Notices

Old 07-06-2006, 06:06 AM   #1
FGFuzaxx
Enthusiast
FGFuzaxx has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: maybe Iliad ;-)
Compilation of Q&A

Hi Folks,
I am making my mind up for buying this device , so I thought going through the two threads where Henrycat was bombarded with questions would be a good thing to do. So I ended up with an FAQ. And what else to do than to post it here?

Have fun,
Frank

--- Please go to the wiki for updated Q&A ---

Viewer

Online viewer?

The iliad was never meant to be an online viewer, but since it has been talked about a lot, iRex is considering some sort of web capture. Basicaly there would be a web server catching the user requests, and creating/sending an offline page.
It isn't final that it will be created, but it is planned to begin the study of it's implementation around the end of the year. It's not first priority, because anything that would require constant wireless will be a major power drain.

Does anyone know what the RSS capabilities of this device are? e.g. can you sych a web

No RSS now, unless you use the pc to capture and then transfer to the device.

Can you install your own fonts? If so, which type of fonts (TTF, PS, OpenType)?

I can't install fonts on my device, but i can create PDFs with any font i want. See picture with a list of fonts

It's one of the things they are working on the final version, but it seems it is giving them some problems. I'll have to ask to see how it is working :P

What book formats does it support in total? (Does it support eBooks that use the Adobe eBook format? Does it support the Microsoft format eBooks?)? Do they plan on implementing such support?

The device reads pdf and html/xhtml. I have been reading pdfs i already had, or created pdf's from regular text, because right now it gives the best formatting (hiphnization, page layout, etc).
Viewers will become available with time. Alex told me they will invest heavily on it after the device begins selling.
Formats like mobypocket are expected, but they (mobipocket) haven't responded to Irex yet.
The suport for Apabi and Openreader is also being studied, but don't know how far it is.
There is also the possibility of users creating viewers.
Support for encripted PDFs is only expected end of the year (there is already a company working on it).
I asked about support for LIT files, and was told Microsoft hasn't answered to any of the requests from iREx. We will probably have to wait for a "user" viewer. Or just convert to html files.
The device isn’t recognizing txt yet. TXT will be handled by the htm viewer. They just forgot to associate the extension with the viewer.

Can you provide your own styles for XML files?

Do you mean if i can create my XML file with my styles? Or if i can change an existing XMl to what i like?
Yes to the first, anything that a browser can do the Iliad should be able to do, if you are thinking XML only without use of plugins.
The second is trickier since it would require a lot of convertion (which can easily go wrong).

I want to know if the iLiad is capable of displaying multibyte characters (especially Japanese) in it's PDF/TEXT/XHTML browsers.
There are some downloadable files to test this:

<Showing samples of Unicode files, obviously capable of displaying the content>

Oh, and it seems that the iLiad can't display UTF-8 plain text. I somehow had a wrong idea that the iLiad have a text viewer.

Actually i changed the txt to htm because the device wasn't recognizing the format. So it's the xhtml viewer in the pics.

In the reader software available, is there some that can reformat the text according to the zoom factor (i.e. re-wrap the text nicely) ? And is there a way to use the device in landscape mode ?

The html reader allows zoom and re-wrapping of the text. It will depend of the viewers if they can use landscape.

Henrycat, is iLiad pdf viewer able to rotate the page 90 degrees to display half of A4 page or it were just your thoughts that it would be good the have this feature?

It's one of the features of the "final" pdf viewer. If everything goes ok it should be available in the next update, or by the end of September.

Power management

Power management

Like i already said the power management isn't working yet, but that gives a good idea of how the device would behave in max settings let's say.
I seriously doubt anyone will be using the reader at full processor speed, writing with the stilus, reading CF and SD cards, and connecting through the wireless.
The page count given by iRex was made using the xhtml reader constantly fliping pages. The page number is actually higher if you would consider only reading. But they had to also consider casual wireless use, CF SD use, and ocasional annotation.
The page count will have to be updated for the "final" OS version, and i was told it will probably be higher because of all the optimizations.
When they mention time instead of pages, they are considering you are writing on screen, using heavily the processor and CF SD cards.
As you can see it's two very different things.

So if I understand correctly, with the final software version, you could turn everything completely off when you only want to read a book, and thus maintaining a battery life similar to that of the Sony Reader?

Or even better

Its hard to give certainties, because it all depends on how the OS and viewer is optimized. Even if the OS is 100% the viewer can only be 50%, some viewers might need more power, etc.

How long is a recharge?

I would say around 4 hours.

Does the Iliad power down completely, when you do not switch it of? Can you read the last shown page, while it is powering up again?

This isn't finished yet because it relies on Power management. When finished it should do everything of the above, but not by default i think, the user will have to choose in the settings.

Annotation

Annotation

Annotation will create an image file that is "anchored" in the text. Although i can write onscreen but i can't save it yet (one of things working already on the final version).
It will depend on the viewer it the images are seperate or encapsulated. if i remenber correctly only the apabi reader will encapsulate the notes in the book.
Since the device uses independent viewers it is possible annotation will vary in other readers.
Annotation will vary with the reader. It's possible to encapsulate the annotations on the file, but i don't know of any format that does it yet. The first readers will only save text as images.
When the device gets its OCR package, the readers should be able to save normal text.

About annotation, how thin and accurate are the drawn lines?. With wacomm (sp?) technology the Iliad could good at this....is it?

My OS version only allows default thickness; i can't make it thinner or bolder.
The final version allows it, but i can only guess at the "quality".

How's the display rate when you're writing? Is it difficult to write notes, or does the screen keeps up?

It is fast but i had to write a little slowly than usually. I can easily write/draw on screen.
When I borrowed the device to a friend of mine he actually wrote at full speed without waiting for the screen to update. It was a little weird but he liked it.

Are they really planning on integrating OCR?

Well i was told the Ipabi reader probably would do OCR. But if it is it will be only by the end of the year 2006 most likely.

Do all readers support annotations, just to different levels? Can PDFs be annotated?How do you erase annotations? Do you use the other side of the pen?

I think i have said it before, but right now no reader has support for annotation. I can try it in the BMP viewer, but not on html and pdf.
It has just been delayed until the OS and Viewers are working ok.
To erase annotations you use a button on the pen, not the back

I just want to know if there's going to be a note taking application and how it's going to look/work? Will I be able to take notes like a sheet of paper and somehow get them off the device?

In the near future i don't think there will be any specific note taking application.
If i understand correctly the user will be able to write notes on the various readers, simply take off the pen and the device will allow for writing (if the reader supports it).
Once the device is "finished" they should start working on the various add-ons, one of them the refinement of note taking, so i think before the end of the year it should be done.

Device (look, use and feel)

Navigation bar

I will have to show pictures, but this laptop doesn't have a card reader so it will have to wait maybe tomorrow my connection will be ok.¶Also, any picture that i show of the menus will be temporary because they are being updated for the "final" version.¶¶I can already input the page number using the screen keyboard, and in the "final" OS version use character recognition.¶¶They have also arranged an ingenuous way for the problem of page numbering in various zooms. Basically you have a "fixed" numbering. When you zoom in/out the program breaks the page in various sub pages.¶¶You can still say go to page 244. if it is zoomed you start at the first part of the page, and you can go to the following parts, and the following "page".¶The reader shows an icon representation when a page is broken in subpages.

Screen quality

I can see a big difference when reading on the Iliad. It has much better contrast between the black and white. It is also quicker changing pages (after the caching delay).¶¶This is because the Iliad and Sony reader use the "second version" of eink screens. I don't know about Jinke, but it probably also uses the same.

The iLiad has slightly fewer ppi (158 compared to 167 of 6-inch screen devices). But I guess from your account that this doesn't have a visible negative impact.

Unless you are using a microscope it should be negligible. Just the fact that the background is "whittier" in the Iliad improves the reading. Add to that the 16 grays and you have a much better legibility than the Librie.

I looked at all the photos, and on most of them I noticed, that the text wasn't really black! The device can display black quite well as far as i can tell from the comics, but the website looked very gray, especially in comparison to the LCD.

Some of the text on the website weren't black, and if you have really thin text, it get's some "interference" from the white background. This also happens on my Librie and probably on every eink display.
You can see that happen in the "fonts" pic. All the text is Black, but the courier appears almost gray.

How is the feel factor of the device? It looks a lot bigger than the other readers, and I wonder if your arm gets tired from holding it for a longer time.

I find it as easy to hold as the Librie and not heavy at all. 390 grams might seem a lot but compared to Davinci codes...

Also, how easy is it to "flip" pages? I remember fondly back in the past the good old scroll wheel of my Sony Clie.

With the flipbar it's very easy to flip pages, even with only one hand (use it almost all the time). The only doubt i have would be for left handed users...

How does the Iliad feel to sit and read with it for several hours? Are the pages as comfortable to read as a paper book? Is it easy on the eyes in good lighting?

So far i have only read “Flag in Exile” (Hornor Harrigton from BAEN). I'm used to the contrast of the Librie, so the Iliad is even easier to read.
When i showed the device to friends they agree it is as easy to read as paper. The more light the easier it is to read, that's the great advantage of eink.

What is the feeling for reading pdf files in a4 format?

Actually the screen is A5. Just print the pdf to the screen size of the Iliad to see how it would go.

Can you use your finger for the touch screen, or do you have to use the stylus?

Yep, you need to use the stylus. In the beginning i wondered if using the fingers wouldn't add value, but using just the stylus is "cleaner".

Device (inner workings)

From the picture which shows the list of books on the iLiad (from the Irex page): is this something like the ID3-tag so any book I load on the iLiad can have this information updated? Or will this only be available on books received from the IDS server or otherwise prepared by the publisher?

So far all my files only show their name, so I suppose it probably will have to be a specific format to show this extra information.

Can you have folders/subdirectories in the file directory, to be able to organize your books, or is everything in one?

You can have subdirectories. My OS version doesn't present any "quick" way to go back more than one subdirectory, but i think the new had a generic directory structure similar to the one from Windows Vista.

How does it manage html files with accompanying folders (where all the images, css files, etc. are)?

Right now it shows all the files by alphabetical order, even files in formats the device doesn't work yet. File filters are to be added later.

I like to read a lot of web news. If I used a program, like Webzip and saved a site like CNN or Fox plus all links within the sites to a CF card, would I be able to click onto those links on the Iliad while offline?

I download Webzip and saved the Wired magazine.
I copied the directory it created to the CF and opened it in the device. Then i tried opening links but couldn't get it to work.

How ist the bookmark Management? I think that will be very important for me.

The device on-screen toolbar has a button to bookmark, and another to show the list of bookmarks of the book you are reading.

Can you store stuff directly on the Iliad by ftp or the like?

The device can be connected to a PC and is recognized has an USB disk. I have no idea if this allows it to be shared for ftp :P
Also, the device wasn't planned to access a library in the PC by wireless. But guess what? Since it has been talked, it's also one of the things that are being studied

Do the Memory Cards fit completely in the device or do they stick out?

I only have CF, and the card enters totally. It makes a button pop-up, which sticks out, but you can rotate it to the right. You can see in the picture the CF slot the button on the left and the place to where it rotates.

Can it handle Memory cards with more than 1GB?

1G CF/SD cards works. 2G should also be OK. And CF microdrive should also work although it uses more power.

Can you download files from your PC over wireless?

Not until the end of the year, because they saw the users were requesting it they have already decided to work on it, but only later this year.

I live in the US - if I order my Iliad from Belgium, will I be able to charge it from a US power outlet? Will there be power plugs that fit? What about current?

From Belgium you have to use the web shop. Yes, it will charge off 120V 60Hz.. Belgian device will have Belgian plug, but with a simple plug adapter it will run in US.

Any chance of using the Iliad has a card reader for CF and SD with the Iliad connected through USB?

Not at his moment. It should be possible to add that function later

Does the iLiad read SD Cards or just MMC?
Alex confirmed the device can read both SD and MMC cards. Since i only have CF i can't say how they work.

Miscellaneous

Do you already have a manual? If so, are you allowed to share it?

They are updating their manual after i told Alex some aspects i though could be inserted. Right now i can't say more, but when I can I’ll let you guys know

Do they have a dictionary implemented? Anything like Calendar, Addressbook and usual PDA stuff planned or integrated?

Right now it isn't planned. Irex was aiming at making only an eBook reader, so no "PDA" functionality was to be included.But, it has been mentioned a lot so they are planning of including it till the end of the year.
The device doesn't bring a dictionary because they consider it "content" that publishers could sell. I got the impression it could be offered through IDS after the launch, but it was more of a maybe than a certainty.

Did iRex tell you anything new concerning how much information will be available for developers?

I asked about the development of programs. And it seems to be a delicate issue because of security.
iRex wants to give access to programmers, but also be able to convince publishers of it's security.
I got the idea iRex would release software tools to create/test the viewer. If a user creates a "stable" viewer he can send it to iRex, and it is OK, iRex will deliver it to all devices through IDS. Also about security.
All content delivered through IDS will be locked to the user, and encrypted with the code of the device that receives it.
If a user breaks his device his content still belongs to him, and when downloaded will just be encrypted for the new device.
A backup file from the old device will not work in the new.

How is the user notified of updates for the Iliad?
Does the device connect to the internet every time you connect it to your pc via wifi (over router?) or usb or do you have to navigate some onscreen menu and search for updates manually?

When a new update is ready irex sends an email to warn the user.
To update you just have to connect the device to internet, press the button on the top right corner and the device will connect to IDS and download the update.

BTW, is there a way to check the battery status?

Right now there is no way to see battery life, but Alex told me some time ago that they have added an indicator to the new update (not the one of this week tough).

redirected to the wiki

Last edited by FGFuzaxx; 07-18-2006 at 05:32 AM.
FGFuzaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:26 AM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Good Work!
It looks like you'll be able to earn your keep here...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2006, 07:34 AM   #3
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Very well done!

May I suggest adding a page to the Wiki for this?
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:45 AM   #4
FGFuzaxx
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz
Very well done!

May I suggest adding a page to the Wiki for this?
Sure, go ahead. Let me know if I should send you the compilation as a Word document. The questions and answers have to be cleared and formulated more neutral and then its a real cool category for the wiki.

BTW, after reading the Q&As I am not quite convinced to buy the device. The note application is clearly missing. I thought about sitting in a meeting and using this one as a note book, e.g. annotation the agenda (printed to PDF) topic by topic. Or just write note, but this is missing at the moment. Therefore the usability is clearly in only reading pdf and html files. At the moment the stylus and the Watcom gadgetery implemented in this device are useless, or am I wrong? We can only hope for future software releases.

Greets,
Frank
Old 07-06-2006, 08:49 AM   #5
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

as far as I know the annotation and note-taking ability is planned but not fully integrated yet.
As with many things, you'll have to wait for the final software and/or third party apps to add this.

A little bit of trust is required here...I guess everyone will have to decide for himself/herself whether they'll trust iRex and it's partners in this.
Advert
Old 07-06-2006, 09:04 AM   #6
Riocaz
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK I have made a start:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/ILiad_FAQ#iLiad_FAQ

I'll link it into the main article once I've finished re-formating it.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:10 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
*stuck*

Anyone willing to add Frank's Q&A to the MR Wiki?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:15 AM   #8
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

look one post before yours alexander...
Old 07-06-2006, 09:42 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow that's super cool!... I was probably slow when I posted this and Riocaz came before me
Old 07-06-2006, 09:48 AM   #10
FGFuzaxx
Enthusiast

I think tomorrow i will have time to help with the wiki. Is a registration needed for the wiki?

Greetings,
Frank
Old 07-06-2006, 10:01 AM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGFuzaxx
I think tomorrow i will have time to help with the wiki. Is a registration needed for the wiki?
Thanks. No registration needed.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:49 AM   #12
Riocaz

OK I have had another fiddle or 3 and made it a bit easier to read (and distinguish my comments from from Henrycats)
Old 07-13-2006, 05:05 AM   #13
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
Alex just told me in a email that they are finishing the Faq section on the Irex site, and that the person responsible by it is consulting the forum, so make all your questions to make sure they can appear in the official FAQ
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:16 AM   #14
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
- What is the precise version of the operating system? (kernel + distribution versions)

- How many milliAmps does the USB provide? Can I attach a USB light lamp?
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:51 AM   #15
FGFuzaxx
Enthusiast

FAQ updated

Hi Folks,

I have made a section in the FAQ site of the Wiki, where the tools and the settings of these tools for creating PDFs are summarized.

(taken from two threads, this one from kwizmaster and this one from Roland)

Please feel free to add software to this section. I am not quite sure how to arrange the FAQ, so feel also free to discuss this with me either here or on the wiki FAQ-site.

Greetings,
Frank

Last edited by FGFuzaxx; 07-17-2006 at 08:02 AM.