Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #16
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Stanza is borked. It's been confirmed for a while now.

Gonna wait a few days before I try. No one seems to be having any luck.
*sigh* I can wish, can't I? Don't really use the iPad for reading so I don't mind if Stanza gets borked there. The two devices I use with Stanza are the iPhone 4 and the iPod Touch 4. Strongly considering getting an extra iPod Touch 4 as back-up while they're still likely to come with iOS4 pre-installed.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 10-12-2011 at 07:47 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #17
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
This isn't a hiccup. It's an inability of their servers to handle the heavy demand; which ultimately means poor planning.
Microsoft is rolling out their Mango update in batches. *sigh* I still haven't gotten it on my LG Quantum. Can you imagine the outcry of the Apple faithful if Apple implements a similar roll out?

However, whatever happened to Apple's server upgrades? Surely, they can spare some of that hardware infrastructure for their activation servers?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #18
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
It took me over 4 hours of trying and retrying to finally update one of my daughter's iTouches. Fortunately, the other's updated quickly after that. The next headache - trying to activate iMessage so they could chat with one another. That was a no go and I finally gave up before I hurled the devices against the wall.

Tomorrow is another day!
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:34 PM   #19
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
I started my ipad upgrade, after updating itunes got the "missing pairing record" error. Luckily rebooting the ipad resolved that, and I'm now looking at a 3 hour progress bar. Maybe I should hold off.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #20
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
updating itouch now :P only 7 mins to go
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #21
BobLenx
Connoisseur
BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony505 K2 K3
Took four tries to get it to work. It did backup, downloaded software, expanded and verified it then died due to servers being overloaded. But eventually it went thru fine.

When finished I had none of my apps, iBooks or music. I assumed the installation process would do this or prompt me to do it, but obviously not, it is a manual process which I guess makes sense. I had to recover the apps from my PC, which took some time as I had to reorganize them all over again into folders - and I assumed folders were being backed up to iTunes. The only apps that were in folders were the ones that come with the iPad, all the rest were simply splattered all over multiple screens. What a pain to reorganize.

All this after having updated iTunes and doing sync backup and transfer apps TWICE to be sure I was ready to go. However, the end result is a better organized iPad. And after restoring apps from my PC all of my app data was there fine and dandy.

Safari tabs and reading list are a nice improvement. I don't notice any performances increases, if there were any.

Now exploring ios5 to see what gives. I really like using the four finger move to go between open apps, a serious time saver. So far all my apps work okay. There were a lot of pre ios5 app updates last few days and another 15 or so for me after installation.

Off to read the new manual.

I set up WiFi sync to my PC which is nifty rather than having to connect via cable, Also set up iTunes so cabled backups go to iCloud rather than to the PC, tho you can toggle and do both.

Last edited by BobLenx; 10-13-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Typos
BobLenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #22
Cheeky1
A Happy Pelican
Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 1, iPad 3, iPad Air, iPhone 5s, Kindle Fire HD, Google Nexus 7
It definitely takes some time. I was finally able to download the upgrade after trying three times. After that was the next issue. Many people are getting an error message when trying to upgrade. The notification bar hangs during backing up iPad, then it will extract the data and BAM! Error message 3200 or something like that. Just keep trying and it will eventually upgrade. It took me about 15 times. I was planning on throwing in the towel and waiting until the weekend when the servers wouldn't be so overworked but it just happened to work on my last try

Good luck and keep trying
Cheeky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #23
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Is anyone planning to upgrade their idevice to iOS5 over the next couple of days? I'm typically a "wait at least a few days to see what breaks" kind of person, but I'm very interested to hear how it goes for those of you bold enough to install the earliest version.
Me, right now! so !@#$% slow and long process, lol ...

Even though I barely have info on my iPad, no pictures, no music, it took a while to backup apps. And later, downloading the software via iTunes.

Hopefully will go smoothly ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:35 PM   #24
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
It's not what technology can do for you, it's what you have to do for technology. Read that somewhere and it stuck in my head

I will wait a few days till the rush dies down I think
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:37 PM   #25
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLenx View Post
When finished I had none of my apps or music. I had to recover them from my PC, which took some time as I had to reorganize them all over again into folders. All this after having updated iTunes and doing sync backup and transfer apps TWICE to be sure I was ready to go. However, the end result is a better organized iPad. And after restoring apps from my PC all of my app data was there fine and dandy.
I got my apps organized by folders or containers. Please, don't tell me I have to do that again, do I?

Also, I have a lot of DRM free and O'Reilly books. Do I have to add those manually again? I thought those were being backed up via iTunes prior upgrade.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:18 AM   #26
jocampo
Layback feline

I think it was good not doing it this morning ... it went smoothly. I'm still testing the apps but no problems so far. Hopefully I won't face any issues. Some of them were asking for updates yesterday.

By the way, love, love the new tab feature on Safari!

The ugly: organizing or putting my apps into folders again, what a pain!

The nice: I did not loss my DRM free books. I just had to restore them from backup. iBooks even recognized my collections.

Really happy now!
Old 10-13-2011, 12:22 AM   #27
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Update process took 3 or more hours but finally finished. Everything's fine, except of course for Stanza. Looking forward to not needing iTunes as much, but other than that, haven't found much about it that I'll actually appreciate. I know the screen is too small for it, but I would have liked the multitasking gestures on my iPod—that home button is gonna blow one of these days from all the torture it gets.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:31 AM   #28
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
It took about 5 hours from start to finish, but I managed to update my iPod Touch without any error messages.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:14 AM   #29
jocampo
Layback feline

Quick question ...

How iOs5 will get rid of iTunes? I mean... do I have to turn Cloud services on or what?

Im not so sure I want to start using iCloud , no yet.

By the way, the whole upgrade process for my iPad 2 took about 2.5 hrs. About 50 apps. No music and no pictures, only apps and a few DRM free ebooks. Disclaimer, mine is wifi only and download speed is 12Mbps.

Last edited by jocampo; 10-13-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:31 AM   #30
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Given what i've read here, I am going to wait about a week for the rush to subside and for the kinks to be worked out. I hope you early adopters are enjoying your hard earned upgrade, though.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote