Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Amazon Kindle revealed (on Newsweek cover)

Alright, the whole Kindle thing is getting a little out of hand. I promise I won't say anything more about it (at least for today, *grin*). So, without further ado, here is the frontpage cover of next week's Newsweek which has an exclusive on Amazon's highly anticipated e-book reader (click to enlarge):

Click image for larger version

Name:	newsweekkindle.jpg
Views:	5017
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	7336

For more Kindle small talk (including details from the Newsweek article), check out this thread and also this one.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
So it does look a lot like the advance pictures we saw of it from the FCC.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Well, at least it's white now... before (FCC) it had the same colors like my ancient Commodore C64.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Thanx for the larger version of the image. It does look a bit better than the FCC image.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:02 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But it does have one problem with the cover. Some people might think it has a color capable screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But it does have one problem with the cover. Some people might think it has a color capable screen.
Whether intentional or not, I agree, it's misleading.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
'Interesting' design, but won't a white case look grubby quite quickly?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:48 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Yep, it will get dirty quick.

That won't be a problem, though. I bet you $10 it will also be available in black.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:32 PM   #9
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Interesting page change bars. Hopefully not too easy to change (by accident).

I am still not clear on the connectivity. I assume it can be connected to a PC by USB. Hopefully it will not just work with wireless.

I read a lot of non-DRM stuff so if it does not support non-drm in a decent fashion, it would be no sale for me.

I guess we need to wait until some forum members have one in hand for a REAL unbiased review! That will happen quickly, I assume
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:44 PM   #10
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I guess that depends on whether or not they go for sale in Europe...if I have to import it from the US then it might get tricky...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:50 PM   #11
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Since no one is saying it (in this thread ) I will say it: This is ugly, very ugly!
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:53 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
Interesting page change bars. Hopefully not too easy to change (by accident).

I am still not clear on the connectivity. I assume it can be connected to a PC by USB. Hopefully it will not just work with wireless.

I read a lot of non-DRM stuff so if it does not support non-drm in a decent fashion, it would be no sale for me.

I guess we need to wait until some forum members have one in hand for a REAL unbiased review! That will happen quickly, I assume
I think it's now safe to rely on the manual. Yes, you can connect it to a PC with a USB cable.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:54 PM   #13
seamusfp
Enthusiast
seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
More importantly the white case will cause you to see a white point whiter than the display, causing the already greyish screen to look moreso.
seamusfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:07 PM   #14
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
Using the two pictures as a basis, the slope on the right side might be a good idea. If you have it sitting flat while reading. The slope would be a better idea for leaning your right hand over the keyboard and entering text one handed.
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:55 PM   #15
AlexC
Connoisseur
AlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad; iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Yep, it will get dirty quick.

That won't be a problem, though. I bet you $10 it will also be available in black.
I'm new, but I'll take that bet! I'm guessing that Amazon will let you buy a Kindle in any colour you like, as long as it's white.

Maybe a while after launch, when people have complained long enough, they might relent and break out with off-white or, for the thrill seeker, gasp, black. The tone of the article seemed like they mean for the hardware to fade into the background and be as inoffensive and bland as possible.
AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote