirectional folding in a case like that. Since the case can't fold both ways, it should've attached fixedly to the K2. As someone else mentioned, a little velcro can solve that problem nicely (if you don't mind sticking something to your kindle.) But, I suspect a magnet in the case would've done just as well. I'm fairly sure the Kindle DX works this way.

I find it unacceptable for Amazon to promote the idea that it's okay that they released a product which is practically designed to break the Kindle it's officially associated with. They should be recalling them, not sending chiding emails to the owners of them.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote