Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-19-2012, 11:51 PM   #31
KenFisher
Connoisseur
KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox, iPad
Taming, I loaded the Aldiko app and in the current version the "My Catalogs" is in the store area, but there is no "Menu" option available to get to it. I am going to leave it and work on it one the weekend.

Thanks,

Ken
KenFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:00 AM   #32
duckfeet
duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoman View Post
<snip>
On an unrelated point (and why I'm here tonight)...

Has anyone figured out how to transfer a non-protected epub from a PC to the Nexus 7 and have it show-up in the default book App? I know it can be done with 3rd party readers but I can't find a way to do it with the default.
I pre-ordered my16gb Nexus7 from Google Play a couple of weeks ago, and it got here yesterday....and tonight I'm struggling with that very thing: how to get outside books (books I didn't order from Google Play) , like this epub book onto my tablet...along with outside movies, which I"ve had some luck with, using outside apps.

I have tried getting the epub books installed with the 'Calibre' app, but no luck yet, or at least, I haven't been able to see them on the tablet, much less get them to open up.

I know Google hopes we'll buy books from them, but I'd find that highly irratating if I'm forced to do that, so I'm sure someone has come up with a way...
duckfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2012, 03:57 AM   #33
nzlegs
nzlegs began at the beginning.

Device: android device
Received my 16Gb Nexus yesterday. Unfortunately Google Docs is not available in New Zealand so wasn't able to download the manual.

Got Aldiko installed along with a few epubs I had on Calibre. I installed them as 'epubs into a directory' and then had Aldiko import files. Only problem I had was that long filenames were not transferred.

Also, there are no movies, and no $25 voucher in New Zealand either, also wierd currency exchange as somehow $250 US translates through some mysterious medium to $439 NZ. Wierd.
nzlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #34
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckfeet View Post
I pre-ordered my16gb Nexus7 from Google Play a couple of weeks ago, and it got here yesterday....and tonight I'm struggling with that very thing: how to get outside books (books I didn't order from Google Play) , like this epub book onto my tablet...along with outside movies, which I"ve had some luck with, using outside apps.

I have tried getting the epub books installed with the 'Calibre' app, but no luck yet, or at least, I haven't been able to see them on the tablet, much less get them to open up.

I know Google hopes we'll buy books from them, but I'd find that highly irratating if I'm forced to do that, so I'm sure someone has come up with a way...
Hey I am using kobo to manage my books on the google nexus 7 and all i did was drag my books to a directory on the device called nexus, can be any name really, and had kobo do an import search, it found all 1682 books I loaded as a test and imported them.

WAs not hard to do. Trying to figure out how to get the kindle app to recognize the books and the folder as well.

\REgards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #35
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFisher View Post
Taming, I loaded the Aldiko app and in the current version the "My Catalogs" is in the store area, but there is no "Menu" option available to get to it. I am going to leave it and work on it one the weekend.

Thanks,

Ken
Here's how to set up the Calibre server in your Aldiko Store/Catalogues:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...76#post2082576
See post #2 for details & screen shots.

The great thing about this is that there is no need to plug the tablet into a computer to get your books, as long as the Calibre server is running.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 07-20-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #36
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Well, overnight both Future Shop and Best Buy in Red Deer got them in, so I was waiting at the door to Future Shop when the store opened. I unboxed it in the store to make sure I didn't have one of the loose screws screens or dead pixels. I'm all good.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #37
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzlegs View Post
Received my 16Gb Nexus yesterday. Unfortunately Google Docs is not available in New Zealand so wasn't able to download the manual.
The book/manual is available as a PDF or EPUB, so you can download it onto your computer or your device, I bet. Find it on play and "buy" it. Then look in My Books and choose "How to Read" you can choose to read it in your browser, or download the file.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #38
duckfeet
duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Hey I am using kobo to manage my books on the google nexus 7 and all i did was drag my books to a directory on the device called nexus, can be any name really, and had kobo do an import search, it found all 1682 books I loaded as a test and imported them.

WAs not hard to do. Trying to figure out how to get the kindle app to recognize the books and the folder as well.

\REgards

Jack
I'm using aldiko and ended up doing what you say just dragging them to Nexus...but I would say that I would much prefer to use the built in Book App: it seems to work much better, compared to Aldiko...and I can't believe Google expects us only to want to buy their books...they should make it easier to use their own built in book reader, but so far, no luck...Aldiko works OK, but it took quite a bit of tweaking...and still stalls and goes backwards sometimes...

My main wish is to be able to use Google Play to read books, in other words, I think it works better than the applications, as is often the case. Plus, tho I often am a Google Fan, and still have my Google Nexus One phone, I do find it irritating that they make it so difficult to read outside lit sources on their inhouse reader. I don't have that problem with Kindle, where Calibre nicely translates epub...but I"ve tried different ways of using Calibre on Nexus7 but so far, doesn't seem to help, so at this point I'm still using Aldiko

Last edited by duckfeet; 07-20-2012 at 02:59 PM.
duckfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:53 AM   #39
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Here's how to set up the Calibre server in your Aldiko Store/Catalogues:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...76#post2082576
See post #2 for details & screen shots.

The great thing about this is that there is no need to plug the tablet into a computer to get your books, as long as the Calibre server is running.
The new versions of Aldiko Premium and Aldiko free do NOT have the capacity to create catalogs on 7 inch tablets. Aldiko recommends you download an earlier edition until this is solved.

For more information, and the download link, see:
https://aldiko.zendesk.com/entries/2...-7-inch-tablet

Last edited by taming; 07-21-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #40
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The new versions of Aldiko Premium and Aldiko free do NOT have the capacity to create catalogs on 7 inch tablets. Aldiko recommends you download an earlier edition until this is solved.

For more information, and the download link, see:
https://aldiko.zendesk.com/entries/2...-7-inch-tablet
Hadn't noticed a problem since I haven't updated the version of Aldiko on the Vox.... And it doesn't run ICS (far from it!!!)
I still can use the catalogue/menu on my Vox, it appears the Aldiko Premium version on it is 2.0 and it does display it. The more recent version on my Tab 10.1 isn't impacted because it's not a 7 inch tablet.
Thanks for the info (in case the Vox does get it's Android version updated.)

Last edited by Cdesja5; 07-21-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #41
oorwullie
oorwullie doesn't litteroorwullie doesn't litteroorwullie doesn't litter

Device: acer all in one,acer a500 nexus7 palm tungsten kindlekb
loading books to nexus 7

i`m using coolreader and to get books onto the nexus 7 i do the following.
i connect the nexus to pc then open the nexus,make a new folder (i named mine books). i then used copy and paste to move books from the pc to the nexus.
i then used a file manager to open one book then coolreader knew where to find them .............hope this helps

Last edited by oorwullie; 07-21-2012 at 12:25 PM.
oorwullie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #42
taming
Trying for calm & polite

There is also a very nice (free) App that lets you transfer files between your Android device and your computer using your browser. It's called AirDroid. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....sand.airdroid
Old 07-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #43
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
I'm using aldiko and ended up doing what you say just dragging them to Nexus...but I would say that I would much prefer to use the built in Book App: it seems to work much better, compared to Aldiko...and I can't believe Google expects us only to want to buy their books...they should make it easier to use their own built in book reader, but so far, no luck...Aldiko works OK, but it took quite a bit of tweaking...and still stalls and goes backwards sometimes...
My main wish is to be able to use Google Play to read books, in other words, I think it works better than the applications, as is often the case. Plus, tho I often am a Google Fan, and still have my Google Nexus One phone, I do find it irritating that they make it so difficult to read outside lit sources on their inhouse reader. I don't have that problem with Kindle, where Calibre nicely translates epub...but I"ve tried different ways of using Calibre on Nexus7 but so far, doesn't seem to help, so at this point I'm still using Aldiko
Right now I use two methods to get my books on the android device. I use calibre's web server and use Moon+ built in ODPS browser to download my book. This allows me to use calibre's for what it excels at book cataloging. It makes searches quick and powerful.
The next method is using Dropbox, I am finalizing a tutorial on how I setup my Dropbox keep your eyes open for it.

Agreed Google Play bookstore has become the best experience for buying books and having them pushed to your device. It is a huge shift from a year ago, where it was by far the worst experience.

The problem for me is I really dislike the Play Books app. It's just so basic, I suppose for any who just read from cover to end that is fine but I need more control and features.

Right now for my reading Moon+ is the best book reader and all the book stores with their apps fall short. What's worse its all the automated push forces you to use their apps. I'd like to see a standard where the stores open their API and allow for any reader app to replace their reader client.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #44
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I forgot you can use calibre as a server, mostly because I just dont use it that way. But it is definately an awsome way to do it. The advantage is you ge the description... at least I do in Stanza which is the only place I have used it as a server.
Tamming has some great suggestions.

Regards

Jack
Old 07-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #45
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzlegs View Post

Got Aldiko installed along with a few epubs I had on Calibre. I installed them as 'epubs into a directory' and then had Aldiko import files. Only problem I had was that long filenames were not transferred.

Also, there are no movies, and no $25 voucher in New Zealand either, also wierd currency exchange as somehow $250 US translates through some mysterious medium to $439 NZ. Wierd.
http://www.asus.com/Tablet/Nexus/Nexus_7/#download

Saw this above link on asus websit ... hope that helps

REgards

Jack