Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-14-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Latest rumored Kindle release date: November 19th

David Carnoy, over at Crave, was invited by Amazon to an event in NY on Monday the 19th. He thinks that Amazon might announce the Kindle.

I think there is very small chance that the Kindle will be announced on Monday. If they announce it before Christmas, it would have to be available almost immediately in order to make the Christmas season. To announce it and then not sell it during the Christmas season would not be smart. I strongly doubt they would make that mistake.

I think they will announce it at CES in January.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Thank you for bringing the news. We will see what we shall see...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2007, 09:08 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I think there is a very small chance that the Kindle will be announced on Monday. If they announce it before Christmas, it would have to be available almost immediately in order to make the Christmas season.
At the risk of fueling rampant speculation, last year at the Blogger's Day thing Sony had us out there and told us they would be launching a week later. Of course, we had known quite a bit about their Reader for some months before that, but they had been "no commenting" every question along those lines for some time at that point. And the two companies are very different.

I think that it may be a bit late in the season to announce now, since it wouldn't allow much time for folks to consider the Kindle's specs before Christmas buying starts, and the rumored $400~500 price is a bit steep for even Christmas impulse buys.

I think I agree that CES is more likely too ... but then again, Amazon is inviting Crave techno-geeks over there fo some reason, and I somehow doubt that it's just to announce Bill Gate's new autobiography or something.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
well, as a mobipocket publisher i just received an email from amazon, regarding tax information. This hints to movement on the ebook front aswell.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I am withdrawing my opinion. They may actually announce on Monday.

If you do a search on "kindle" on Amazon, you will get two results in electronics, the Iliad and the Ebookwise-1150. Not anymore. Between yesterday and today they reset the search term. The items are still for sale on Amazon, they just don't come up when searching for the term kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...ndle&x=12&y=18
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2007, 10:07 AM   #6
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I'm pretty skeptical about Nov. 19. It's based entirely on one person's invitation to an undescribed meeting. There's no insider info or anything else new. Amazon continues to modify their web site including putting up a nice place to navigate to get digital downloads of movies, music, and small books that will probably expand once the Kindle is ready. Removing the Sony and Iliad devices from the Kindle search hit list is just another step for them but doesn't make me think release is imminent. Still, I remain anxious and hopeful.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #7
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I'm convinced that it is an announcement of the Kindle too as there is no reason that the Crave guys or others would be invited to an announcement in NY by Amazon.

As for the tax thing, it might be due to this that was included in today's Shelf Awareness newsletter:

In a "clarification," New York State's department of taxation and finance has indicated that online retailers with affiliates in the state need to collect applicable sales tax on items bought by consumers in New York, Bookselling This Week reported.

The department said that retailers must register and begin collecting sales tax as of December 7 to avoid being assessed sales tax before that date or any penalties or interest for not collecting sales tax in the past.

The ABA, which has argued that online retailers with nexus in a state should collect sales tax--making them more competitive with independent booksellers--welcomed the change. COO Oren Teicher commented: "In many states, the law is clear: If a company sells through an affiliate that is based in the state, then it should collect sales tax within that state."

Among large retailers of books online, B&N.com already collects sales tax in a majority of states. Some have argued that Amazon.com should collect sales tax in all states because of its affiliates program. The e-tailer has said that such tax collection is technically feasible.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:02 AM   #8
ctennenh
ctennenh began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
As much as I love my Sony Reader I'm jealous of the text input, and potential for searching, on the Kindle. Sony needs some sort of thumb-board at the very least. At the rumored price of this Amazon unit, though, I wonder what's been sacrificed.
ctennenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:20 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I'm going to get flack for this, but I wonder what bb would say about that.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:38 AM   #10
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
ssshhh..you might set him off again
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:40 AM   #11
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:41 AM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

His ghost then!

Seriously, I'm still interested in that device but I choose to be patient about it. It will come out when it will come out.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:47 PM   #13
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
His ghost then!

Seriously, I'm still interested in that device but I choose to be patient about it. It will come out when it will come out.
LOL. Says he who already owns a reader. I'm going nuts here! I'm fixing to finally settle on the Cybook and now I'm being teased with thoughts of the Kindle.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:16 AM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
LOL. Says he who already owns a reader. I'm going nuts here! I'm fixing to finally settle on the Cybook and now I'm being teased with thoughts of the Kindle.
I see you!
I vividly remember ranting and ranting for over a year while waiting for the 500 to come out. My sympathy goes with you on this...

Then why the Cybook? There are two Sonys and an iLiad?

As for the Kindle, I'm curious but cautious. We know next to nothing about it.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:13 PM   #15
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Then why the Cybook? There are two Sonys and an iLiad?

As for the Kindle, I'm curious but cautious. We know next to nothing about it.
It really is about the format horse race for me right now and it seems Mobipocket is ahead. That makes the Cybook a good choice to me. The dictionary look up is nifty, too. Not quite as nice as if it had full text search but still nifty. Now if I could read the DRM-laden PDFs from my public library on a Sony that would put it in a more competitive spot with me. (My library offers both Mobi and PDF but more PDF. ) It's a lower price, it's gorgeous and I could have it NOW.

Of course if Amazon's ebooks tie you to the Kindle then I have to rethink the whole thing. I do wish we had more information on it. Makes me wonder what's up with the project since I can't believe they didn't want this thing out in time for Christmas.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote