Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #3286
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@MonkeyKong: I see the Jailbreak, and Python, so that's good on that front, at least.

Stupid question incoming: are you sure you're not confusing Python with the ScreenSavers hack? (ie. just installing Python, and not Python, then SS).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:37 AM   #3287
zeev
zeev never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.zeev never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.zeev never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.zeev never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.zeev never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.zeev never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.zeev never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.zeev never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.zeev never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.zeev never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.zeev never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 graphite
Hi,
Eventually, my previous JB wasn't successful, but the lastest one (thankfully provided by MonkyKong) worked fine.
There is also a Phyton file, what's its purpose ?
zeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2014, 03:41 AM   #3288
zeev
zeev never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.zeev never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.zeev never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.zeev never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.zeev never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.zeev never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.zeev never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.zeev never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.zeev never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.zeev never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.zeev never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

I'm still CoolReader targeted ... , and looking for the appropriate version.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #3289
MonkeyKong
MonkeyKong began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3k fw3.4
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Stupid question incoming: are you sure you're not confusing Python with the ScreenSavers hack?
aaaaaand there we go. stupid me
I totally did not see that part on the actual SS after the python section.
sorry, my bad! and I just tried it, and it works just fine. linkss folder is where it should be, my custom screensavers work like a charm.
goodbye, random-collection-of-birds screensaver.

@zeev:

the files I sent you are the ones attached to the first post of this thread.
so if you're missing any files, eg. the uninstall-.bin files, it's all there.
MonkeyKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #3290
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@MonkeyKong: Yay .
Advert
Old 02-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #3291
zeev

@NiLuJe;
I've done some RTFM and found an answer both questions ...
Thanks anyway.

Last edited by zeev; 02-20-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #3292
zeev

It was for the SS and KUAL meaning ...
Old 02-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #3293
zeev

Guys, I must thank you for the help of yours.
I'm after the successful JB (at last ... ) and the CoolReader3 installation (Kindle 3 WiFi, v3.4).

Everything functions well, but there is a question ...
The mobi formatted books look great using the standard Kindle mode, but I couldn't configure the CoolReader3 to display them in the same way (neither the mobi, nor the fb2).

Where am I wrong ?
Old 03-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #3294
ajbos
ajbos began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Where can I find usbnetwork hack for dxg?

I'm trying to convert my dxg into a computer monitor and I read instructions which called for this file: Kindle-usbnetwork-0.37.N.zip

But I don't see it posted anywhere on this thread, only mentions of it.

The updated usbnetwork files are only for kindle 2,3,4 but not dxg.
ajbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #3295
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@ajbos: The DXG build is in the -k2 archive from the first post.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #3296
ajbos

Thanks for the quick reply NiLuJe! I have got my DX to work as a second monitor, unfortunately, my books are not displaying as I'd hoped in portrait orientation.

My reason for connecting the kindle to a computer is that I have a physical disability that makes it difficult to press to 'next page' button on kindle. There is already a product on the market which allows page turning with a more accessible button (http://www.orin.com/access/pagebot/) but it is prohibitively expensive. Do you know of any hacks which would allow page turning to be controlled by a computer key, but that avoids that formatting issues of kindle as a second monitor? (i.e. kindle functions normally as an e-reader, but page turning is directed to computer key)

If someone could figure this out it would be of great service to me and surely others in the disabled community as well. Sadly I am not nearly as smart with computers as others on this forum are... just a guy who wants to make the kindle work better for me.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #3297
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@ajbos: Yup, you can send the required key codes over ssh or telnet, it's a simple one-liner per key.

I don't recall the exact command OTOH, but it came up a few times in this very forum. Try an advanced search with the 'keycode' keyword. Barring that, I'll dig up my K2 at the end of the week to refresh my memory.

I dimly recall people coming up with more complex & user-friendly way to mix it all together, but I don't remember if anything really great ever came out of that.

Granted, that might have been with a K3 or K4, where we have the big advantage of WiFi for this kind of stuff.

EDIT: See the next_page & prev_page functions in /etc/rc.d/functions

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-04-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #3298
ajbos

Yeah I'm having some trouble with this. Found a thread describing how to set up page turning remotely with a cell phone but couldn't get it to work for me. Got stuck on the part where I had to look up my IP address. Apparently there is no way to do this on DXG. Does this have to do with no WiFi?

Regardless, I would definitely appreciate some help on this one. No rush of course I've been been getting by with my current setup for awhile, but am still really interested in optimizing my reading experience! Much thanks.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #3299
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@ajbos: Yep, no WiFi will probably mean a wired setup only.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:13 AM   #3300
CoreyJJohnson
CoreyJJohnson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DS
New Kindle Firmware 3.4 supported?

I just got a new-to-me used Kindle Keyboard (WiFi only)
Has there been any update for using this with Kindle firmware updates 3.3 and 3.4?
I figured I'd ask before I downgrade to 3.1.

Thanks!

PS. After reading the manual again and again, I see some details for my question. I got no results searching the forum for "3.4" but lots more to read now that I am searching for keywords "3.4 version".

My apologies for wasting your time

Thanks again!

Last edited by CoreyJJohnson; 03-09-2014 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Added Kindle version to my question
CoreyJJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet