Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 01-24-2016, 06:17 PM   #1231
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibletpie View Post
Thanks so much for the awesome program, willus!

I'm having one small problem. I like using this with my Nook Glowlight Plus. Same resolution as the Kindle Voyager. But on the nook, it keeps a header and footer at the top and bottom. Which ends up overlapping some of the PDF text. What I want to do is fit to width, but leave space at the top and bottom to accommodate the header and footer. I've figured out I can leave space for the footer by adjusting the height in the device settings, but I can't figure out how to leave space for the header.

Is this possible?
I don't know enough about the Nook. You'll have to experiment. Between the options to set the device width and height (-w, -h) and the option to provide extra margins around the output pages (-om), you should be able to find something that works. E.g. -omt 0.1in will leave 0.1 inches margin at the top of the PDF output pages. See full list of options (if you are using the MS Windows GUI, you can put the -om... options into the "Additional options" box).
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:17 PM   #1232
gibletpie
Enthusiast
gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
I don't know enough about the Nook. You'll have to experiment. Between the options to set the device width and height (-w, -h) and the option to provide extra margins around the output pages (-om), you should be able to find something that works. E.g. -omt 0.1in will leave 0.1 inches margin at the top of the PDF output pages. See full list of options (if you are using the MS Windows GUI, you can put the -om... options into the "Additional options" box).
Thanks, willus! Adding -omt 0.4in -omb 0.3in to the Additional Options is perfect for the Nook Glowlight Plus, leaving sufficient space for the header and footer.
gibletpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2016, 07:33 AM   #1233
mahpooya
mahpooya began at the beginning.

Device: galaxy s3
I need different auto straightening values for each columns.
My file is a scanned copy of the book and left and right columns are tilted, but the angle of tilt are unlike other column.
How can I set different values for each columns?
mahpooya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:33 PM   #1234
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahpooya View Post
I need different auto straightening values for each columns.
My file is a scanned copy of the book and left and right columns are tilted, but the angle of tilt are unlike other column.
How can I set different values for each columns?
You can't set different straightening values for each column, but you can first make an intermediate PDF file where you split each column onto a separate page using the -grid or -cbox options (the -cbox option along with -mode crop). If you want to post a few pages of your PDF, I can recommend some specific settings. Then on the intermediate PDF you can do an autostraighten on each page.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:28 PM   #1235
mahpooya
mahpooya began at the beginning.

Device: galaxy s3
Quote:
You can't set different straightening values for each column, but you can first make an intermediate PDF file where you split each column onto a separate page using the -grid or -cbox options (the -cbox option along with -mode crop). If you want to post a few pages of your PDF, I can recommend some specific settings. Then on the intermediate PDF you can do an autostraighten on each page.
Oh yeah
I get it
I try myself with that idea.

I try to convert this ugly file
http://www.toproman.ir/wp-content/up...proman.ir_.zip

Password: www.toproman.ir
mahpooya is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2016, 09:39 AM   #1236
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahpooya View Post
Oh yeah
I get it
I try myself with that idea.

I try to convert this ugly file
http://www.toproman.ir/wp-content/up...proman.ir_.zip

Password: www.toproman.ir
This command works pretty well for creating the first iteration (breaking each double-wide source page into its two book pages):
Code:
k2pdfopt -grid 2x1x-5 -mode crop  DonYaye_SoPhie_toproman.ir.pdf
Old 03-18-2016, 07:47 PM   #1237
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

k2pdfopt v2.34 released

This release adds some feature requests and bug fixes from the past few months, including the ability to select the font size of the converted document and the selection of an output folder in the MS Windows GUI. See all of the other new features, improvements and bug fixes at the web site.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:23 PM   #1238
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

k2pdfopt v2.34a released

A couple more bug fixes. See the web site.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:53 PM   #1239
agelos100
Enthusiast
agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle
A question and a minor bug

Hello Willus,

I have a question about your excellent software, and I would also like to report a minor bug since version 2.33.

If I have a file with let me say 500 pages, and I want a few pages not to be converted (for example page numbers 10, 100, 200), is there a way to directly exclude those pages from conversion (some command -10,100,200) or I have to specify pages to convert as 1-9,11-99,101-199,201-500) ?

In some cases the former would be very convenient.

And for the bug, when the name of the input file has Greek characters the output file has some funny characters, check the attachments.
input file: Το όνομα του ρόδου.pdf
output file: Το όνομα του ρόδου_k2opt.pdf

Thank you in advance
Angelos
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Το όνομα του ρόδου.pdf (1.15 MB, 184 views)
File Type: pdf Το όνομα του ρόδου_k2opt.pdf (860.0 KB, 160 views)
agelos100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:35 PM   #1240
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelos100 View Post
... is there a way to directly exclude those pages from conversion (some command -10,100,200) or I have to specify pages to convert as 1-9,11-99,101-199,201-500) ?
Yes. The -px option does exactly what you want. E.g. go to the command-line options and search for "exclude".

Quote:
And for the bug, when the name of the input file has Greek characters the output file has some funny characters, check the attachments.
input file: Το όνομα του ρόδου.pdf
output file: Το όνομα του ρόδου_k2opt.pdf
I was not able to duplicate this behavior under Windows 7 64-bit with the latest version (v2.34a--though v2.33 should be the same). The output file name was correct. What O/S version are you running again?
Old 03-20-2016, 03:43 PM   #1241
agelos100
Enthusiast
agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!agelos100 rocks like Gibraltar!

I was not able to duplicate this behavior under Windows 7 64-bit with the latest version (v2.34a--though v2.33 should be the same). The output file name was correct. What O/S version are you running again?[/QUOTE]

I have Windows 8.1

I just checked -px command and it seems to me that it just deletes specified page; Is there a way to keep that page at its original size (that would be useful if the page has a picture or a map or a drawing)?

Last edited by agelos100; 03-20-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:02 PM   #1242
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
I have Windows 8.1

I just checked -px command and it seems to me that it just deletes specified page; Is there a way to keep that page at its original size (that would be useful if the page has a picture or a map or a drawing)?
I'm not sure what to tell you about the file name mangling. Maybe it has to do with you running a Greek version of Windows (something I have not tested directly)? K2pdfopt correctly handle unicode/wide character file names in my testing. BTW, I'm running Windows 10, not Windows 7--I forgot that I upgraded a while back.

[EDIT: Never mind--I duplicated the bug. It happens when you do a native conversion (which uses a different set of functions to write the converted file). Should be easy to fix.]

There is not a simple way to do different types of conversions (e.g. no text re-flow vs. text re-flow) on different pages within the same document other than to do them with separate commands and then merge the two converted files back together with a utility like cpdf (my favorite) or pdfsam. But pictures and maps should be preserved even with text re-flow, particularly if you use the -f2p -2 option.

Last edited by willus; 03-20-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:08 AM   #1243
agelos100
Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm not sure what to tell you about the file name mangling. Maybe it has to do with you running a Greek version of Windows (something I have not tested directly)? K2pdfopt correctly handle unicode/wide character file names in my testing. BTW, I'm running Windows 10, not Windows 7--I forgot that I upgraded a while back.

[EDIT: Never mind--I duplicated the bug. It happens when you do a native conversion (which uses a different set of functions to write the converted file). Should be easy to fix.]

There is not a simple way to do different types of conversions (e.g. no text re-flow vs. text re-flow) on different pages within the same document other than to do them with separate commands and then merge the two converted files back together with a utility like cpdf (my favorite) or pdfsam. But pictures and maps should be preserved even with text re-flow, particularly if you use the -f2p -2 option.
Well, for both issues there are alternatives, that is why I didn't say anything from the very beginning.

Thanks again for your time.
Angelos
Old 03-21-2016, 11:23 PM   #1244
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

k2pdfopt v2.34b released

Fixes two more MS Windows bugs, including the issue that agelos100 just reported with unicode file names. See the web site.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #1245
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Fixes two more MS Windows bugs, including the issue that agelos100 just reported with unicode file names. See the web site.
Thanks, willus! Just downloaded the new version, I haven't tested yet but I know it will be great, as usual!
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools