Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Trying to Open Calibre and Getting Error Message

I'm trying to open up Calibre and I'm getting the error message in the attached image. I don't know what's going on; it was working fine last night
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre Error Message.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	66898  
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

More details:

I'm using the latest version of Calibre on a 64-bit Win 7 machine
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Do a uninstall and re-install and dont worry uninstalling does not touch your books/settings
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
Loosheesh
Wizard

Thanks for the quick response Kovid! I feel a little embarrassed () 'cuz I restarted my computer and tried again and Calibre opened up just fine (and it also let me know there's a new update).
Old 02-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Archon
Zealot
Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Mac OSX, iPad, iPod, & Nook
Archon's rule #1

If you are having a problem with any piece of technology - cycle power.

Restarting works wonders for squashing bugs.
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
Restarting works wonders for squashing bugs.
I should know that better than anyone else as I'm always preaching it to my coworkers when their computers act up, but I just panicked when the error message came up. My first thought was 'I've lost access to my 1700+ books' Only after I calmed down, I remembered good ole restart
Old 02-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
Archon
Zealot
Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Archon Rule #2
When in doubt Backup!

DVD's are cheap, hard drives are cheap, backup everything.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
CuriousGrrl
Kindle lover/Linux user
CuriousGrrl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
You could keep your library in Dropbox :-) or at least back it up there
CuriousGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
Archon Rule #2
When in doubt Backup!

DVD's are cheap, hard drives are cheap, backup everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGrrl View Post
You could keep your library in Dropbox :-) or at least back it up there
I do back-up; I use MozyHome online back-up (plus SugarSync just for my ebooks.)

I wasn't afraid of losing my books but access to them through Calibre. After the hours I put in, getting my 1600+ ebooks into Calibre just the way I like them (tagged and metadata'ed to the hilt!), I panicked (reflex ) at the mere possibility of having to do it all over again. Of course, if I'd thought about it for 1/2 a minute before posting, I would've realized my fears were unnecessary.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:35 AM   #10
Archon
Zealot

Sometimes panic is a good thing.
It keeps you from doing dumb stuff that could get you eaten by bears.

I am preaching the "Gospel of Backup" to all, so that your computer's soul may be saved from the fiery abyss!

Happy Humpday
Old 03-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

I am preaching the "Gospel of Backup" to all, so that your computer's soul may be saved from the fiery abyss!

Happy Humpday

You saw the Spectacular Power supply failure on my Dell GX60? ?
(A very Loud Brrrrrraaaapppp and a small bit of smoke.)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:58 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Geez; my spectacular failure was the weekend that my computer's C drive failed, and my wife's D drive failed! Since then backups have been a regular occurence!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Geez; my spectacular failure was the weekend that my computer's C drive failed, and my wife's D drive failed! Since then backups have been a regular occurence!
Ouch! 2 drives in a short period
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote