Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 06-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #466
JensW
Enthusiast
JensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trolls

Device: Kindle 4
without the source file it's really hard to tell what the problem is. I just tried it with a PDF with blank pages I created in Word and it worked without a problem.

Could you post the complete command line (the box beneath the file- and options list in my GUI), so we can see what options you chose?
JensW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #467
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaJT View Post
Its great software , but I have a repeatable crash.

native PDF input
native PDF output selected

the pdf file has blank pages between sections (or they look blank in pdf reader)

if I attempt to process whole file process crashes

if I skip the first blank page [#11] as follows ( -p 1-10,12- ) then it crashes on next blank page [#15]...
@YaJT -- There is a known issue with blank pages. It is on my to-do list to fix. Thank you for reporting it.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:05 AM   #468
fibasile
fibasile knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fibasile knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fibasile knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fibasile knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fibasile knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fibasile knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fibasile knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fibasile knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fibasile knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fibasile knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fibasile knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone, iPad
Hi,

I made a quick native Mac Gui for k2pdfopt with the settings I currently use for converting pdf books for my Kindle Paperwhite.

The full project is at:

https://github.com/fibasile/MacReFlower

I hope you find it useful!
fibasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #469
JensW
Enthusiast
JensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trollsJensW doesn't feed trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibasile View Post
Hi,

I made a quick native Mac Gui for k2pdfopt with the settings I currently use for converting pdf books for my Kindle Paperwhite.

The full project is at:

https://github.com/fibasile/MacReFlower

I hope you find it useful!
Looks very clean and easy to use. Good job!
Which command line options does it apply?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:17 AM   #470
hiphope
hiphope got an A in P-Chem.hiphope got an A in P-Chem.hiphope got an A in P-Chem.hiphope got an A in P-Chem.hiphope got an A in P-Chem.hiphope got an A in P-Chem.hiphope got an A in P-Chem.hiphope got an A in P-Chem.hiphope got an A in P-Chem.hiphope got an A in P-Chem.hiphope got an A in P-Chem.

Device: none
I want to report a bug. and I've attached the pdfs, in different languages and one is problematic and the other not, both have an image background.

I ran it with -n option
Attached Files
File Type: zip problem.zip (438.6 KB, 187 views)
hiphope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #471
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphope View Post
I want to report a bug. and I've attached the pdfs, in different languages and one is problematic and the other not, both have an image background.

I ran it with -n option
@hiphope -- Thanks for reporting the bug. Can you give a little more detail as to what you mean by problematic? Does the conversion fail, or does it not look the way you want it to? Which binary did you download? Did you try with this option:

-mode fw

(You can also try the default mode which doesn't use -n for native output.) A screenshot of the failed conversion would also be helpful.

Last edited by willus; 07-02-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #472
hiphope
hiphope got an A in P-Chem.hiphope got an A in P-Chem.hiphope got an A in P-Chem.hiphope got an A in P-Chem.hiphope got an A in P-Chem.hiphope got an A in P-Chem.hiphope got an A in P-Chem.hiphope got an A in P-Chem.hiphope got an A in P-Chem.hiphope got an A in P-Chem.hiphope got an A in P-Chem.

Device: none
Willus, Thank you for making such a great program!

-n is precisely what I need, since I want to use the content, not just read it.
-mode fw really worked, warning that assert: val does not exist for key (Type)

Could you please make it so that it could output the text of the pdf, that is,
convert to .txt or .html? With K2PDFOPT's batch processing ability, it would be
really great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	problem_resized.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	107575  
hiphope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #473
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
-n is precisely what I need, since I want to use the content, not just read it.
-mode fw really worked, warning that assert: val does not exist for key (Type)
I don't know what you mean by "assert: val ...". It may be a message from the MuPDF library.

Quote:
Could you please make it so that it could output the text of the pdf, that is,
convert to .txt or .html? With K2PDFOPT's batch processing ability, it would be
really great!
I will add it to the wish list--it shouldn't be too hard. Thanks for the screen shot. I will try to replicate the crash when I get a chance.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #474
JensW
Enthusiast

Hi all,

just wanted to inform you of an upcoming feature I will add to my GUI. It will be possible to use multithreading to greatly increase the conversion speed. That is done by letting multiple instances of k2pdfopt convert different parts of the document and afterwards merging the resulting parts into one file.
On my debug build it's working pretty well and cutting the conversion time by over 50% on my quad-core.

I will post again when the new version is released.

Best wishes
Jens
Old 07-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #475
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensW View Post
just wanted to inform you of an upcoming feature I will add to my GUI. It will be possible to use multithreading to greatly increase the conversion speed. That is done by letting multiple instances of k2pdfopt convert different parts of the document and afterwards merging the resulting parts into one file.
On my debug build it's working pretty well and cutting the conversion time by over 50% on my quad-core.
Nice! What library are you using to merge the PDF files?
Old 07-05-2013, 01:16 AM   #476
JensW
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
Nice! What library are you using to merge the PDF files?
I'm currently using PDFSharp for this. I have a little problem though because it seems to have problems with certain pdf files. Maybe you can help me with it but I better write you an E-Mail about that. I'm away over the weekend though, so it might take a while.

As it is now the conversion of course works everytime but the merging is not as reliable as I want it to be for such a function. The problem is, it does not just raise exceptions which I could capture and just say "meeh doesn't work..", but it starts memory leaking in the library leading to a completely unlocalizable outofmemeory-exception somewhere else in the code in most cases.

I also tried a library by Gios but that had even more problems and I don't quite get the license of ItextSharp so I won't be using that.
Maybe I can work out the problems with PDFSharp though or you can help me with that. The author of PDFSharp said "The DEBUG build shows inconsistency warnings (IREF without value)." about the file. It might be that the file gets a little roughed up during the conversion with k2pdfopt because the source file can be opened without a problem.

Also the converted file (used just the options -ui- -x -p 1-7) can not be opened with some PDF readers who claim a corrupted PDF format.

Post on the author's board
http://forum.pdfsharp.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2501
The file in question
http://www.students.uni-marburg.de/~Wallauej/plasma.pdf

Have a nice day :-)

---------
I found that ItextSharp was under LGPL license up to a specific version. Maybe that will work.

Last edited by JensW; 07-05-2013 at 03:01 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #477
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
...Also the converted file (used just the options -ui- -x -p 1-7) can not be opened with some PDF readers who claim a corrupted PDF format.
The file in question
http://www.students.uni-marburg.de/~Wallauej/plasma.pdf
I'll check this. Which PDF readers?
Old 07-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #478
JensW
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
I'll check this. Which PDF readers?
the Windows 8 internal reader for example can't open the file at all. With Foxit Reader it opens without a problem. According to this other guy Acrobat Reader has problems with saving the file again and Firefox internal reader has very high memory requirement (1.2 GB).
PDFXchangeViewer opens the file but says the file has errors (Wrong Object Structure).
Chrome internal viewer has no problems.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #479
fibasile
fibasile knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fibasile knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fibasile knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fibasile knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fibasile knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fibasile knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fibasile knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fibasile knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fibasile knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fibasile knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fibasile knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone, iPad
MacReFlower options

Quote:
Looks very clean and easy to use. Good job!
Which command line options does it apply?
Thank you! Here's the options list straight from the source code:

-dev kpw -mode fw -wrap- -pi- -hy -ws 0.375 -ls- -ui- -x

Please let me know if there are better ones for the paperwhite.

You can file feature requests directly on github if you like.

Fiore
fibasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #480
JensW
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibasile View Post
Thank you! Here's the options list straight from the source code:

-dev kpw -mode fw -wrap- -pi- -hy -ws 0.375 -ls- -ui- -x

Please let me know if there are better ones for the paperwhite.

You can file feature requests directly on github if you like.

Fiore
Ho.. I have never seen the -pi command anywhere, what does it do?

I also don't think that -hy will do anything since it's on by default. same is with -ls-, which will set the output to portrait mode, which is the default anyways.

Btw: I switched to the LGPL version of iTextSharp and it seems to work perfectly. After some more testing and a few tweeks it's done.
Btw: Does someone know an easy way to extract the number of pages from a .djvu file?

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools